SLSMG Soloist review by Jackson

Jackson: SLSMG Soloist

Purchased from: guitar trader

Right now I use no effects, just a 65 watt Marshall, I get more as band character developes, but I also have an american white Strat, which is for performing with, it is extremely forgiving and easy as hell to play, I get away with murder on that thing, also don't mind it being knocked around a bit, which is leading to this, the slsmg is as beautiful as it could be, the sound is great and I mean great, holds a note forever and just dominates, it's crisp and clean and a domineering instrument, which is why I would use it mainly for special gigs, or at home, or studio, not knocking around at a cheap place. The reason is that it dents very very easily, this is because it is light as a feather, so should you play in a little venue, be gentle, tune it down a touch. Also this guitar is born for heavy metal, I am not, but love this sound so much, so medium rock or other things you must adjust your playing style and amp and guitar, because this guitar will push evrything else out of it's way. All in all, a beautiful guitar, be careful, delicate light wood, and dents easily and as pretty as that guitar is, you really want to maintain its beauty, it's sound is strong and full, you can soft rock with authority or burst into heavy and I mean heavy metal anytime, people will get out of your way. Guitar is the lightest guitar I have ever owned and I am sure any owner will say the same, it weights nothing.

Finally, at the price I paid, I would rate this guitar an 11, but I don't know why guitar trader was selling it so cheap, but at the Standard price of $999, which is the price I always see, it would depend, if it was for me and to collect and play around my home and private jams, I recommend 1000%. If my money was tight and I wanted a heavy metal guitar to play in gigs and run around with all the time, there are a lot of guitars out there that would support heavy metal playing in a bar situation and in those surroundings, sound just as good. I actually would stay with Jacksons, they have much less expensive guitars that would be a better choice, but in the end, it's your baby.

As I said before, this guitar sounds great and will dominate the stage, but after a year of playing live, your axe will show it, this is a dominate guitar, but delicate, and light as hell. So plays and sounds as good or better than any other on stage, but I am anal about the appearance of my guitar, I can't stand seeing something so pretty get beat up, but so goes it. It's sort of like wanting your daughter to stay a virgin, a little extreme, but you get my point.

Quick and painless opinion here, fits like a glove and the finish sparkles. The action is good, but not like a good Telecaster or start, sort of plays like a jumbo fretted SG with a wider neck and a lot better action. You just can't bend 2 inches like a loose Strat lets you if you are lucky, but better than a Gibson, but not very forgiving, you playing better be on target, but you will be rewarded for it in tone and sound.

Bought this guitar brand new over the internet from guitar trader, so I was at the mercy of reviews and features make available to anyone online. The deciding factor was the price guitar trader was offering $699, that beat the next closest offer by $300 and $999 seemed to be the normal price by most everybody. This was the "sale" price, with a list of about $1450, so there you have it, as far as the money is concerned. Guitar trader also threw in a hard case by gator, which may not be fitted, but close enough and the case has a lot of little features which I loved, like a see-through poach in the front and locking handles and general appearance. Guitar trader also threw in a bunch of free stuff: polish cloth, with Fender picks, set of new strings, Fender, Fender 10 foot cord, guitar stand. So I made out, I thought. The SLSMG is beautiful and comes with extremely basic controls: 3 position switch for pickups, tone control knob, and volume. The tuning pegs are solid and seem to really hold the strings, no matter how hard I try to bend them out of key.

Striketalonx
    I just swapped the EMG's for Seymour Duncans on mine.. and got it set up.. Amazing guitar, probably better than my Ibanez S2170.
    High_o
    sexy-man
    if the strings are hard to bend, get lighter strings if it has 24 frets its a longer scale than most strats most likely so the tension will be higher
    sum 41 fan
    dimbag7 ought to to do a review
    love this guitar! Its actually made in Japan, but has the quality of america, I think that Japan and America have simlar quality.
    Parentadvisory
    CoDee
    Parentadvisory wrote: High_o wrote: jackson's are good guitars, i dont think randy would have played them if they werent good well, randy's guitar was the fist jackson, and therefore cunstom made to his specs, so its reallyno indication of how good jacksons are (although i really like them) [quote]High_o wrote: yeah well **** you. and im sure that before he was famous he played ane that was not custom like dimebag did
    You didn't understand, his guitar was the first guitar ever made by Jackson, a custom build. There were none before it. I believe the luthier that built Randy's axe came from Charvel and started Jackson Guitars.
    epiphonedemon
    J A C K S O N!!!! enough said!!! I am a gibson man till the end...but this wicked little bastard was given to me by the local music shop for publicity. Take it out and play 1 set with it the shop owner said...now you have to pry it from my dead hands
    ledvanhallica
    ive had this guitar for about two years this guitars playability is better then any other guitar i have ever played and its only $1000 just change those EMG HZ pick ups because they suck i got a seymour duncan dimebucker put in there and this guitar shredds the harmonics it can do will hurt your ears
    Bongofdestiny
    I picked up this guitar in a shop because it looked awesome and it played great for distortion but on clean it sounded poor so i am thinking of going for a fender strat instead for all round sounds what do people think?