RR1 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR1 Rhoads

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

The sound is very bright and clean on the high end, while still moderately thick with the neck p/u (it doesn't have the heavy muddiness of a Les Paul, certainly, but that is not really expected out of an RR anyway). Excellent sound for metal, IMHO, but of course that's subjective and the RR1 could very easily be a great match for other styles of play, though the looks of the guitar might obviously be an issue for some genres. Sustain is typical of guitars with OFR's. No noticable noise what'soever.

My tastes lean toward the harder elements of rock, and this guitar is a great match. I've been playing on and off (mostly off) for 20+ years. Past and present toys include late-80's Gibson SG and LP Studio, and more recently an Epiphone LP Custom and this RR1. I'm very, very glad I bought this RR1, as it's a great instrument and well worth the extra hundreds of dollars over the lower end stuff. No regrets, I'd buy it over again no questions asked. All that BS about uncomfortable sitting positions and nosedives is a bunch of crap. If you buy a $2000+ guitar and use a thin nylon strap that is your problem, lol. It's the most comfortable guitar I've ever had and adjusting to it has definitely improved my playing. It's damn near perfect the way it is and I've never wished it had anything it currently doesn't! Lol Thanks Randy!

What can I say? It feels plenty solid to me, well put together. Nothing is loose, nothing rattles. No complaints or concerns of any sort. I couldn't be happier with overall build quality- $2175 isn't cheap, but I definitely feel that I got my money out of it. Many thousand dollar guitars are of questionable build quality these days- why not just save a bit more for a great one? That extra few hundred dollars will buy you a lifetime of pride and enjoyment. If you stick with playing for a few years, you'll end up wanting and buying a high end guitar anyway. I regret the money I spent on my other new guitar, an Epiphone LP Custom. It's mainly a dust-gatherer nowadays, and feels like a 1970's Plymouth station wagon compared to the Ferrari that is the RR1.

Action is wicked and it plays like a dream. The factory setup was fair- I don't consider this a flaw in the guitar, though. Construction is wonderful throughout- everything is snug & solid, no aesthetic flaws. Attention to detail is excellent- I got what I paid for. Typical problem areas where flaws are commonly found (as on my $750 Epiphone LP Custom), such as poorly seated pots and pooling of finish at the neck joint are non-existent on the RR1. P/U selector Switch is occasionally tempermental (poor connection somewhere) and requires a bit of jiggling once in a while when switching p/u's. Otherwise, perfect.

Manufactured in Ontario, California 2008. Snow white Pearl with black pinstripes. It has 22 jumbo frets, maple neck-thru construction with ebony fretboard, alder body. Original Floyd Rose & passive Seymour Duncan p/u's. Hard Jackson case included. Purchased from American Musical Supply online. No problems with shipping or damage along the way.

Brad325
    My RR1: Built: 1984, the second year of Jackson RR1 production. Built in San Dimas, California Serial number RR 0885, very early build 22 Frets Alder Wings Maple neck thru Black Lacquer Randy Rhodes "Concorde" style body, Student Model Jackson Made string thru bridge Passive dual Humbuckers 2 Vol, 1 Tone (push pull splits bridge coils), 3 way toggle Seymour Duncan JN-J neck, Seymour Duncan DD-J Bridge pickups The "-J" signifies that the pups were wound by Maricela Juarez, SD's head of pickup production Jackson "no logo" tuners, black Original case still with it I am the second owner Originally purchased from Guitar Center San Jose, California The guitar worked with some electrical issues when I got it home but it still played well for just being pulled out of storage since God knows when. I still didn't know the serial number or date of manufacture at this point. I then did a thorough cleaning and pulled it apart to do so. That's when I discovered the little serial number and started to research its history. The guitar was rough and had a few places that the lacquer was starting to crack. Overall the wood was in great shape with no gouges or dings. A few paint chips was the deepest damage. After I saw how special this guitar was in relation to its history, I proceeded to enter a heart attack. Upon my completion of the heart attack, I started to plan the recondition and rebuild. The guitar is thick and heavy for a V, but has awesome balance and feels solid throughout. All brushed aluminum cover and string guide are anodized Black. The rosewood (not ebony) neck has dots, not fins. This was the "student model" difference from the custom RR1's. The Jackson insignia on the head stock has "made in USA" under the son in Jackson. I had never seen this configuration before. I guess I ran into the ultimate find in used guitars. I had no idea what I was walking into at the time of purchase. I was looking for an older run down guitar to fix, finish, and sell. I have been doing this for about two years now as a hobby and I love doing it. This was totally unexpected to have this guitar come into my life under such inconspicuous circumstances. My moves with it now are patient and calculated, as I want to see her in all her glory as it was in 1984.
    CDNRocker
    I bought a Warrior WRMG and tried it through my usual setup (MArshall EL34 100/100 and 2 Marshall 1960B 4x12 cabs) and it was terrible. EMG's suck! Maybe they are good in a bedroom or basement? I swapped them out for Seymours (Parallel axis distortion PATB-2B in the bridge and Jazz SH-2N in the neck) and it kicks ass now. Back on topic...I am going to check out a 1999 RR1 next week. If it's as nice as the pics and eveything's good I am buying it. Steve
    KoK_Guitarist
    I have this guitar but in black and it's sounds pretty ****ing killer with EMGs. I also own a Dean Vendetta Camo. They're both great guitars.
    bodom alexi
    Hate_me_666 i think you might have the jackson js32t cuz judging by your review it sounds nothing like an rr1
    ironcrossman
    hey i was wongering if the js30rr only comes with string thru cause i have a jackson rhoads of some sort it has jackson pickups floyd rose bridge dot inlays so yeah could any1 determin wat model this is thx
    Mceiner
    Defenetly gonna get it 1 day - though i think ill wait till i can get it custom built with 24 frets instead of the 22.. and EMG 81/81 maybe No matter what, i dont think this guitar cuold ever beat the SL2H!
    stu952
    hate_me_666... i'm surprised you even know what a guitar is let alone an RR1. i read your review because i have just orderd an RR1 and thought it would be a good idea to get some insight while i'm waiting. i will never get the 5 minutes of my life back that i wasted trying to decipher your apalling spellilg/punctuation only to realise you may as well have been reviewing a wooden spoon. when my RR1 arrives i will waste no time in posting a review regarding one of my other guitars. for fear of sounding like the rest of the whole world, you really are a retard
    TitoKK
    The Seymour Duncan pick ups that come stock on this guitar are OK, specially the neck PUP for clean stuff and warm soloing. I found the TB 4 (the bridge PUP) a bit lacking for a guitar supposedly designed for metal players. It's OK but it lacks a bit of bit. If plugged straight into a high gain amp like a Dual Rectifier in the highest gain channel, the PUP still lacks some bite. It might sound quite good for hard rock or metal without that crazed high gain, but for a modern crunch it certainly not its specialty. What I did, without going active like an EMG is that installed a Gibson 500t, a high gain ceramic PUP. My Jackson suddenly had that angry bite I was looking for without having to install active circuitry. I know sound is taste that differs from ear to ear, but if I were working in Jackson I'd certainly put a hotter pick up on those RR1s!