RR3 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR3 Rhoads

Purchased from: Peter Cook's Guitar World

It's fairly obvious from it's vicious looks that this guitar is just begging for distortion, and it doesn't disappoint. The bridge JB provides an audio kick in the face when you stab at powerchords and chugs like a runaway train when you apply some Slayer-esque gallop rhythms. The neck pickup is best at lead playing, providing a smooth, warm tone. Even with extreme distortion and bass, your sound doesn't end up all sludgy, notes keep their clarity no matter what. Roll the volume controls all the way down and instead of muting the guitar, you are given a warm, bluesy clean tone that starts to snarl when you really dig in hard. The clean tones really surprised me. From a typical 'metal' guitar you would expect all the atention to go into the filthy side of things, but the Jazz pickup in the neck, and both pickups combined, provide a great clean sound with plenty of character. Perfect for any time you want to roll off the gain and lay down some atmospheric arpeggiated chord sequances.

I tend to play mostly metal and shred which this guitar suited perfectly, but it coped extremely well every other style I threw at it, from blues to Indie and funk. This guitar is extremely versatile and will excel in any situation. I ran it through my Marshall MG100DFX and Jim Dunlop Original Wah, and with it I achieved new sounds from my set-up that I couldn't with my other guitars (Jackson JS30KV and a Westone Goth). If it were stolen, I would hunt down the thief and beat them to death with an amp. Failing that, I would definitely buy another. I love everything about this guitar, but the EDS finish really makes it stand out from the crowd. I even manage seated practise with it, something you barely hear about a V-shape guitar. I bought this guitar happily over a Dean Razorback (665), a USA Custom Shop Jackson KV (1399) and an Ibanez JEM (1299) and to this day, I am still to regret it.

This guitar can handle Live playing really well, the tuning's solid as a Diamond, it balances perfectly from a strap around my neck and as the input jack is located on the upper part of the 'V', your lead is kept well out of the way of your feet. The strap buttons are solid as hell, but I would personally Switch to a locking set. You should take extra care about dropping a guitar this pointy. I have complete trust in this guitar, but I would take along a backup, a string breakage will spell catastrophe otherwise (the tremolo will plummet into the body, every string will go out of tune and it will take a while to fix. That's how it is with locking trems, so it's no surprise).

On my model, the Floyd Rose was perfectly balanced and the action is amazing. It's so low that bends and legato seem effortless, but with no string buzz at all, anywhere along the fretboard. The neck is thin like an Ibanez, so shreddy runs were a pleasure to play. The pickups were at optimum height, just enough treble, just enough bass. The Floyd Rose kept it in tune, even after extreme whammy bar use. Switching between pickups is kept totally silent, even on a high volume and distortion setting. The volume knobs glide effortlessly with none of that stickiness you get on cheaper models.

The RR3's body is a beautifully crafted piece of alder with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard with shark-fin inlays and 22 jumbo frets, more than enough for all but the most hardcore widdlers (but even then it's got enough). When I originally went into the store I was after the black finish, but my eyes alighted on the Eerie Desert Swirl finish, and I just fell in love with it. Looks aside, it has some top-notch hardware on it. Featuring a fully-licensed Floyd Rose double-locking tremolo, Seymour Duncan humbucking pickups (the famous JB model in the bridge and a jazz model in the neck position), separate wolume controls for each pickup. This is the kind of hardware you would expect on guitars costing way more than the RR3.

metallica_man2
    my black rr3 was 665$ canadian. the dess wirl was over a hundred dollars more, no way am i payiong that much more for a pretty paint job
    ronan-the-great
    I got one in transparent black and they tried to charge me 830 euro (1100 DOLLARS) but got it for 650 euro (870 dollars) and it is amazing
    dan ramP
    man im soo close to getting one of these things, have to wait till after my gcse's though. 10 days 2 go >
    kelvov
    d_lord1 wrote: I'm thinking of buying this in black and then replacing the pickups with an EMG 81 and an EMG 85, would that work?
    d_lord1
    Maggot66
    I saw this thing at a musicstore in Transparent red for almost $900 canadian.. now I'm pretty sure it was over priced.. but yeah.. Is it really worth that much? It look awesome, but I can't afford it.. and isn't just solid black cheaper?
    metallica_man2
    ronan-the-great : is the fret access limited it looks as though the body starts at the 15th fret.
    the body starts at the 17th fret, reaching the end isnt a problem
    Demonikk
    The body doesn't start to branch out until the 18th fret and, because it's a V shape, fret access isn't limited at all, possibly because it only has 22.
    Has anyone any links to decent pictures of all the colours?
    Again, check out www.jacksonguitars.com
    445? i found it for 375
    Yes, but the Eerie Dess Swirl finish costs a fair bit extra. Flat/metallic finished models are around 365
    kelvov
    Put the shorter point between your legs? I'm thinking of buying this, i just want to see all the different colours! I can only find a few. Has anyone any links to decent pictures of all the colours? Thanks in advence
    d_lord1
    445? i found it for 375 and I'm thinking of buying it, my only worry is if I would be able to play it sitting down, can anyone advise me/ help me with this?
    Demonikk
    And please note that the price was a bit messed uip on my review. I paid 445GBP for it.
    Demonikk
    Lambda wrote: this guitar is tits, but the jackson floyd rose is really retarded, it makes you do much more work to change strings, and the pickups are lacking in the treble department. replace those two parts, and you have one bitchin' guitar my friends
    A Floyd Rose is a Floyd Rose, they're all just the same to restring, so it's not the guitar's fault. Need more treble in the pickups? Try raising them, fiddling around with your amp's EQ (scoop the bass or raise the mid or treble, c'mon it's not that hard)
    sandman321 wrote: the shapes not bad...just put the lower pointy thing imbetween your legs when you play sitting down. i cant find a large picture of the black rr3 cause thats the one im thinking of getting
    Try on www.jacksonguitars.com you can find big pics of most of their guitars up there
    metalhead_365 wrote: im getting an rr3 in eerie dess swirl how much do they weigh? thanks .
    The Eerie Dess swirl finish is well worth paying extra for in my opinion. Mine weighs about 4kg including strap with metal studs.
    Lambda
    shpongle
    I got the new version. The Seymour Duncans are kickass. And also the floyd rose is amazing. Much better than on my older guitar. Its not very light no.
    tonsa92
    that rr3 is a dream come true! (not almost) it's worth of money. good floyd rose.