SLATTXMG3-6 Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SLATTXMG3-6 Soloist

Purchased from: Loal Music Store

I got my Jackson Slatxmgq3-6 from my local music store about 6 months ago. She's got a quilted maple top w/ a trans red finish. She's puuuuuuuurdy, that's for sure. 25.5" scale, 24 jumbo frets. Comes with a 1 piece maple neck-thru design into a basswood body and a rosewood fingerboard. This is Jackson's famous Soloist body style, which I absolutely love. Comes with a Floyd Rose special, which works well and does the job. This is my first guitar with a Floyd so I can't give much insight into how well/poorly it performs. It came stock loaded with the EMG 81/85 active set, though I switched them and put the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck which I *CANNOT* suggest enough. The extra heaviness just sounds gurgly and muddy in the neck and in the bridge the 81 sounds almost too bright. Switch their positions, however, and their weaknesses become their greatest strengths. It has 1 volume, 1 tone, and a 3-way selector switch, and Jackson brand tuners which are quite high quality. I got mine with a gig bag thrown in.

I'm a metal player mostly (surprise, surprise, I know) with a little classic rock/80s hair metal thrown in, and this guitar has had absolutely no problem keeping up. With the thin speed neck and compound radius the guitar is lightning quick. Currently running it through a Line 6 Spider IV 75 and I absolutely the brightness it brings to even the dirtiest gnarly tones and tunings you wanna put through it, without affecting any of the chugs.

The setup was fine on initial purchase. Nothing spectacular but as far as run of the mill setups go, it was A1. I did mess with the pickup height a bit, but just dialing it in to where I like it exactly, again a personal preference. The guitar was 100% playable when I bought it.

It's received a bump or two since it's acquisition, but nothing major. I haven't gigged it yet but from playing it so far I think it could stand going through a show without a backup (though I'd still bring one regardless. Better to have and not need as they say.) I replaced the strap buttons with locking tuners, but I don't think it was necessary, the stock Jackson buttons are so huge you should have a problem with them slipping out of even the most care-worn of straps. It's received a bump or two since it's acquisition, but nothing major. I haven't gigged it yet but from playing it so far I think it could stand going through a show without a backup (though I'd still bring one regardless. Better to have and not need as they say.) I replaced the strap buttons with locking tuners, but I don't think it was necessary, the stock Jackson buttons are so huge you should have a problem with them slipping out of even the most care-worn of straps.

Overall, I love this axe. It's my first brand new guitar, my first better than bottom-of-the-barrel guitar. I also have an Ibanez RG220B that still gets some loving occasionally, but I know she's jealous of the Jackson. If it was stolen, I'd probably replace it with an Ibanez of the same range in price, but that's nothing bad against the Jackson.