RR24 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR24 Rhoads

I run this guitar through a Marshall MG50DFX. I play thrash, black, death, power, and good old heavy metal. It sounds great with a high gain setting, and it is a naturally bright guitar. When I first plugged it in, I immediately turned down the highs, and mids and my amp. When I played my Les Paul I always tried to get a bright sound, but I needed lots of EQ. This guitar makes it so much easier to get my sound. On the clean channel, the pickup sometimes distorts the sound, so I need to keep my gain low. It is, again, very bright, so fingerpicking may be a good way to go, if you want a moderate sound. There is really no way for a warm clean with this guitar, so if you depend on a warm clean, try something else. But I assume that if you want this guitar, you want to rock out, and this thing will deliver. A much more professianal sound from this, than my LP. Less buzz, and an overall better sound. The trem is awesome, and sounds great, you do all the Dimebag stuff with it. Awesome sounding guitar.

For metal, this is a great axe. I'm 13, I've played for 3 years, and it suits me perfect. I wouldn't mind another pickup, just for toggle swiching, to turn it off, but the volume knob is easy to reach and turns down quickly. This thing kicks my Epiphone Les Pauls ass big time, and I'd buy it again if it was stolen. Overall great axe!

I have yet to play this guitar Live, but I will in a couple weeks. I would think that it will withstand Live playing, but I will carry my LP as a backup, just to be safe, and I'll use for alternate tunings. The guitar seems very solid, the strap buttons look good, but I already put straploks on it to be careful. Looks very reliable.

When I got this guitar it looked very solid. After I brought it home, I needed to tighten up the volume pot, as it was already loose. It has incredible action, I love it. The intonation is out, so I will need to get that fixed. The finish is great, and reallt stands out. When I played it in the music store, people would look at it once, then look away real quick, not wanting to stare. It will turn heads, without a doubt.

The Jackson RR24 Rhoads. Part of Jackson's Pro series, made in Japan, and is a brand new model for 2007. It is available in white w. black bevels, black w. red bevels, or (what I bought) black w. yellow bevels. I will give it an 8 in this category, because it has only 1 pickup, but the body and bridge are excellent. The one pickup suits me fine, but it may not attract other people.

