SL3 Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SL3 Soloist

Purchased from: Musicians Friend

I play mostly heavy metal and the EMG's are great for this. I really get a great sound while maintaing a lot of tone. I am playing through a Peavy 212 with a Boss effect processor. The selector Switch allows for some great variation in sounds.

If it was lost or stolen I believe I would get this guitar again (same color). It is truly a pleasure to play.

Al of the materials seem to be of high quality craftmanship. The strap buttons are solid with a wide flare to securly hold the strap. I would never go to a gig without a backup. There a plastic pieces such as the selctor Switch knob and the humbucker pickup frame. I believe these should have been quality metal parts.

I don't expect the guitar to be setup precisely to my specification when I recieved it but it was no problem putting on my super slinky's, adjusting the bridge, and changing the pickup height to suit my preferences, and setting the action. The intonation was perfect when I recieved it.

This is a 2005 model. You can see the details at Musicians Friend. I have been playing a JS100 for the past 4 years and I wanted to try something new. The SL-3 is quite an experience. The action in extremely low without buzzing. It is really great for playing fast. The feel of the neck while playing is incredible, you know you are playing a real quality guitar. I was not used to having 24 frets so it was much easier to play the higher notes but conversely it requires a bigger stretch playing chords down at the nut end of the fretboard. I am used to the Floyd Rose tremolo, what can I say, it works as expected, rarley going out of tune. I have never had a problem tuning my guitar with a floating bridge. I have one gripe with the volume knob. It should have been moved back further as it interferes with my picking hand, but I can learn to adjust.