RR3 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR3 Rhoads

Price paid: € 200

My music style consists purely of metal in all of its various forms which is a good thing as this is what this guitar was made for. I play this through a 150 watt Line 6 Spider 2 amp on the Insane setting most of the time. From low crunching riffs to lightspeed solos this baby delivers! The only problem is if the volume controls are too high then you begin to lose note clarity and begin to sound out of tune. But this is simply fixed by keeping the volume controls down around the 7 range. The pickups provide a warm sound(great for A7X's sound) and I use Earnie Ball Super Slinky strings which give a bright sound and are great for harmonics. A major problem with this guitar for some players may be its lack of versatility in sound. However, I doubt that if you buy this guitar that you will be playing any blues or jazz with it.

I mainly play metal so this guitar fits me perfectly. I have been playing for over 2 years now and I bought the RR3 to replace my Jackson JS30DK and to step up into the intermediate player range. If it was stolen I would definently buy another RR3 but maybe with a better floyd rose system. I love the pickups and the shape of the guitar but the floyd rose could be better.

I would take the chance of playing this live as long as I didn't touch the whammy bar. Although I would bring a back up guitar just in case of any tuning problems. The guitar looks and sounds too good to be kept for practice sessions, it deserves an audience. The hardware is all pretty solid and works fine. Since 2004 the finish has suffered some wear and tear with some paint chips on the horns and scratches around the pickups from playing. However, this can only be seen by close inspection. For the age of this guitar this kind of wear seems normal and the hardware all feels like it will last another few years.

When I first received the guitar, the low E string was way too high but a set-up at a local guitar shop later and it was perfect. I don't think this had anything to do with the factory set-up but may have been caused by the previous owner. Another flaw is the licensed floyd rose. It doesn't hold tunings very well especially low tunings. Any divebombs will knock the tuning out unfortunately. This has led me to resort to resisting any use of the whammy bar.

My RR3 was made in Japan in 2004. It has 22 jumbo frets on a rosewood fingerboard with pearl Shark fin inlays. The body is made from alder with a bolt-on maple neck. The neck is very slim and excellent for shredding on. The body is painted in a black gloss finish with chrome hardware. It also has a double locking licensed floyd rose. The pickups are two Duncan Designed Detonaters which are passive but could go toe-to-toe with active pickups. There are also 6-in-a-line sealed die cast tuners, 2 volume controls, 1 tone control and a 3 way selector switch. Included in the price was a guitar stand made especially for the RR body shape. All in all the guitar comes with great features for the price.

RRhoads3
    VaN HaLeN555 wrote: smokedhamtaro wrote: Got my rr3 last week. Its fricken mint, but it does take some time to get used to playing classical style. y would u want to play classical music on a rr3?
    Never heard of Randy Rhoads? The RR might of gave it away, I guess not.
    megadethfan 666
    i love this guitar, it was my favorite until i got my rr1 and there is no guitar that is better than my rr1
    trashbeast
    MaddMann274 wrote: I bet half of those people b1tchin about playing this seated doesn't know how to hold a V style guitar.
    ya cause you really gotta be a genius to figure that out, right?
    Tyebuut
    Am I correct in understanding that people are giving this guitar 9's and 10's? It's such a cheap toy compared to the RR1. The Duncan Designed (their low quality line) pickups are muddy. The "Licensed under Floyd Rose patents" Jackson tremelo does not give the range one should expect from a floating bridge and it does not stay in tune. Most of the hardware is cheap and feels fragile. I had to replace the pickups and bridge in my RR3, just to get it to sound semi-respectable.