RR5FR Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RR5FR Rhoads

Price paid: C$ 1039.99

Purchased from: Ted Good Music

I play a lot of metal, be it speed metal, death metal, progressive metal or whatnot, and this guitar suits my style very well. The JB has enough punch to get some incredible distortion without mudding up the sound, and the Jazz can do cleans very well. I'm currently using is with my Peavey Rage 158 amp as I normally rent or borrow equipment to gig Live. I'm soon to be purchasing a 6505 and a Dunlop 95Q Crybaby to use along with it as well. The guitar is not very noisy as it comes with high-quality pickups. It has a very bright sound to it and has a very harsh almost kind of punch to it, since it's made of alder. The guitar can do a variety of tones, from heavy distortion, to bright or mellow cleans.

As I said before, I play lots of metal and metal sub-genres and this guitar is an almost perfect match. I've been playing for almost 5 years and I own a variety of other equipment. I own 4 other guitars and 2 pedals. If it were stolen/lost, I would definitely buy it again. The only exception to this would be if I had enough money to afford an RR1, in which that case I would buy an RR1. I love the body style and how it is so light and comfortable to play standing up. It doesn't wear out your shoulder and you have nothing jabbing you in the ribs while you play. There isn't anything that I dislike about this guitar, I've been a Rhoads fan for almost my entire guitar career. I compared this guitar with an RR5, the non-trem version, and I chose this one, mainly because I prefer having a floating tremolo next to a fixed bridge. I also prefer the black hardware as opposed to the gold hardware. The only thing I wish this guitar had is head and neck binding, but this is just a personal preference. Well done Jackson, excellent new addition to the Jackson guitar line up!

Yes this guitar will withstand Live playing. I know because I've seen many people perform with RR5's and other Jackson's. The hardware looks solid and looks like it will last for a very long time. The strap buttons are solid as well and are fairly large so they with hold your strap on securely even without straplocks. I can depend on it, I'm almost 100% positive that this guitar will not let me down. Yes I would use it on a gig without a backup but I probably won't as I need 2 different guitars for different tunings. The finish is superb and looks like it will last as long as I do.

The guitar was set up very well at the factory but I still gave it a re-setup as I do with every new guitar I purchase. The pickups were adjusted very well and are in the exact position that I prefer them at. The finish is amazing, it is a very unique and stunning finish and is awesome to look at. The bridge was properly routed as well. The guitar doesn't have any flaws that I am aware of this far. Jackson is known for their quality and this guitar is no exception, seeing as it is one of the higher end models.

It's a 2008 Jackson RR5FR. It was made in Jackson's Japan factory which creates many very fine instruments. It has 22 XJ frets, 25.5 in. scale with a rosewood fingerboard. Mine was a solid top. The body is made of alder and the necks is made of rock maple with a scarf joint. The finish on mine was ivory with black pinstripes. The body style is a Jackson Randy Rhoads, which is a very unique body style. It has similar features to that of a Flying V, but the bottom horn is decreased. The bridge is a FRT-02000, which is the exact same as an OFR, but made in Korea and not Germany. It has 2 active pickups, one in the neck and one in the bridge. The neck pickup is a Seymour Duncan SH2N Jazz and the bridge pickup is a Seymour Duncan TB4 JB. The Jackson site says that the guitar comes with 2 volume and one master tone, but it is the opposite. It comes with a master volume and 2 tone, the same controls as the RR1. This is just a small error on Jackson's part. It uses a 3-way selector. It comes with Standard Jackson tuning heads, non-locking.

Vrstone87
    .:Darkness:.
    Just to make sure no one gets confused, the FRT-O2000 is the same as the original floyd, but made in either china, Korea or Malaysia. Cant remember which one. Its uses the same materials as an OFR, but made in a different factory. Its a high quality trem in the end. I have been waiting for these models to come out, but i was saddened that they didnt come out with a KV3 or KV5
    Donsrache
    The rhoads is godly... Played for one Jam session and fell in love! Also the Rhoads Body doesnt get in the Way in accessing higher frets. The Fr is realy good and you don't need any replacement. Im so buying this Guitar
    lilronaldihno14
    does the rhoads shape interfere with access to the higher frets at all? ive never actually played one of these but im thinking about looking into them. it seems like the wood from the body might block off the last few frets during solos or w/e. any thoughts??
    Sleaze Disease
    AsShadowsRemain wrote: Maybe guitarists like myself don't want 24 frets and EMG's on a Rhoads?
    I agree 100%. I'd much rather have a RR with 22 frets and a JB in the bridge.
    Banana Wedgie
    This or the RR24? I have a feeling the rr24 because this is 1000 and the rr24 is 850.... KV3 or KV5 sounds awesome!
    zlp93
    i cant wait to get this, but first im getting the demmelition king v
    Metallic_Blood
    This guitar looks a good cross between a normal RR's and RR24, a good compromise, I went for the RR24 though. (Sweep tapping! )
    AsShadowsRemain
    They aren't quite as uncomfortable as people make them out to be. They're quite comfortable to play sitting down, but since the neck will be at quite a high angle, it will feel awkward to play for a while.
    aussierhoads
    Im looking to buy one of these guitars but because there arnt any good music stores in my area im wondering what they are like to play sitting down?
    AsShadowsRemain
    SilentGhost wrote: This guitar is near worthless. Jackson-Stars (the japanese Jackson division) has Rhoads with the exact specs as this one, but with EMGs(optional) and 24 frets. They cost almost the same and the shipping only adds $80.
    Maybe guitarists like myself don't want 24 frets and EMG's on a Rhoads? And sorry, some Jackson dealers can't import Jackson-Stars.
    SilentGhost
    guitarmaniacx
    Vrstone87 wrote: I want an RR with an original FR + Seymour Duncan Blackouts that I don't have to sepnd a ton extra to have it custom built
    well the rr5fr has a original floyd rose but youll still need to buy the seymour blackouts