PS3-T Randy Rhoads Performer review by Jackson

Jackson: PS3-T Randy Rhoads Performer

Purchased from: local music store

95/96 Jackson PS3-T Performer there is no such thing as a PS-37 Look in the old Jackson catalogs. They were made in Japan & Korea. It's got 22 frets and the classic Jackson speed neck with a rosewood fretboard & dots. The body is basswood nothing special there if you're a "tone wood" believer, for the rest of us it's fine because the tone comes from the pickups, sustain block, amp, you know... Stuff that matters with electric guitars. It's got a 1 11/16ths R3 nut for those that didn't know. The tremolo is a cheap Lic Jackson Floyd, darn thing will take a beating it's made from an old cast iron frying pan! It had Seymour Duncan TB - 5 & 6 when I got it, traded those POS away for some sweet EMG's 81/89 with push pull. Tuners are standard Jackson non-locking tuners, the case, non existent, the cases these came with did not last neither did the ones that came with the Professional Series.

It's a metal guitar so yeah it fits the bill. I use this with a first gen 5150 & Carvin MTS 3200 running with a 2101 DigiTech SP, it sounds absolutely great with the EMG's & Amps/FX I am running it with, it's capable of whatever you're looking for with modifications which isn't much when you consider the amount some people are spending on guitars with the same hardware features, you want more sustain switch the block, you want dark heavy riffs load it with EMG's, you want it bright put Seymour Duncan's in it. The only limitations are your own ability to purchase upgrade parts and install them yourself.

I don't know how well it was setup from factory, I didn't buy it new... And who leaves a factory setup on a guitar anyway? I do all my own setups and have for may yrs now. Properly bookmatched top? How would you guys know? You got the sub-model name WRONG! PS-37 heh! But yes, it matches the images in the Jackson catalog for a PS3-T. Properly routed bridge? Yes, the tremolo fit in the cavity just fine. Did it have flaws? Yes, a lot but not bad for a used guitar this age, I think a kid owned it at some time with all the dings it had. I bought it for a project guitar and upgraded all the hardware to USA quality. I'm having it airbrushed this fall, gonna be beast, I'll post pics, promise!

Will this guitar withstand live playing? This is more to the individual if you're rough on your equipment it will show. Does the hardware seem like it will last? The factory hardware made it to me 20 years later, so yeah, it held up pretty good I'd say :D Can you depend on it? Yes! I can, I love playing this guitar. Would you use it on a gig without a backup? Who does that? Nobody does that, I'd say any gigging musician would have at least 2 guitars these day before gigging. Is the finish good enough to last, or does it seem thin and easy to wear off with lots of playing? It's still on the guitar 20 years later, so yeah it held up, I'm sure with the cosmetic beating this took, it was owned by a kid at some point.

I play glam/thrash/death metal it's a fantastic match for those... If you're playing Nirvana or Weezer this is not the guitar for your image. I own WAAAAAY too much gear to list... Been in this more than 20 years now, have a nice collection of vintage gear. If it were stolen/lost, would you buy it again or get something else? Ha-ha! With the money I've invested in this, if I found you, I'd smash your face pretty good! :D It's a RR what's to hate? It's lite weight, plays well, feels good in the hands, I got it because I had a hankering for a Rhoads hadn't had one in a long time. Anything you wish it had? No, it's got everything I wanted on it. Grover locking minis, OFR with hollow points 32mm Stone Tone, and temporally EMG's 81/89 with push pull going to a HET set or 81/60. What more could anyone want... Oh wait till you see the airbrushing on this thing \m/

Ikillintel
    PlayStation? you mean that area in the yard one's parents said it was ok to dig a construction site while playing with Tonka trucks?
    mockbel
    I owned one in the 90's... That was one of my favorite guitars... for me it was a "Jackson" not caring about it's ranking among Jackson different series lines... The most I liked about the guitar was the fretboard and the extremely low action I was able to achieve... my biggest issue with the guitar was the 22 frets.. I sold it in 2005 to get an Ibanez RG320FM to have a 24 frets guitar.. I still have the Ibanez and I like it but somehow I think that the Jackson was a better built guitar..