SL3 Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SL3 Soloist

Purchased from: B and B music (tom lee price quote)

I'm a shred guy myself and by all means this guitar lives up to its name, it was made to solo. The Duncan HotRail in the neck is the smoothest sounding pickup I think I have ever played with when shredding. This guitar could not have a better solo tone. Rhythm-wise, I was surprised at how nice the JB was in the bridge. When I play quietly I notice a bit of a difference from my SG, but when I turn it up to around 7 or 8, thats when this guitar comes alive. It's a nigth and day difference from when it's quiet. This guitar beats out my SG in every single way. Clean, crunch, and full out metal, this guitar does it all. I use a Fender Stage 1000 amp and a Marshall 412 cab. For effects I run a DigiTech RP50 and a Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby. It has a little buzz, but o well.

I play a bit of everything, mainly shred and metal though, and this does everything perfectly. I've been playing for 2 years. This guitar absolutley desstroys my SG in every way possible. I would buy another in a second if this were stolen. My favourite feature is the neck obviously, once again, find me a guitar that plays nicer. I love the bridge, it never snaps strings. I couldn't get this guitar to go out of tune if I tried. I don't like not being able to detune because of the floyd bridge though, but I keep my SG in drop C now anyways. I played this right up against a $3000 handmade american Jackson Soloist, and noticed almost no difference at all. I love this guitar 10/10, if you are even considering a new guitar just go play one of these if you can, absolutely beautiful.

The finish could be a little better. Other than that, no complaints here. I have my SG for gigging back up now so I take it anyways and it has Fender's 5 year warranty so you really don't have to worry.

I set up the poles of the JB in the bridge once I got it, but other than that it was ready to go. The finish is quite nice. There were no factory set up flaws. It was good to go other than the JB needed to be set. As for the action and playability, to put it simply, I challenge anyone to find me a guitar that plays nicer.

This is a 2005 Japanese Jackson SL3 Soloist. 24 frets, set through super thin fast neck, maple neck and top, with alder wings I do believe. It has a flamed maple transparent top, I got the red which is the best looking in my opinion. A Strat style body, floyd rose licensed bridge (be aware this is not the real deal floyd rose) but I dont see how this bridge could be improved. Three Seymour Duncan passive humbuckers (JB in the bridge, hot rails in the neck and middle). Most people think that the hot rails are single coils, according to mainly the musicians friend reviews, they are not single coils. They are humbuckers made to fit in a single coil routed guitar. Locking nut with some standard Jackson tuners, the tuners don't seem too good, but I only use them to change strings, other than that I use the fine tuners on the bridge. I didn't get anything other than the guitar with it. I had to buy I case.