SL3 Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SL3 Soloist

Purchased from: PMT

This guitar suits my style very well. I play many subgenres of metal and this guitar is great for all of them. I use a Marshall MG and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone and I can achieve Maiden, Helloween, Megadeth etc. Tones using this equipment. The Hot Rails give a sort of Dave Murray - Yngwie Malmsteen type smooth tone. The bridge is great for rhythm and shred solos like Kirk Hammett.

I play metal and this guitar is perfect for all genres of metal and hard rock. This guitar is a large part of the reason I am as good as I am now. Before I was playing on cheap Strat copies that were horrible to play. This neck profile is built for playing fast. If this product were stolen I would call the police and get it back.

This guitar will definitely withstand live playing. The hardware will last many years of touring. The strap buttons are solid and have not come loose at all in 5 years of gigging. I have used this guitar for every gig I have done and although I do take a Les Paul just in case I've never needed to use it. The finish will definitely last. In places it has become shiny due to sweat however it has never worn off.

This guitar was not set up before I got it but was in pretty good shape. I have adjusted everything to how I like it since getting the guitar. The only flaws I have experienced with this guitar are in a couple of places the finish is noticeably thinner or poorly applied and that the tone control nob sometimes becomes loose even when I never use it. The action on mine is higher than normal but that's because I like it like that.

This guitar has 24 medium jumbo frets and a rosewood neck.the finish is matt black. The guitars shape is based on the Strat style with a floyd rose licensed tremelo. The pickups are a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge, and Hot Rails in the mid and neck positions. The guitar came with a Jackson hard case.

megadethfan 666
    norths01 wrote: Can some 1 plse help me is this guitar better then the dk2m dinky pro for metal?
    they are both great metal guitars the difference is the price range. dinky means its a bolt on and the soloist is a neck through. Of course the soloist is a higher quality guitar, but some do prefer bolt on (phil Collin of def leppard used the dinky model for YEARS) but both are PERFECT for metal. Also the dk2m has a humbucker for a neck pickup which the greater part of metal guitarist like