SL2H Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SL2H Soloist

Purchased from: Pawn Shop

This guitar is amazing. The sound that the pickups deliver is pure and clean. I play rock/metal and I use a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone with a Kustom 100w 2X12 combo amp with Monster 24k gold plated guitar cords. The guitar itself is quiet. No noise at all. It's great to jam out with a drumset and bass. The sound cuts through the mix, even on the neck pickup! But doesn't over power the other instruments. The bridge pickup is very bright and has good attack. The neck pickup is also bright with good attack and sings when doing solos and leads.

With my style of playing this guitar is perfect. Then again, you could playing any style of music on this guitar. It's always ante upped other guitars that I've played. I only have 3 years of guitar playing under my belt but I know what a real guitar is when lands in my hands. This is the top-of-the-line guitar and nothing can play better than it. There are, however, guitars that play as well as this guitar but for the price, you can't beat it. I got uber lucky getting this at a pawn shop.

This is a professional guitar. The electronics in it are all original and still work perfectly! The hardware and electronics are excellent and could withstand many more years over playing. Whether it be at home, in the studio or playing live, this guitar will not falter. The finish is still on there after all these years and I don't think it's going to come off that easily. I accidentally hit a doorknob with it and the paint didn't come off or crack. All that's left is a black residue that I have purposely left there for storytelling. I don't need a backup guitar for this creation. If anything, I would use it has a backup to any other guitar I would own.

Since I am not the original owner of this guitar I cannot accurately tell you how well the guitar came out of the factory. But this is an excellent handmade guitar! The finish has a lot of nicks in it especially from belt-buckling. There are cracks in the paint on the back of the neck from stress over the years but they do not go through the wood.

I own a 1985 solid Ferrari Red SL2H Soloist that was made in the USA. The neck is made out of quarter-sawn maple and is neck-thru with alder wings. It has original Jackson tuners, Kahler locknut, original Kalher bridge, passive electronics, original Jackson J-50C pickups in the neck and bridge. Has 1 volume and 1 tone control, 3-way pickup Switch. It also has MOP sharkfin inlay and binding on the neck and headstock. The binding goes over the fret ends. Came with a beat-up guitar case, but it suits the character of the guitar.

