RR5 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR5 Rhoads

Purchased from: Manny's Music NYC

I play mostly thrash metal like metallica/iron maiden, although I play classic rock and blues occaisionally. it works very well for metal, and also great for rock. when playing blues, I find the neck pickup on clean to sound really good, and it does heavy blues well when I turn the distortion down a little. I use a Fender Frontman 15G amp, and it even sounds good through that. the guitar has had shredding done on it and sounds great, and pinch harmonics work very well on it. I'm sure it could play jazz with ease if I tried.

as mentioned already, it matches my choice of metal very well. I've been playing for 4 years, and I own an Ibanez SA series guitar, a Fender frontman 15 amp, and an acoustic and bass. it easily outsounds my Ibanez for Metal and Rock, although I prefer the neck setting on my Ibanez for Heavy Blues. I asked about the low price in comparison to another RR5 on display (for $1199) and both guys I asked seemed to have no idea about it's lower price. I'm assuming it was the chipped fins. If it were stolen, I'd probably look for something new to explore. I love the sound and shape of this guitar, it stands out with how it looks and sounds great doing it. I compared it to several other guitars including a Green ESP Eclipse Custom, an ESP LTD EX 400 and 260, an Ibanez AC of some sort, and a red Schecter C1 or something (had dual EMG's with coil taps on both). the Schecter was the only one to compete in sound, and I preferred the ease of passive pickups on the RR5. I wish it had locking tuners, straplocks, a tonepros bridge, and gold frets, but those are just unneccesary extra's really.

I think this thing can stand up to Live playing pretty well. the paint is relatively thin, and may chip easily, not to mention the giant spikes being damaged. the finish seems tough, and doesnt't have any dents. the strap buttons are relatively large, but the one on the tailfin comes a bit loose sometimes, and I plan on replacing them with straplocks. I would depend on this guitar to get me through a gig without breaking, but I always like to keep a backup regardless.

When I tried it at the shop it seemed in very good condition. when I got it home, I realised the tip of the headstock, and the upper horn had both been repainted and coated. it is barely noticeable so I don't particularly mind. the hardware is somewhat oxidized, but I believe it had been a floor model since it was shipped, and It doesnt't bother me as I can clean it. The setup seems fine, but I'm going to have it redone to make sure. the pickups seem slightly higher then they should be, and the control plate is a bit loose. these are all things I can fix though and I am happy with the finish

Mr RR5 is an 06' model (I assume, can't find a guide to date it) and Made in Japan. It's got 22 Jumbo Frets, 25.5" scale, Rosewood fretboard, Neckthrough. The body is made of alder, and is painted a cream/ivory color, with black pinstripes. The hardware is gold, the bridge is a string thru with a Jackson tune-o-matic. It has 2 Seymour Duncan JB SH4 pickups, with 2 volume controls, 1 tone control and a 3 way selector Switch. the tuners are non locking and no idea what brand, Jackson stock I presume.

deathrazor27
    this is a great guitar in my opinion. i think it sounds great and plays well. it also has cool finishes