PS4 Performer review by Jackson

Jackson: PS4 Performer

Being a metal player the guitar fit my style pretty well. I bought this guitar to replace my first guitar (Peavey Predator) back in 1998. It blew that guitar out of the water (not hard). But like most people will say, the pickups are pretty bad, they need to be replaced. The main amp I used with this guitar as factory stock was a Marshall Valvestate VS150. For amount of money I had at the time, this guitar really sounded great for the money. I now use a Marshall JCM2000 DSL100, but the guitar has changed a lot since then (see my overall impression comments).

This guitar and I have been through a lot in the last 11 years. Pickups: After owning the guitar for about 7 years I replaced the crap stock pickups with EMG an 81 and 85, a metal Standard (got rid of the middle pickup). Those pickups totally brought the guitar to life. A few months ago I replaced the EMGs with DiMarzios (CrunchLab in the bridge, Liquifire in the neck). Guitar still sounds awesome. Neck: The neck has been the biggest issue with this guitar. Like I said before, I was told it was bowed between the 1st and 3rd frets. I still have that neck (not on the guitar anymore) but I can't see any problems. I ended up replacing the original neck with a cheap chinese knock off then replaced it again with a bound Jackson neck (can't remember where it came off of). In any case, it is still one of two main guitars and it completely kicks arse!

This is one heck of a reliable guitar for the most part. I still gig with it all the time. It stays in tune and the FR trem is holding up great. My only gripe is with the neck. After owning this guitar for 2 years or so I took it to a guitar tech and was told the neck was bowed between the 1st and 3rd frets and may not be fixable. Would I gig without a backup? Maybe. I hate not having a backup but I have never broken a string on this guitar...seriously.

I bought the guitar 11 years ago, but if I can remember correctly, the guitar was setup great, at least for what I was used to. 11 years later the guitar is still playing great but like I said has changed a lot. The hardware hasn't changed much, but it's still holding great. The only thing I think I've had to replace was a broken saddle block screw.

- Solid, flat top, dinky style, alder body with dark blue finish - 24 fret, unbound, thin, maple neck with compound radius rosewood fretboard, offset Dot inlays and locking nut - Floyd Rose licensed trem - H-S-H passive Jackson pickups with 1 volume & 1 tone control and 5-way pickup selector - Jackson locking tuners - Came with a hardshell case

overheadlifter
    To all PS4 owners: I'm reassembling and didn't realize my pup rings are slanted, meaning thinner one side than the other. Which side goes towards the neck on the neck pup, and which side goes towards bridge on bridge pup.
    saril_malankian
    hah...i got ps-2..how bout that...it need service continuously but still working fine..great guitar compared to the price..
    zer0_da_hero
    Features: 24 fret neck w offset dot inlays, 25.5scale length, H-S-H with a 5 way switch, 1 vol 1 tone, FR license trem. Jackcon tuning heads and bolt on neck. I got mine about 12 years ago new. Sound: The pickups are ok. I dont use the middle pickup its not my kind of sound. I mainly use the bridge pickup and it plays well for leads and rhythm. My general sound is heavy rock/metal. With my tester I get 8.6 Ohms on the bridge PU, 8.3 Ohms on the middle PU, and 8.8 Ohms on the neck PU. So, its certainly not for trash metal out of the box. Im considering putting a DiMarzio Evolution set of Pus (I already have other guitars with EMGs I use for the heavy stuff) Action, fit & finish: It came set up from jackson just right for my taste. Low action, no fret fuzz and a fair amount of float on the FR license trem. It stays fairly tune after deep dives and the deep cut away makes the 24th fret easily accessible. Its a pretty good guitar for leads, the neck feels comfortable and fast. The gloss black finish, and black hardware, is still as new looking as the day I bought it. Reliability: For being over 12 years old, it looks as if it could be hanging on the stores wall and would blend in with the new ones. I do take good care of my stuff but Im impressed with this guitars durability. The only problems are that I had to change the volume and tone pots, they got scratchy over the years , the output jack too due to corrosion and all the small crews due to corrosion. Considering its over 12 years old, thats pretty good. Impression : Im very happy I bought this guitar. Its met my expectations and would recommend it anyone. But if you want to play thrash metal, change the PUs and it will be a great shredding axe. I got a vid of it on youtube
    dethTr0ll
    I have this guitar and I am looking to replace all 3 pickups Im just not sure with what yet. It is a very nice guitar and it was my first jackson. I now have 6 jacksons so yeah this guitar really did it for me.
    1neeto
    Just for this guitar a few days ago and it was kept in almost showroom floor condition. The only signs of its age is on a few rusty screws. The tremolo is fine I'm still breaking in a new set of strings so I'll update on how well the tune holds up later. The sound off the stock pickups is actually not bad. The neck is pretty bassy and the bridge is beight and punchy with way less noise than I expected. The middle single coil has that great strat ton on the clean channel and with little gain it has a nice vintage crunch. Too much distortion and it just sounds like a single coil with too much distortion lol! Overall this thing looks and feels like it was built like a tank, and looks sweet too!
    benard.ubert
    This is the best guitar i have owned. got 3 of them now. it just does not know how to quit on you. stands the test of time. screams like no tomorrow. NEVER goes out of tune. I just cant say enough about this wonder and for the price you just can not go wrong. dont have to change a thing on this one. factory is 100% perfect. dont believe me get one.
    jimi.olschewske
    I bought this guitar used 3 years ago. I paid $300.00 for it. It came with a really nice hard shell case, so it was actually a great deal. The play ability feels nice. The trem works great. You can use it all day/night long. It will not go out of tune. It's a lil on the heavy side, but that to me means it's built well. The only problem that I've had with this guitar is the stock pickups. The neck and bridge Humbuckers are ok I guess. Not noisy. Just too weak for me. I'd rate them at about a 7/10. The center pick up however....is extremely weak. When I use the 2nd, 3rd and 4the position toggle, the volume diminishes significantly. I'd rate that pickup at about a 4 or 5/10. That's just my personal opinion. It can be used with the stock pickups. I however am gonna change all 3. Overall rating of the guitar for the money? I'd say about an 8 or 9/10.
    jpeque1
    anyone who says that the Korean ones are worse than the japanese, are saying that just because of the hype and didn't even compared both. I have a MIK ps4 and a japanese JDR concept, they're pratically the same. they have the same hardware and pickups, the only difference is the body wood (basswood on the JDR and alder on the PS4) and maybe because of that, the ps4 have a more trebly open sound, while the JDR is darker.
    xhairs1970
    I bought mine for just under $200 10 or 12 years ago at a local pawn shop and it was and still is one of the best playing and sounding guitars I have ever owned. I know that there are a multitude of higher end products but this fit my lower budget and since I am not a professional player it has done everything I need it to do and then some. It took me a while to get used to the fret spacing and the 'extra' frets that I was not accustomed to at that point in time but I absolutely love playing this guitar and being able to beat the crap out of it and it staying pretty much in tune is a blessing and brought my playing and ability to a higher level. At this time I see no need to change any of the pickups as I mostly play with the bridge position and the factory unit will crunch hard enough for my playing and hitting natural or pinch harmonics is extremely easy, great sounding, and will ring out seemingly forever. This is my personal favorite guitar, hands down.