RR5 Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR5 Rhoads

Purchased from: Ebay

This guitar suits my music style very well, I play mostly metal, enjoy shredding, but also a bit of blues etc. This guitar covers all, and sounds meaty on a high distortion setting, but also bright and has a decent amount of top end on clean also. I use a Marshall AVT-150 head and cab, this guitar sounds great through that for what i use it for. It is not normally noisy, and you can use the pickup selector as a killswitch is you turn down one of the pickups to cut out string ring between songs. Great variety of styles available with this guitar.

It is a great match for what I play and gives a great look on stage, draws the attention of the crowd, and adds to the performance instantly. I have been playing about 4 years, and I play a lot, this guitar has served me well in the intense year that I've had it. I don't regret buying this in the slightest and would buy another if it were stolen. I compared it to many similar priced guitars on the metal market and was considering the rr24 and some ESP equivelents, I then saw the price of this guitar on ebay and couldnt let it go. I am glad however that I ended up with this, and would do the same again.

This guitar definately withstands live playing, as I have used it at many gigs, the haardware was fine when I recieved it and is still standing now, a year on. I have gigged with it without a back up, when I could not fit the other in the car and it was fine, though I feel more comfortable bringing a spare, just for safety.

As stated above, I bought this guitar off ebay, second-hand. I therefore had to do quite a bit to it. Pickup height, change of strings, a good polishing and a tightening of the jack nut. Other than that the action was fine and was in great condition once I'd finished sorting it, no lasting damage. There were a few chips in the paint at the tips of the wings, I assume that this easily occurs due to the length of the upper wing, and would be a common issue.

Made in Japan, this guitar is well built, as the Jackson Japanese factory is second only to the American one. It has 22 frets, which is enough for nearly all songs, and every one is easily accessible due to the shape of the guitar. It is a Maple neck thru body construction with a maple top which gives a good tone and has a shiny black finish (mine is the black and gold one). This has its downsides since fingerprints show on the guitar. It is obviously a Flying V construction, and can be played sat down or stood up, sitting down, due to the shorter lower wing, this one can slot between your legs and it plays sort of like a classical guitar. Comes with Seymour Duncan pickups, 3-way selector, 2 volume knobs, 1 tone. Tuners are fine. Mine also came with a Jackson hardcase, moulded to fit inside, most should due to the price of the guitar.