RR5 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR5 Rhoads

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Fits my style perfect, a mix of Metal/Rock/and even some blues, from everything from Killswitch Engage to Metallica to Black Label Society. I run it through either a small Kustom amp, or a Peavey. Since my Kustom has an overdrive button, I mostly use that, but on my Peavey is use my Wydle Overdrive pedal (Zakk Wylde). Great variety of sound, can go from crunchy rhythms to screaming solos like nothing.

I've been playing a little over a year, I also own a Fender Stratocaster (Mex), Ibanez RG220, Kustom Amp, 2 Peaveys (a small one, and a tube amp 4X12"speakers), Wylde Overdrive, Monster Cables. If it were stolen id be pissed as hell, id buy a new one. It's awesome, the finish, the versatility, the look, the way it plays. The only thing I have against it its made in Japan. The finish is probably my favorite feature. I spent a day at Sam Ash playing everything from Epiphones, Jacksons, acoustics, Ibanezs, and a couple used Gibsons Les Pauls.

The only problem this guitar would have playing live is the long wing is long, and if your used to a Strat or something that doesnt stick out a little, could easily get banged up against an amp or something. Hardware seems like it'll last a long time, I dont play live, but I play often and its held up great.

Great finish with the pinstripes. The only thing I was curious about was the guitar was white w/black pinstripes but the headstock was black, but I really dont care. And I had to tighting one of the screws on the pickgaurd but overall no flaws.

Made in 2005, Japan. it has 22 jumbo frets with sharkfin inlays. Alder body with maple neck, and Rosewood fretboard. it has the ivory paint with black pinstripes and gold hardware. It's got a Tune-O-Matic bridge with a string thru body. 2 volume, 1 tone and 3-way switching. Duncan designed humbuckers.

