RR3 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR3 Rhoads

I play in a progressive death metal band and this guitar suits the style extremely well. Even though it looks like a great metal guitar, it actually has great clean tone, very remniscent of a Strat with humbuckers. I run this guitar into custom settings on a Digitech GNX and out of a Marshall AVT150 amp. A very dark sound on the neck and a piercing lead tone on the neck pickup, the notes of complex chords come through amazingly well which is important when the distortion is turned up considerably. I believe that this guitar can play any genre of music, you would just look quite silly playing a jazz concert with one of these.

Again, I play stuff varying from death metal to rock, and this guitar is perfect for all of it. I've been playing for around 3 years, and I also own an Epiphone LP Custom (SD pickups) and a Takamine EG10SC. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely buy it again, I love the shape and feel of this guitar, and the sound will be truly amazing with a pickup change. The only things I wish it had was a real Floyd, ebony fretboard, neck thru design and better pickups, though that is why I'm going to customize this a little bit while saving up for a USA RR1.

Have used it at band practice once already and she handles great. Hardware should last, if not, it's easy and fairly inexpensive to replace. Strap buttons were changed to strap locks immediately because I don't trust regular buttons. Only a fool would use a guitar for a gig with no backup, but I'd say it is extremely reliable. Finish doesn't seem like it will wear off.

The guitar was set-up extremely well, one of the reasons it talked me into buying it. Bridge is perfectly routed and setup for the string gauge, there are no flaws on this guitar at all, which I am happy about since after a few days of getting a guitar I always find some fret buzz or something.

Probably made in early 2000's, or late 90's. 22 frets on a maple neck and rosewood fretboard. Solid alder body, with a black finish. The body style is Rhoads V, which is an infamous metal guitar style. Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose, two Duncan Detonators which sound surprisingly good. 2 volumes and a tone with a three way selector. It's a double locking tremolo, so there's a locking nut with Jackson tuners.