SL3 Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SL3 Soloist

Purchased from: ebay

Disappointing is all I can think of. I am not saying this just to say it. I have owned Jacksons from the eighties and still have my RR I bought new in 1986. I also have a 1985 Charvel model 3A that I have put a J90C pickup in. The soloist does have a nice sound but it does not even come close to what Charvel/Jackson offered when they were originally sold. I like all types of music but I play metal and this guitar doesn't have that true crunchy knock your teeth out sound the originals have.

Overall sound not too good. Electronics and hardware not too good. Finish excellent. Playability excellent. Would I buy it again? Yeah I would. My other gear I own is 1986 RR, 1985 Charvel 3A, 2009 Les Paul, Stratocaster, 1969 Gibson SG, 1982 GNL F100, DigiTech processor (hardly used) Peavey Ultra Plus Stack and a cable to plug into it.

Not sure of this part because while I have owned it for the past 4 years I haven't really used it that much. Could it be a live situation guitar? It needs work on that. I think it could be a stage guitar but one would have to yank out all of the electronics and wiring and get it set up proper. Finish wise it is excellent. Very beautiful guitar.

Now playability is true to original Jackson. I actually like the way this guitar plays. It does hold up the tradition. I can't say anything bad about how this guitar is put together other than the electronics. This guitar does play like a dream I do like to use it when I'm just hanging out. It would be great for the intermediate guitar player to keep stepping up. There really weren't any flaws with the guitar and if someone is willing to change out pickups and the pots and wiring this would be an excellent guitar.

I purchased a Japanese Jackson SL3 Sunburst off ebay. Those reading this know what type of wood and hardware are on this guitar. Oh and it came with a Hardshell case. I have changed out the bridge pickup to a Jackson J80C from my Charvel. It is a Strat type body.

seanjtysoe
    i ave one and i use it in an iron maiden tribute band as the lead guitarist. the neck pickup is perfect for dave muuray, the middle pickup is perfect for janick gers and the bridge pickup is perfect for adrian smith