SLX Soloist review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6.8 Neat
Jackson: SLX Soloist

Purchased from: fs music

I play everything from heavy metal to blues. I have a wide range of music I enjoy playing. I use this guitar all the time and is now my only one, it suits almost everything I play you just have to have the right set up on your amp. The EMG-HZ pickups do very well with metal yet not to bad at country and blues. I use a Behringer practice amp and a Line 6 heavy metal pedal. I can get all sorts of distortion out off the pedal and always use it. I have played this guitar through my friends Marshall stack and this guitar just screamed I was really impressed.

I would like to start this part off by saying I love this guitar, for the price it was the best I could find for me. I have owned three different Jackson guitars and have had an Ibanez, Schecter, Squier Tele and Strat and a Epiphone Les Paul Special. I have enjoyed the jacksons the most they have always been durable and a good buy for the money and you can get a guitar that is in full worth your money. I use this guitar for all kinds of music and it does well, If you are strictly metal or hard rock I suggest one with different pickups, these are a versatile pickups that do well they are not the best that I have ever played though. I have played a $7000 Gibson that was really awesome and if you can afford to get a more expensive guitar then fine there is better out there. But if you are looking for 600 or so new then this guitar is a very good price and really is a steal with everything that it comes with.

I have played in several bands and am starting a band in China and I think this guitar would do very well without a backup. However I never play a show without a backup because you never know what can happen. I advise anyone who intends to play live to bring a backup. But with that said this guitar does well to stay in tune and is very sturdily built. I trust this guitar to last a very long time.

When I got the guitar it was near perfect, it came straight from California from the NAMM convention that the guitar guy from the shop attended. This guitar was very well set up, however I am a perfectionist when it comes to my guitar so I took it home and spent another hour or so setting the floyd rose and action on the neck right were I wanted it. There was no flaws that I could see at first, I bought this guitar in a rush before I moved to china and didn't spend a lot of time looking it over at the shop. When I got it home I found that along the edge of the frets and binding toward the upper part of the neck had some glue stains. This flaw was not super noticeable but it caught my attention after a little while of having the guitar.

This guitar was made in India and very well done. It has a thin neck and 24 frets. This guitar has a rosewood neck through body construction. It is a solid top made of Mahogany and maple neck with a very unique setup. It is a natural finish. This guitar has two EMG-HZ pickups and sounds good. There is one tone knob and one volume knob, with a Floyd Rose Special, with a locking nut.

MaggaraMarine
    Well, it doesn't sound like the best setup. Some people think that you can't completely judge the guitar with that kind of cheap (and digital) setup. Everything tends to sound almost the same through cheap digital stuff. And it usually tells something about you too, not saying that you don't know what good tone is, but it kind of gives that kind of impression. But OK, you have also played it through "real" amps and it wasn't a crappy all 10/10 review.
    Ironmanhimself
    OK, all you elitists need to back off this kid. If line 6 is such a bad tonal option, why would Mark Knophler, NIN, NFG, and even Uriah Heap use them exclusively. I promise any and all of those artists do not have poor tone, and know good tone on a level you guys that think you're so great cuz your mommy and daddy got you a 5000 dollar rig when you started can't even comprehend. As clapton said, it is the guitarist that makes the tone, his talent alone. so hey guy, keep your line 6 and behringer don't let these couch potatoes fool you into spending more money than you need to to get a decent rig. Just focus on rocking brother
    ciadude2
    cobhc909094zach wrote: hahah ignore those last two comments I miss read the comment, but why is behringer and line six so despised here?
    Neither is considered that good tone-wise. People tend to take it with a grain of salt when anyone says that something sounds amazing through lower end gear. The Line 6 Spider amps are the biggest example. Not all of their stuff is bad, I own a DT50 and a Pod HD500 and they sound incredible in my opinion. But yeah Behringer is another low cost brand that elitists don't take seriously. Honestly dude, if you like it that's all that matters. This review is your experience with the guitar.
    cobhc909094zach
    I use a Behringer practice amp and a Line 6 heavy metal pedal. Oh my...
    what is wrong with this?
    Doc_H
    I bought an SLX knowing full well I would have to strip out the stock electronics and trem. The Duncan Designed that came in my SLX were muddy at best (that's thru a Marshall JVM and 1960 cabs). Not comparable to my Duncan JB/SH1 equipped Jackson guitars. The stock trem is made of zinc alloy (Floyd Special Series) that deadened the tone of the guitar and reduced the sustain. I dropped in an EMG 81/85 with and EMG 3-way strat switch. Now the guitar sounds like what it should have to start with. I don't think I'll be getting another SLX. For what I invested I could have gotten a SL2 Pro Series
    Bobby1959
    I have a hard tail . The edges of the frets are kind of rough . But I'm going to put a screaming demon In the bridge and not sure about the neck. And change the pots out . I think it will be good for at home. I love Jackson and Charvel necks
    cobhc909094zach
    Yeah I was just curious what you meant by they weren't that good thats all, also if I were to look into another smaller amp what would be a better bet sound wise? I am always open to hear suggestions. Also as far as a metal pedal goes I tried several pedals but this one just really screamed and I got an excellent deal on it but if there are some better pedals out there what would you suggest?
    Xyber9
    I thought this review was fair but I think SLX is made out of basswood.
    LeakyFlask
    cobhc909094zach
    cobhc909094zach wrote: I use a Behringer practice amp and a Line 6 heavy metal pedal. Oh my... what is wrong with this? I was foreseeing some incoming flaming but it seems no one has cared all too much. Basically, there is only one brand more universally despised than Line 6 on UG, and that is Behringer.
    and you are right however I have my friends gear and churches gear that I have run my guitar through for other style my main style that I practice at home is metal though.
    cobhc909094zach
    Although the line 6 pedal can get some really good blues almost country style distortion that sounds decent.