RR3 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR3 Rhoads

Purchased from: Guitar Source

It suits my musical style (Metal) quite well. It looks like a metal guitar, but more importantly it sounds like a metal guitar. Currently I'm running it through a Roland Cube 30X, but I have my sights set on a B52 AT and I'm just waiting to pull the trigger. A very balanced tone/sound with this guitar, the Alder really helps because the Bass, Mids, and Treble are all pretty even. It plays beautifully when played acoustically. The Bridge Pup is good for distortion, but only decent for cleans. The Neck Pickup has Ok cleans but give it any distortion and You'll regret it. It flounders under any distortion. I give it a 7 for a great guitar except for the pickups, If they were decent pickups it would be at least a 9.

Like I said I play Heavy Metal and this guitar is great for it. I've been playing for almost a year and a half, this wasn't my first guitar. Something I wish I had asked before buying it? Hmm... "what are your prices on decent pickups?" I plan to replace them because then this guitar will be the hugest bang for buck $400 guitar on the market, well worth the money. If it were stolen/ lost I would find another one just like it. I love the chrome Hardware, the transparent blue finish, the LFR (which is pretty good) I hate the pickups, I really do, the bridge isnt so bad but the neck pup is horrendous. At the same time as loving it, I hate the LFR, switching tunings is a pain. If this guitar had decent SD's or DiMarzio's or even *gasp* Bare Knuckles it would be like I got a $1000 guitar for $400. Overall great guitar brought down by shit pickups. 8/10 Overall.

This guitar will survive Live playing, I'd watch out for the tips of the V though. The hardware is fine, it's not going anywhere. Everything is solid as a tank. You can really depend on this guitar, I would never gig without a backup, thats just stupid, but would I trust the guitar enough to not need to use the backup? Absolutely. 9. For all around solid-ness.

The action was a little low for my tastes, but that says nothing because I like it high anyway. Pickups were also a little low, had to raise them. No other problems, other than that it was flawless. 9, for easily adjustable "problems" that really come down to taste anyway.

First Off this is the RR3 Pro, but the discontinued version (discontinued: 2006) with Chrome Hardware and Duncan Designed Pups. It was made in Japan. 22 Jumbo frets, with a thin flat neck, and Rosewood Fingerboard. Beautiful flamed maple top. Body wood is Alder, Neck is Maple. Comes in the good ol' RR shape. Jackson Licensed Floyd Rose. Passive Duncan Designed Detonators in the Bridge and Neck. Jackson Tuners. Hard case came with it. It gets an 8 for features because the features arnt great, but they're good. LFR is good. Stays in tune quite nicely, I've owned it for almost a year and a half and I've never had any problems. The pickups bring it down though.

CptRevell
    You can EQ it down, but it's natural sound is more suited to 80's metal/thrash. The stock pups in mine aren't quite beefy enough to get a great death sort of tone, but with some tweaking I can get a serviceable tone for heavier things.
    Ali-b912
    $lipKnoT wrote: is this any good for real metal?
    Slipknot and real metal. No comment. Anyway, for death metal you probably want the MTM2, because it has EMG's and it's built for downtuning. That said, you might get shit for owning a slipknot signature model. The RR3 is more associated with thrash metal, and the seymour duncans won't do great in low tunings.