SL2H Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SL2H Soloist

Price paid: $ 2000

Purchased from: CMC Guitars

As you might have guessed, I play metal. More specificly; Thrash/heavy metal such as Slayer, Sepultura, Soulfly, Gojira and such. The guitar is made of Alder and it has a Seymour Duncan JB TB4 in the bridge and a '59 SH1N in the neck. The guitar delivers great metal sound, as well as great clean sound - not something I use alot, but when I do, it sure sounds great. Which I must admit I kind off expected for such and expensive american guitar. The pickups are actually pretty quit, so noisy pickups haven't been a problem yet. Because it comes with duncan pickups, the guitar can deliver are wide arrey of tones (I think it was primarely made for metal, but I surrely get great tones besides metal tones) so this guitar sound great over all. It also has incredible good sustain (when is is setup right ofcourse).

This guitar is great. The best I have ever playd. My other guitar is a ESP LTD JH-600 with a original floyd and S&Key inlays - even though it is a great guitar, my Jackson just completely oversahdows it. I have been playing metal active for about 6 years now, and I'm playing through a Marshall JVM410H, so it can't get more metal - if this guitar were stolen, I would buy it again, any day. I don't think I will find a guitar that is better, unless I switch genre, and that is not going to happen anytime soon. The best metal guitar ever. If you consider buying it, my advice would be; go and buy it - you won't regret it!

I haven't playd live yet, but I am sure it will do great. I haven't experienced any trouble when I rehearsel with my band either. The strap buttons a solid, no balance trouble. You can depend on this guitar, even when you go apeshit. I never go to a gig without a backup, more because of the floyd rose, but I am sure this guitar would do just fine. I haven't had more confidence in a guitar as I have in this one.

The guitar came setup from factory. It came in E standard tuning, with a perfect "in-balance" floyd rose. My band plays in D standard, so I quickly re-tuned it with different strings, so the factory setup doesn't mean so much to me. No dead notes and ss I wrote before there are no flaws in the paintjob - well, not falws I have found yet. The white binding arount the headstock and neck is also looking perfect. According to my eyes there are no flaws at all.

In my opinion, there ain't a guitar more metal than the SL2H. I bought it in 2011 by a shop named CMC Guitars - GREAT place by the way! The SL2H is an American made guitar. It features 24 jumbo frets, passive Duncans, original floyd rose, thin neck as well as neck-thru construction. The guitar comes in alot of cool finish's. I bought it in black, and the finish of it looks really good! I haven't found a flaw yet. The fretboard is great looking too. No major mistakes such as loose screws or anything. It also came in a deluxe Jackson case.

Amuro Jay
    The SL2H is one of those guitars that are on the long list of guitars I need to own before I die. I'd rather get the SL2HT, though. But it's a damn shame that the SL2H-MAH doesn't come in a hardtail version.
    JB95
    "...no flaws in the paintjob - well, not falws I have found yet..." Lawl
    boosted928
    MetalManiacal wrote: 10s across the board are a little much, however i'd definitely like to give this guitar a try.
    That's what I'm thinking too.
    Way Cool JR.
    guitarscreams wrote: ok your saying the best for metal.....with passive pickups? wtf are you talking about?
    I would take a good pair of passives over any-kind of actives any-day for playing metal. The JB IMO is a strong contender as one of the best passives out there for playing metal. They just have a-lot more grunt and body compared to actives. On topic: I would love to have a Broken Glass finished one of these guitars, very sexy. I would prefer a bolt on version though instead of a neck-thru.
    T7E
    guitarscreams : ok your saying the best for metal.....with passive pickups? wtf are you talking about? POSTED: 09/21/2011 - 078 pm / quote |
    Dude passives ****ing own for metal. Personally I rate them higher than Actives in any situation. THey actually sound alive.
    Mceiner
    Its the Kyle wrote: I like how both reviews are all 10's, and only 1-2 people complain xD
    Well the reason i personally gave it all 10 (and remember, this is just the review of 2 guys) Is that i really tried hard to give it lower. I sat down and thought of all possible reasons that i shouldnt give it 10. But IMHO i could't think of any - it is truly the godfather of metal guitars in my opinion. And it looks sexy too.
    kikmydog
    This guitar well deserves a 10 in all aspects. I have it in metallic black and omg does this thing look amazing. It really deserves all the praise that it does. It's perfect to play any type of music but, especially all types of metal. BTBAM on this baby is beast. Recommended, if you can put out 2k$ for a guitar, seriously look into getting one. If you're a decent player, it will make you sound like you're recording in a studio, that's how good the tone is.