MetalManiacal
    10s across the board are a little much, however i'd definitely like to give this guitar a try.
    dio_dude
    the_addict
    the_addict wrote: dio_dude wrote: .arkness:. wrote: Wait.. Kahler bridge and jackson pick-ups? That doesnt sound like an SL2H. yer, i got a shitty 800 jackson with jackson pickups. but still, i'd be more than happy to have this guitar This is an old guitar. 1985. Someone had to call Jackson up and custom order this guitar. A kahler tremolo was stock back then and so was the J-50c pickups. I love my setup. I can tweak it anyway i want to get whatever sound i want. Though I would love to have a Marshal/Line 6 Spider3 half-stack. I going to put up a pic or my guitar so you know what it looks like.
    I paid $500 for it.
    brutalmetalhead
    i played this in a shop and it was the best guitar i have ever touched. the fingers fly on the fret board as if on butter, it was a brutal metal moment, play'n the holy wars solo. i have no $ though =(
    Multiplayerjon
    im building one xD except with a strat neck it wouldn't look as great... untill i get the monay again to buy the jackson neck Have funn trying to use it... it's only 22 on the one i am building... it will look reallyreallyreally weird... queer
    Haagse
    I have one myself. Jackson SL2H Soloist 2007 model. Bought it used from Ebay for 1700.USD. Absolutely love it!
    A Bad Guitarist
    TheFreeBird wrote: wow. thats a pretty nifty lookin guitar. id tap that
    I hope that by 'tap' you mean Van Halen-style solos
    sheadude6778
    sheadude6778
    Oh yeah. I got mine in black.
    cukd7x-a2-
    the_addict wrote:I paid $500 for it.
    you obviously know nothing about 1980's USA Soloists
    whencowsfart101
    sheadude6778 wrote: sheadude6778 wrote: Lol...I'm a stupid little rich boy and my parents bought me this guitar for christmas. It is literally the best guitar in existance, I just don't have a decent enough amp to run it through. If you have money and you truly love electric guitars, buy this. I love the neck pickup just as much as the bridge. I can get amazing cleans, even though this guitar is made to blast out metal. Oh yeah. I got mine in black.
    You're so lucky.
    Nagash02
    In fact, before Jackson was bought by Fender, their guitars were equipped differently (kahler and jackson bridges, jackson pickups etc). That's for those who wonder about the specs. Now personally I just WANT that guitar. Seems to be really kickass
    LeonidasVath
    Totally gonna have to pick one up, i've heard nothing but good things about this guitar
    the_addict
    cukd7x-a2- wrote: the_addict wrote:I paid $500 for it. you obviously know nothing about 1980's USA Soloists
    i beg to differ. For a used '85 sl2h from a local pawn shop? I owned the guitar for 2yrs. I did extensive research into while i owned it. tell me what it is i DONT know about the older jacksons. BTW, Mike Shannon held mine before it went out the doors of the san dimas shop.
    deFactoX87
    NathanRobbins
    No... I'm pretty sure he's just stupid... MT2=never a good idea
    Lensver
    Dnalrafcmb3 wrote: This resembles the Ibanez guitars like the RG370DX and RG350DX. It looks awesome like they do too, but the Ibanez have better pick-ups.
    I like both guitars you mentioned (I'm planning to get an RG370DX), but don't tell me that the Ibanez stock pickups are better than the SD ones, 'cause it's hard to believe. Sexy guitar btw, I'd love to try it out
    Metroth
    Imagine playing Pantera's "SHATTERED" on that one! I have a Jackson dinky two made from the India factory and its Floyd Rose rusted out on me... Totally sucks it was my main axe... Still it lasted a year of serious training and technical playing, Jackson's rule!
    .:Darkness:.
    rancidryan
    zoastev wrote: THAT SHIT IS MINE, I WANT THAT GUITAR!!!! O_____o
    me too me too
    Mistaa Man
    megadeth2007 wrote: megadeth2007 wrote: knotslip wrote: TheFreeBird wrote: wow. thats a pretty nifty lookin guitar. id tap that lol same here wtf sex w/ a guitar would hurt, go w/ a trumpet at least guys. havent u ever seen Bnd Camp? jk but still dont try it
    . Lmfao !! I want that guitar. i like it
    senorpepe
    Wow, you guys are idiots. The soloist, and Jackson singlehandedly changed super strats. The solist is one of Jackson's top of the line guitar, I had layed hands on one only once, but surely i was amazed. If you've never played one, dont speak of it!
    broken fusion!
    .arkness:. wrote: Your set-up makes for some pretty horrendous tone. you need to upgrade your amp so the guitar has something nice to play through.
    lol hey it's "that guy"
    the_random_hero
    broken fusion! wrote: lol hey it's "that guy"
    'That guy' is also very correct. Why have an awesome guitar if you're playing through horrible effects and a poor excuse for an amp?
    METALHEAD 91zb
    Jacksons are so ****in' badass! I only have the Dinky MG, but these are the most unique and killer sounding axes ever.
    the_addict
    NathanRobbins wrote: deFactoX87 wrote: You used a MT2 and a 100w ss amp ... and you gave the guitar all 10! Now that must be a great guitar! No... I'm pretty sure he's just stupid... MT2=never a good idea
    no, you just dont know what you are doing with your sound equipment. Its easy to distinguish what CAN be worked with and what CANNOT be. If you refuse to tweak what you have, that's your reasoning of not having patience. If its something like a behringer amp/head/cab/pedal; which i haven't found a successful recipe for; there is just no hope for it. The boss pedal is amazing. Hands down. Being able to adjust the treble, bass, mid, AND mid fequency is something that I personally desire. I can get a plethora of sounds just from those controls alone with a plain jane P/U.