SL3MG review by Jackson

Jackson: SL3MG

Purchased from: Craigslist

The majority of my playing style is metal, and the EMGs do that job to the fullest. I play this through a Peavy Valveking half stack and it sounds absolutely amazing. The EMGs deliver a great clear and aggressive tone, and harmonics are very easy to get with the 81 in the bridge, and the 85 makes for very smooth leads and has a nice clean tone as well. I play anything from Iron Maiden to Dethklok, and this guitar can really deliver. For a more versatile tone, however, I plan on switching out the 85 for a 60, but that's just me. As is common knowledge with EMGs, they are extremely quiet when not playing.

As a metal guitar, this is perfect for me with the EMGs, Neck-thru construction and Floyd Rose. It isn't as versatile as the Sl3, so if you're looking for an uber versatile guitar, get that, but this is a really good guitar regardless I have been playing for around three years and have owned a Fender Deluxe Telecaster, Ibanez RG5EX1, and a Dean Dime Razorback, but this is probably my favorite of what I've owned and ever even played. If it were stolen, I would definitely get this one again. Of course, if it were stolen, I would hunt and then burn down the house of the guy who stole it, after torturing his family and all. I feel very lucky to have found such a good guitar (list price of $1,149.99) for only $500. The only thing I wish it would have is a \n Original Floyd, but from what I understand, the FRT O2000 is a lot like the Original, just made in Korea or somewhere. It stays in tune for a really long time and I guess in the long run, that's what matters. I highly recommend this guitar.

Before the original owner had even bought it, it had fallen of the rack at my local Guitar Center a portion off the top of the headstock broke clean off. However, after a professional fix, the headstock was repaired and it has lasted at least three years, still showing no sign of breaking. All hardware is still good as well, and I have No Doubt in my mind that it will last me a long time. The strap buttons are still sturdy and show no sign of weakness. As for gigging without a back-up, I wouldn't solely because of the Floyd. I don't think I would break a string, but you can never be too careful live, right?

The action was very low, and there was minimal fret buzz. No dead notes, no bends fretting out, no mechanical or electronic defects at all. Finish was pretty much flawless. I got it off of Craigslist from a guy who'd had it for a couple years and the only blemish on it was a little buckle rash and a small chip in the finish on the reverse side. Even after a couple of years of abuse from the original owner, the knobs were still fine and the pickup selector was in good order.

Made in Japan, I believe, no older than 2005. 24 frets, 25.5" scale, Rosewood fingerboard with jumbo frets, Arch top Alder body with a black finish and a Rock Maple neck with Neck-Thru construction. Has a Floyd Rose FRT O2000 tremolo system with Jackson tuning heads, active EMG 81 in the bridge and 85 in the neck with 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way switch. Overall a very nice setup, neck is smooth. I only rated the features a 9 because it doesn't have an Original German-made Floyd Rose.

Psykopaten123
    The FRT-O2000 is the Original Floyd Rose, only made in Korea. Same materials, same machines...
    SilverRock113
    "Well the strings are really close to the fretboard (don't know what this is called? Low bottom?0" Seriously, you just bought a $2000 guitar and you dont know what 'Action' means. Dude, hes belgium, just understand that not all the people in the world speak proper english
    SilverRock113
    Shredy_Mc_shred wrote: Dude, hes belgium, don't expect everyone in the universe to know proper english "Well the strings are really close to the fretboard (don't know what this is called? Low bottom?0" Seriously, you just bought a $2000 guitar and you dont know what 'Action' means.
    mostaphobia
    how can you tune it down to C ?! the bridge will bend down right ?! please answer if you can tune it down to c , and if it possible , the pickups will do the work ?!
    Gibsondemon
    Saving money to get a DXMG but now I'm just wondering if this axe worth the extra money in comparison.