RR5 Rhoads review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Jackson: RR5 Rhoads

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I play mainly death metal and this guitar fits that OK at best. Sine its not top of the line its obviously not the greatest. I've tested this guitar with some blues and jazz and it works just fine with that too. I just my Line 6 120 watt and they sound good together. The neck pick up has a nice warm sound and I can get a nice crunchiness out of the bridge, which is good for brutal playing. When both volume knobs are turned all the way down, there is a nasty buzz unless you ground the guitar by touching anything metal on it. And with only one volume knob turned down all the way you can still hear what you play through the amp.

I play metal for the most part and this guitar is decent for that. I've been playing for 5 years and unfortunately this is my best guitar. I can't afford anything and neither can my family so I'm stuck with this guitar for a while >:[. I wished I asked for an ESP Horizon FR-2 before I bought this product, lol. If this guitar was stolen, obviously I would be really, really pissed, but I wouldn't buy this guitar again. I don't really have any favorite features, I even had to replace the tuning machines so the stock ones definitely aren't awesome at all. I wish it was a different guitar. ESP's are definitely the nicest guitars for metal I've ever played. My friend owns and ESP-LTD bass, and the paint job on that one is intensely sick, its thick and durable as all hell, it could withstand an icestorm. I would not recommend this guitar. Buy an LTD. The highest quality LTD's definitley match if not surpass this Jackson, and some even surpass the USA made Jacksons.

This guitar, like most I'm sure, can withstand Live playing. It cannot withstand constant playing for shit, however. Like I said before, everything gets worn down so easily its not even funny. The hardware definitely will not last. I can depend on this guitar, but gigging without a backup is just completely and utterly insane. Like i said before, the finish is absolutely and utterly crappy. And lol, yes the strap buttons are solid.

Ok, this is where this guitar amounts to absolute crap. I've owned it for 3 years, and the pick guard is almost completely faded. The bridge piece is actually deteriorating, obviously not a good thing. Factory action was a little high, but managable. Pickups came fine, I haven't adjusted them at all. The wiring is good I haven't had any problems with it yet. The tone knob kept falling off so eventually I took it off for good. The input for the amp cord is extremely loose, it fell into the guitar one time. And the paint. O. M. F. G. The paint. The paint is like really crappy plastic. It cracks EXTREMELY EASILY, it dings easily, it scratches easily, its just over all really really low quality paint. The pinstripes are also very cosmetically flawed because they aren't completely straight, they are very ragged and not good. This really isnt that great.

You can just find this information at jacksonguitars.com. The finish I got it in is the ivory w/ black pinstripes. And for some reason I can't submit this without "filling out features" so its got 22 frets, maple neck, rosewood finger board, 25.5" scale, Seymour Duncan Pickups, neckthrough construction, TOM bridge, passive electronics, blah blah blah.

Ne0Assass1n
    espmh wrote: this or dean angel of deth
    I'd have to go with Angel of Deth, because of the SD LiveWire pickups. Best active pickups I've heard as of now (played with EMG, EMG X, SD AHB-1, SD AHB-2), and I love the big mahogany body.
    birkirKarason
    At the end of the summer i will be buying one of these from guitarcenter. I've tried it out at local guitarshops and it's just plain awesome, the sound is amazing and the look is awesome. Just can't wait.
    Ne0Assass1n
    espmh wrote: this or dean angel of deth
    This. I've played both extensively at GC, and I have to say that the RR5 sounds more organic, cleans are amazing - and for passive pickups, these are brutal.
    Jaredmkl
    emokiller17 wrote: You cant get 24 frets on Rhandy Rhoads can you? how much are they?
    RR24/ RR24m. One has ebony, the other has maple. 24 frets, original floyd, emg 81, maple neck thru alder. made in japan, $800ish
    unnamedplayer
    Mr. 8 wrote: Which should i get this or the jackson slsmg soloist??
    Depends on what shape you like!
    bodom alexi
    INNOCENT VICTIM wrote: I am gonna get one with 24 frets and a whammy/vibrato bar!! I CAN"T WAIT!!!
    its called a floyd rose dude
    DunUltex
    i think i saw Kirk Hammett playing one of these at a concert.
    Kirk had a Jackson RR1T custom made spesifically for him, and he has it tuned down a whole step for songs like Sad But True, ect. also, he's had it since Justice (i think)