SLAT3-6 Soloist Archtop review by Jackson

Jackson: SLAT3-6 Soloist Archtop

Price paid: € 1250

Purchased from: Laitevälitys

Everyone says that this guitar is build for metal and it is pretty much that way. I have Blackheart little big giant tube-amp and boss-md2 + boss-cs3 effects with. The sound is very crushing and sharp. Little narrow, and I guess I would go with seymor duncans next time. Guitar has pretty good sustain itself. Awesome sound nevertheless I would wish some more roundness to sound its somewhat sparky and crushing with EMGs. But these are just minor points.

Good guitar for metal and clean sound isn't that bad either, but I recommend it for rock and metal. I been playing only four years and I invested for this guitar and now I been plying more than ever, daily I would say. If you have opportunity to see guitar first check if neck thickness is right for you, its is kinda narrow. No idea if that tremolo tune while bending is a common problem, but I would still test it first. Green Swirl color is even beter than it looks in pictures! I wonder when they gonna make red swirls? If this guitar would be lost I think I would go one with seymor duncan mics. Still very good guitar and I'm not going to sell or lost it! :)

I think this guitar is well build and everything is made to last. Though knobs are very lose, and while playing volume knob is very close of you hand. Its very likely that you hit the volume knob and volume goes down. Well this problem is in many other guitars too. Although knobs feel very solid and work like dream. Mic switcher is little loose or feels like it isn't that well build than knobs. Well build and will last.

Guitar was well setup when I received it. Intonation was set just right. All I did was changing the strings and adjusted the string height suitable for me. Finishing was flawless and everything worked like it should. One thing that I couldn't adjust was tremolo, which wont stay in tune when you bend it. Tremolo releasing works ok, and guitar stays tune like that, but bending up or down makes it losing the tune (example two strings vibrating same time). I tried adjust springs and change them few different positions. I even changed strings, from .050 to original .042, but still couldn't get it tune.

I bought this guitar last summer (2010). Model is new, so guitar is brand new too. SLAT3-6 is made in Japan, 24 Jumbo frets, neck-thru, 25,5"scale. Alder body and mable neck. Green swirl finishing. Floyd Rose FRT-O2000 Double-Locking Tremolo, Die-Cast Tuners Acive EMG electornicks, 81 and 85 mics. 3-way switch, volume and tone knobs. Original strings .009, .011, .016, .024, .032, .042 Guitar comes with hard Jackson case, which is really good and can be also locked.

trivum_rulz666
    BlackDeath92 wrote: Why does everyone seem to think you gotta have EMGs to play metal. They are truly overrated.
    not big fan of emgs they do it for me dimarzio passives are alot better!
    Gamefer
    LeonidasVath wrote: is it just me, or are these reviews extremely hard to take seriously most of the time?
    I think that these comments are way harder to take seriously at least usually.
    torqued22
    What I have noticed about this guitar from the Jackson site, and the pics I have seen online, it looks very similar to the 1989 Charvel 750xl I used to own. The Charvel was Mahogany body, but it looks quite similar. If this guitar plays anything close to that Charvel, this is an awesome guitar! I have my eye on one right now to buy and I hope to purchase it Friday. I will put it through a few hours of play, and I will be right here to post a review.
    Blargaha
    I'm definately getting the seven version of this, it becomes a kickass guitar if you change the p-ups for Blackouts
    Imptheshrimp
    Sakke wrote: I have nothing against the EMGs or any other parts APART FROM the fact that the rosewood is really... bright on the guitar, it should be a little bit darker, cause the brightness drives me away and to be honest, I'm not a fan of arched tops on Soloists either.. I like the flat tops more.
    I hear ya. I find rosewood quite unattractive as well. Much prefer mahogany.
    saint_berzerker
    Dang...did Jackson completely end the fretboard bindings? I only see them on the ridiculously priced USA models now. That used to be one of their "sigs". The Sharktooths w/o the binging really leaves me wanting.
    Johnny-Fox
    EpiExplorer wrote: well built and will be able to withstand all punishment that gets thrown at it in the future. You aint Nostradamus. But smashing guitar, review is too vague and very badly written.
    You ment to say very Poorly written.... It's a Jackson so it's probably BA
    ambivalent615
    This guitar is amazing and has almost anything you ever need and more .
    wouldn't that be everything? at least? anywho, i have the older slsmg, and i think i prefer it, as i dont agree with floyd's (if it had a kahler, i'd kill for it) and, like everyone else so far, i definitely prefer an ebony fingerboard. don't even get me started on the pups. anyone buying this guitar will need to swap those out.
    hinder