RR3 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR3 Rhoads

Purchased from: Musician's Friend

It's an alright sounding guitar when clean I suppose. It's no Fender Telecaster or anything, but it could be better. With distortion/overdrive - another story. It'll give you some powerful sounds when wailing about the strings, but as stated above, the pickups could have been better.

If you like playing hard rock, metal, etc, then this kinda guitar is for you. It has the looks, the feel, and all that good stuff. A good lead guitar for any fast finger. If this axe was stolen or somehow got lost, I'd buy another one. Just replace the pickups on this guitar and it'll be the styled guitar I've always wanted. The best thing I love about the guitar is it's light weight, and how easy it is to soar over the frets and up and down the neck. Again, I wish this guitar came with better pickups for the price, but besides this little thing, I recomend it to anyone that wants to play some metal!

I've used this guitar when playing live, and it seems like all the stuff will last unless you bang it up against a few things. The guitar is super light and a hollow-body guitar. I also tend to break strings a lot with this guitar as well, so I would always bring a back up just incase this were to happen. The finish on the guitar is also wearing down and wears down easily through a lot of playing.

Buying from Musician's Friend for about a year now, and I haven't had any problems yet. Nothing I've purchased from them has had any flaws, dings, breaks, etc.

I'm not quite sure what year it was made in, but it has 22 jumbo frets. A bolt-on neck which would usually give me trouble in reaching the higher frets but in this case not, and the shark fin inlays for the frets are a nice little thing to have on the guitar. It's also easy to fly up and down the neck as well when soloing/shredding which is always a plus. The overall look of the guitar is awesome (of course being from the great Randy Rhoads), but due to the design of the guitar it's very easy to get a few dings on the upper fin of the guitar. Also you will need to purchase a special case to fit the RR3 Model in. The guitar also sports a Floyd Rose which is always good. Stays in tune when the strings are "broke in" properly, otherwise you'll be tuning it over and over. Now, for something not-so-good about the guitar: pickups. The Seymour Duncan Detinators are not what I would expect for the price, but they aren't that bad, either. I'm going to place some EMG 61/81 set on there soon and see what this axe can bring in for with the better sounding stuff.