Firewind Raging
    poopsmith666 wrote: PLZKLLME0080 wrote: i think i saw Kirk Hammett playing one of these at a concert. correct. It was during the "Live Shit" times, and a bit before and after
    Nah, Kirk's is an RR1T (an RR1 with a tune-o-matic bridge). Also, he still uses it live.
    dnamra13
    im looking to buy a rr guitar and this one has my eye but only the gold bothers me is there a way to get rid of the v plate and the pickguard and just have the pinstripes with no pickguard
    joe124
    Rui Brito wrote: emokiller17 wrote: You cant get 24 frets on Rhandy Rhoads can you? how much are they? Of course you can but only from the Jackson U.S.A. custom shop, and it will cost something around 4000 bucks. There are other brands that make it, such as the ESP custom shop but as this brand doesn't own the patent of the Rhoads V design, so it will be more expensive, something around 5400 bucks. So I think you won't try this one.
    well acualy you can get a rr24 now which has 24frets,a floyd rose and a single emg 81 active 'bucker all for about 800
    jackson rr5
    these are seriously awsome guitars i got one and its just awsome every one should own or play one
    poopsmith666
    Dr.Tomahawk wrote: I thought the RR5 had Seymour Duncan SH4 Humbuckers? Not Duncan Designed Humbuckers as OutofTune said in his review??
    The pickups are actually Duncan TB4s, not SH4's, or duncan designed.
    INNOCENT VICTIM wrote: I am gonna get one with 24 frets and a whammy/vibrato bar!! I CAN"T WAIT!!!
    The new Jackson RR24 has 24 frets and an Original Floyd Rose
    poopsmith666
    correct. It was during the "Live Shit" times, and a bit before and after
    helcyon
    I know this is not that recent a guitar but it's taken me 'til now to get one and it wasn't worth the wait... I should've got one sooner!! This guitar blows away any other I've ever owned including Gibson les pauls and flying v's. I've been really really pleased with my RR3 that I've had for a while (won't be getting rid of it no way) but the RR5 is on another level. It is awesome. Now i don't like the gold hardware much (ick) ... but I got this way cheap as a new but floor stock model in an unpopular blue colour (the headstock is blue too... cool) but who cares what it looks like... this thing is unconquerable... no argument. I've always been a fan of Duncan SH4's and this just reminds me why. Get one now... don't waste time waiting like me!
    thecameronator
    [I Buy Peace] wrote: You don't really need 24 frets on a guitar though. I've being playing for 5 years and never encounterd a song that requiers a axe with 24 frets. Plus haveing more frets leaves less space inbetween your pickups it pick. rr5's are awsome though, I'm hopefully getting one soon.
    i know there not common but ive only bin play for a year and a half and found a few tabs that need 24 fretts
    WarCreekMafia
    I've owned an RR5 (ivory, black pinstripe, gold hardware) for a couple of years now, and it's my number 1 axe. I play extensively in a gigging band, and this is one piece of heavy metal. Absolutely flawless in design and construction. Hands down it's the best guitar I've ever played. Loved it so much that I recently bought the black one. Highly recommended for any guitar player that likes to shred!
    helcyon
    Incidentally, I have a pic of the late Dimebag playing this guitar (the ivory one). One thing you could say about it is that, like many factory guitars, it probably wouldn't hurt to beef up the shielding to eliminate hum. There's some good pages on the interweb that explain how if you look...
    HELLSHREDD
    some of you guys think that there are no 24 fret guitars other than paying 4000$,lol Check out the RR24 with the single EMG81 , i paid 1200 for mine , shred on shredheads
    will-loves-zep
    flakelorenz
    N
    will-loves-zep wrote: can anyone find a picture of the blue one? and do they make an all black model? i want one next, i have a ltd m-200fm and want a non floyd rose metal axe
    Nope they don't do an all black one, you could however just change the pickguard tail piece and knobs... it'd almost black then... I think this will be a step up quality wise from an M-200 even if it is an ESP
    Explorer Man
    Are you sure he was playing this one because he only did in early days. But he plays a similar model for sad but true.
    HELLSHREDD
    24 frets is available on the RR-24
    chROniCmiKe
    well, i am a solo guitar player, my genre: undefined as of yet... anyways i constantly have to pre-bend my 22nd fret so that i can make a 24th fret note, so i am always looking in earnest for a bad@$$ 24-fret guitar... they're hard to find.
    Carrot
    hey ive got a ESP LTD MH400NT and was wondering is there much difference between the two? i know the pups are different so please dont say that or that one is ESP and one is jackson lol help me guys thanks
    will22
    can you get one of these with a tremelo?if so how much extra will it cost??
    Justice_Fish
    You don't have to be pissed off if it's made in japan, Jackson set a factory in japan in the 80's and it's their second best factory, the first being in USA.
    [I Buy Peace]
    Kain_Doom01
    I played this guitar through a Marshall Amp, I still am washing the stains from my pants (in a good, but bad for the pants way)
    Kain_Doom01
    Metallica songs CAN require that 24 fret boost, but it's not Needed to play the solos...not that they're advanced x.x Oo! a 24th fret can replace a pinch harmonic too XD
    Divinity Within
    i own this guitar, ive had it for 8 months and it is the greatest guitar i have ever played. only improvement you can make to it is to get a new pickgaurd, one that isnt so shiney, as this pickgaurd will blind the audience when the light hits it. otherwise, amazing guitar
    Rocketboy
    I tried one of these about a week ago. I couldn't tell the difference between this and the RR1. Except for the price.
    Dr.Tomahawk
    Intheshadows
    I have an RR5 with the black pinstripes! I don't have the black headstock though, and I have proper Seymour Duncans with mine, I think there SH4's! I think it depends were you buy your guitar from to be honest. Fuckin' amazing guitars. Never regretter getting in once!
    Intheshadows
    Hmm yea. I just read the review for a jackson rr1.. and i'm really liking the ferrari red with black bevels. Omg! Fuckin' sexy guitar lmao
    ShimmyShimmy
    i saw this at guitar center, it is what a guitar should look like! i then proceeded to plug it into a JCM 2000 TSL stack, and well....as someone stated before, jizzed my pants
    Rui Brito
    Hey guys. I found the solution for all of you who want 24 frets Rhoads. Go to www.ranguitars.com and make a custom quote. You can ask for any guitar you want and it will cost you a maximum of 2000 bucks. This guitars are really top quality, believe me. They are so cheap because this brand is from Poland and Poland is not a rich country so the prices there are really low.
    d_lord1
    The RR5 sounds so awesome, I saw one in my local guitar shop the colours (White with black pinstripes and gold bridge and pickguard) looked so cool as well. I'm just pissed off because I don't have much money - the most I'd be able to spend on a guitar is a bout 300 pounds. Oh, and the JS30RR as 24 frets, and its f***ing cheap as well, I think I might get one soon.
    Rui Brito
    Yes that's true, the JS30RR as 24 frets, but it's very uncomfortable to play with because the input jack is on the lower wing and the neck joint is a bolt-on so it's very hard to play in the high register. The RR5 has a neck-thru joint and thus it has no heel which makes it a lot easier to play than the RR5.
    metallica_102