RX10D Rhoads review by Jackson

Jackson: RX10D Rhoads

Price paid: C$ 350

I play Classic rock (Led Zepplin, ZZ Top, Jimi Hendrix, Steppenwolf, Lynard Skynard, AC/DC), Old School Metal ( Motorhead, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, ) New Metal/Thrash (Pantera, Antrax, Slayer, Metallica) Blues riffs, and a little acoustic (Green Day, Taylor Swift) Visually it suits my style of playing very well, Metal Up Your Ass. As for sonically, the guitar preforms well with only minor adjustments needed to the tone or amplifier controls to get the desired sound. Appregiated chords sound very crisp and clean but chords sometimes suffer from the pickups 'muddieness'. The guitar is played through a varity of amps and effects such as: Fender Frontman 15G, Fender G-DEC amp (with included onboard effects) and a Traynor DG 65R. Effects range from: Boss PH3 Phase Shift, Boss F3 Flange, Boss ME-50 Multi effects pedal, DigiTech DF7 Distortion Factory, DigiTech EX7 Expression Factory, Original Crybaby Wah-Wah, Zakk Wylde Crybaby Wah. Also, the latest version of GarageBand is used to record various riffs. Overall, the guitar sounds great to my ears as well as a few other guitar players. We prefer to play mostly metal, or hardrock, so the guitar is very well suited to that playing style. The guitar doesn't suffer from the usual hiss that its single coil brother does, although a noise gate wouldn't be a bad idea if a distortion pedal is hooked up in front of this beast.

I have been playing for 6 years and own all the gear mentioned above and this guitar is one that immeditly draws attention because of its looks then it keeps it there when you hear it. It is a wonderful investment and I think it was well worth my money. As I said before playing hard rock, classic rock, and metal both new and old, this guitar does the job in my opinion. I bought this guitar because I thought "Why pay almost $830 for this guitar when I can pay only 350 AND get a new hardshell case" and there are NO regrets. I think this guitar has EVERYTHING I was looking for. I strive to have a differant guitar with every new one that comes into my possesion, whether its is Floyd Rose equipped, bigsby tailpiece, non-tremolo, or hollowbody. This guitar certainly IS differant. I love the fact that its so ME. Its so Metal. I think it looks as beautiful as it plays and sounds as good as it looks. I hate the the 'Fin' is so pointy you could stab a person with it (maybe that's why I love it? ) and that some of the hardware was a little oxidized and the fact the Floyd Rose bridges are a little more troublesome to replace strings than a standard bridge. I love everything else about it. If it were lost or stolen... I would replace it in a heartbeat provided I had the money to spend to replace it. I compared this guitar to Gibson Flying V's that were at the store and the quailty was just as good as the Gibson for a lot less cash. Thanks for reading this review and hopefully it helps. If you have any questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to comment or msg me. Keep on Rockin' =)

This guitar would most definitly withstand playing live. One show? Yes. Ten Shows? Absoultly! I'm sure after years of abuse it would take its toll on the instrument, but nothing too serious. While its a lightweight guitar, its very well constructed. The strap buttons hold on to my strap perfectly and the finish seems permantant.

This guitar was purchased used. The original sticker is still on the back. The original price was $729.00 Canadian, but I paid $350.00 Can WITH a hardshell rectangle case. The fit and finish were flawless for a used guitar with the only noticable scratches being hairline scratches on the back of the guitar from the strap rubbing across it. I had an issue with the locking tuners and fine tuners as they were a bit oxidized and one of the screws for the locking nut is a tighter fit than the other two for the allen key. The nut at the opening of the input jack also needs to be tightend as well but that occurs on almost any guitar after some use. The tuning pegs and the saddle and bridge are very well constructed.

I recently purchased a used, Japanese made RX10D Randy Rhoads 'Shark fin' guitar. It has 22 jumbo frets, with a very thin streamlined maple neck. The body is well-balanced, lightweight and solidly constructed of basswood and is finished in 'Transparent Red'. The body style is not a typical flying-V shape, but more of a 'sharks fin' in that the uppermost fin is noticeably longer than the bottom. The input jack is located on the butt end of the guitar on the bottom fin and is well placed. The bridge is a 'Jackson' stamped Floyd Rose type configuration with black and chrome hardware. The chrome master tone/volume switch is conveniently located to allow the player quick and easy access, thus volume swells or quick changes in tone are easily attainable. The 'Seymour Duncan' passive designed humbucker pick-ups are finished in black and provide a great sound to compliment the looks of this guitar. When played through various amps such as: 50 Marshall MGDF, Traynor 65 R, Fender 15G, and a Vox amplifier with and without the use of distortion pedals, the guitar plays very well. The pickups provide a very bluesey singing sustain that would be pleasing to most ears. Having just played the guitar on the Traynor amp with about 40% gain and 40% volume and the EQ set to 12 o'clock and then comparing it to a single coil Fender and a dual humbucker Epiphone SG with Gibson burstbucker pro pickups the Seymour Duncans were more 'Heavy' sounding. While the high notes were very consistent and able to cut through the mix, they didn't sound as sweet as the Gibsons. But the guitars are two very differant instruments so that's another story. I personally found the pick-ups to be a little on the 'bassy' side when compared to the other guitars. I rolled off the bass and middle and it was still a little muddy. Overall, I think the pickups are a great set for this guitar and although a little muddy at times, they still provide a great dirty sound that can clean up nicely when the tone is turned down. The selector switch is the standard 3-way configuration. (Bridge, Bridge-and-Neck, and Neck) The tuners are locking and are stable enough to withstand some whammy use and the occasional dive-bomb without any cause for concern. The fretboard appears to be rosewood and is dressed with 'Shark Fin' inlays. Very attractive looking and easily one of the most noticable things about the neck/fretboard area. Its a very playable fretboard/neck. It is a thin C-shaped neck with a great action that allows for lightening fast shredding. Perhaps a maple neck would be more suitable though and would provide a greater tone.

RowanMetalMan
    Yea man i got one of these and everything you say is 100% true i could go forever without getting a new guitar because im just so in love with this one.
    Heideck
    I'll buy this one, I thought I'd go with an Ibanez SA260FM but this looks so much better