ThunderKiss65
    flyingmarlin wrote: this guitar just rips of the alexi laiho sig. so bad... but meh
    didnt the laiho sig rip off the original rhoads V then?
    anti-christian
    ok alexi is a faggot and is not very good at guitar. angus young is horrible and only has 3 chords and same solos. rhoads is the best guitars with dimebag darrell. his guitars are amaznigly good with his amazingly good ability to play. marhsall amps suck. get a half stack-mesa, or crate.
    devilmaycrykid
    aha its the other way around.
    tatersalad9211
    to all the people saying this is a copy of Alexi's ESP, you have to be kidding me... alexi's original guitar was a JACKSON, and he changed to ESP when jackson couldn't replace his guitar fast enough. This is pretty much Alexi's original guitar, and seeing as jackson made that one too, jackson has the right to make this guitar without people saying they copied ESP.
    rider of pigs
    i've been playing about 3 years, and have already gotten one good guitar, a Gibson Les Paul Studio, which is perfect for blues and playing clean, but not great for metal. I think this will be my second guitar, as soon as i raise $1250...
    phenom1991
    yes...anti-christian. A good song Dont have to include 50 chords you ****face!
    wyldeshredder
    hey..in my review i said i turned a lot of controls down...now that the "new guitar smell" is gone, i realize that it is too bright for me...keep in mind i play through an mg...but will be getting a tsl60 soon
    phenom1991
    GuitarManNick : well i see that theres an arguement going about which is better.. ESP or Jackson .... its pretty obvious that ESP LTD copied Jackson, Gibson and Fender guitar designs.... now as for the pu's.... the entry/mid level ESP suck balls, where as the entry/mid level Jackson pu's kick ass.... and as for the Fender and Gibson all of theyre pu's suck balls.... so its pretty obvious that Jackson guitars are 100x better than most of the companies out there..... and as for Alexi Laiho ... **** him....
    Got that damn right.
    hvymtl939
    phenom1991
    Yes but you know LTD guys like to call their guitars ESP...just simply sounds more classy. Btw they might also be comparing it to ESP Edwards...but youre right..esp and ltd is 2 different worlds...but LTD owners rather wont realize that.
    metal_man101
    does it have the shoddy weight distribution like the js30rr?? i heard sumwhere that alot of the RR's do
    phenom1991
    You heard right...the JS300RR has horrible balancing. It drops and is uncomfortable to play standing when doing that. RR24 however is perfectly balanced.
    wyldeshredder
    the JS series are bottom of the line jackson...the rr24 is over 1000 dollars more(canadian atleast.) my rr24 is balanced perfectly,i've never had a problem. probably stay away from the JS series...step up to the X-series if you have the funding...or if you really want to jump up get pro or mg series
    GuitarManNick
    hvymtl939 wrote: Guys, the so called "ESP" you are comparing to this is one of the LTD models, which is similar to the PRS SE line. Still good guitars, but you not buying an actual ESP. They would be well over $2000. Just wanted to point that out.
    ESP guitars are mostly only the artist signatures and custom shop models and they cost 3x as much as LTDs .... thats what the dude at the guitar shop told me...
    HELLSHREDD
    The day i purchased this guitar i played everything i could imagine & when i tried this wonderful axe without a second doubt it came home with me.The guitar is perfect in every way & the EMG-81 kiks .Iam running a Mesa 30watt tube combo , Boss ML-2 metalcore, Ibanez chorus , Boss digital delay& Boss NS-2 noise suppressor & all i can say is i do have the ultimate sound that everytime i play it sends me on the road 2 hell & thats route 666
    DeathByStereo23
    phenom1991
    DeathByStereo23 : I haven't played it yet,so I'll ask: can it be compared to the ESP SV standard for the quality and the sound?
    I dunno bout SV but thats handcrafted and helluva more money it costs too. So the quality must be better i guess. The sound shoud be kinda the same but id guess this one might have a bit more punch. I love the sound...if you want a alexi laiho sound this will deliver..if you want a br00tal sound of your own this will deliver
    phenom1991
    ^Heard several similar cases. Nothing wrong with mine...no one that has tested it thinks so either sso i dunno.
    Metal Midget
    cloned_insanity : I guess ESP did rip off jackson, BUT, ESP is also an awesome guitar. So you can't really critisize They didn't rip jackson off. So Alexi likes the rhoads shape. maybe it wasn't just right for him, he went to the esp cutom shop, and they made it perfect for him. Neither one ripped them off, useing thier original design shows that Randy Rhoads(RIP) KNew what the **** he was doing when he designed it.
    phenom1991
    Alexi started using ESP coz his jacksons was stolen...He might be playing them today if they werent. Only one who could do his bidding was ESP at the time so he got endorsed with them.
    HELLSHREDD
    Ive owned this guitar for 2 months now & its still kikn arse, ive changed my amp to the new line 6 spidervalve 40watt, cuz i needed more power ,got rid of the pedals & now the house shakes & neighbors look at me differently when i exit the dungeon. All in all this guitar stands up with the top metal axes out there.....My next purchase is a gibson explorer just cuz they are so sexy 2
    HELLSHREDD
    I picked up my Gibson explorer goth II with emgs & now i have what i want , Metal is what i love & now ive got what i need or maybe a King V is next , OMG i cant stop!
    flakelorenz
    The ESP standard is about 300 more, is it any better than this? I've got an ESP ltd KH602 and a Standard Eclipse so i've had exprience with them but not jacksons
    flakelorenz
    phenom1991 wrote: Do you mean the ESP alexi sawtooth/scythe ? And no im not talking about LTD. The REAL ESP is probably better quality.
    Nope not a signature model. The standard series ESPs of SV guitars, i want to know which is better
    phenom1991
    THats preference...ofcourse the SV is better quality when its also higher price and it has 2 pickups mainly preference.
    phenom1991
    This is me playing Jackson RR24...the riff turned out wrong at some part but yes...shits always shit.
    tripyhaze
    Alexi dident rip off randy or esp rip off jackson. Alexi did use jackson but they dident get him a new guitar in time so he was kinda forced into a different company wich is was ESP. Many other companies use the RR shape its realy common. Plus this is a alexi rip.24 frets,emg 81(he uses a hz with gain boost,pritty much same as 81),singly bridge humbucker,floyde rose and comes in black with yellow pinstripes.
    DeathByStereo23
    Definitively I not agree with that,personally I think that ESP are waaay better than Jacksons (obviously standard models). Maybe you've never tried out an ESP,unless you may notice there's a difference...
    phenom1991
    the finish on mine wasnt as you described however i know there are many owners who have very sloppy versions of them...i personally liked it but it is as always my opinion
    Michel Metal
    I am a huge fan of Jackson guitars and I own a few, ranging from RR1, KV2 and Soloist. I am allways very pleased with the build quality of these guitars, but when I picked up a RR24 recently I was very displeased with what I saw and felt. The guitar felt very cheap and the guitar weight to little to have a quality feel. I was (am) very disapointed. Allso Jackson guitars are famous for their finish, and this one had a very rough paint job!! Drips all over the finish (the shop had one with white/black bavels), it was a very sloppy paint job. Even the hardware was of a bad quality and fitted badly. I am very disapoited and I blame this on the take over by Fender, it feels like one, very sad!!! If I would rate this guitar I would give it a 5 out of 10. Michel.
    Dead_edd
    i'm sorry but i played this guitar recently in a local guitar shop and it really wasnt what i was expecting it to be, the whole guitar just felt wrong. i felt really let down as i'm a big fan of jackson.
    High_o
    how could the MG be krap, Wylde plays, it Marry plays it and many other great guitarists.
    that is absolutely hi-larious. ZW is paid to pretend that MGs are good amps
    cloned_insanity
    Frankie Sparks
    I agree. I play through a Crate 120 watt with a Laney cabinet, I'm at school so I have no idea what the actual name is. Yes, Alexi did rip off of the Rhoads, but he was probably Alexi's god. Alexi is a kick ASS guitarist, so you can't criticize him... The only thing I would change is that I like rosewood fingerboards better than ebony, personally. I play a Jackson DKMG Dinky. I'd like to try out an ESP, they sound pretty killer.
    ckmma
    don't the ESP versions have a longer lower horn so that jackson can't sue them for copying the design?
    Cied Shredder
    I played it and found it terrible. No versatility at all plus ugly as hell to match. Plus not to mention much better is available for the money.
    pariah452
    ac/dc_voltage wrote: man this guitar kicks ass. randy rhoads is an isane metal god! not as good as angus, but man hes good. and the guitar is nice too
    Rofl Angus better than Rhoads you know NOTHING. Anugs is horrible. Randy is 10x the guitarist angus ever was or ever will be. That is not opinion either thats ****ing fact.
    phenom1991
    cloned_insanity : I guess ESP did rip off jackson, BUT, ESP is also an awesome guitar. So you can't really critisize Yeah ESPs are great...no doubt bout it. But jacksons are also awesome guitars...plus ESP have the advantage of getting handmade!
    phenom1991
    and im not getting mg anymore even though i was stupid enough to put it on my review ill get peavey windsor instead