USA KV2 King V review by Jackson

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Sound: 10
  • Overall Impression: 9
  • Reliability & Durability: 10
  • Action, Fit & Finish: 8
  • Features: 10
  • Reviewer's score: 9.4 Superb
  • Users' score: 7.6 (29 votes)
Jackson: USA KV2 King V
0

Price paid: $ 1600

Purchased from: Ebay

Sound — 10
This thing is the best sounding metal guitar I have ever played. People say you can play metal on a Les Paul well this guitar says your paul sounds like shit doing it. The olny thing that comes close to this thing in tone is my Handmade BC Rich. But it dosent end with the metal sound. The JB pup also dosent do a to shabby of a job playing some jazz and blues too. Its not the classic blues or jazz sound it kind of has its own unique spin on it. The notes are clearer and its more punchy. I put this guitar up aganst a Les Paul Standard in a sastian test and it won. This thing sastains for days. They Floyd Rose dosent kill it ether, whoever says that is a moron.

Overall Impression — 9
For a metal guitar this is the king. In 10 years of playing I haven't found anything that sounds better than this guitar for metal. And its better than most for doing other styles too. If it were lost or stolen I would find it, stab the guitar through the person who stole it, then proceed to play "A Lesson In Violence" with them still impaled through the guitar. Ok Les Paul fans this is were I own you. don't tell me you can't compare the paul to this. You say you can play metal well on your pauls. So I compared it to the Les Paul Standard and the Gibson V. This guitar had a better sound. The notes were clearer and the attack was far better. The playability of this guitar wipes the floor with them(the olny guitar that I've played that was better playability wise is my B.C. Rich Handmade). Sustain wise this guitar was better than both, Floyd Rose and all. The finger boards on the 2 gibsons were sticky and I felt sluggish playing them, while the King V was smooth and easy to play on (this is because of the ebony board). The Jackson King V out classes both Gibsons by far in both playability and sound. The finish on the Jackson was better too (I also think the lightning sky paint job is cool as well). Now don't give be the you can't compare argument because its 2 diffrent guitars. Because the Jackson also sounded better doing clean stuff as well.

Reliability & Durability — 10
This was my main guitar for 3 years. Its played over 100 shows and recorded 2 albums and is still going strong. I still use it live along with my BC Rich today. Jackson has some of the best strap buttons but I still replaced them with straplocks. I do this on all my guitars. The finish is tough on this one. I've bashed it who knows how many times and aside from a tiny chip on the end of the v nothing. Using a Floyd Rose Equpied guitar without a back up is dumb. But if it had no trem I would use it without a backup.

Action, Fit & Finish — 8
The action on the King V is extra low. The pups were adjusted right and the paint job is flawless. Their were a few problems on this guitar. One of the screws for the truss rod cover was stripped out. And the Bridge pup wasent grounded properly. But other that that nothing major.

Features — 10
This is a 2007 USA made King V with 24 jumbo frets. Its neck thru with a compound raidus ebony finger board with sharkfin inlays. The neck is quatersawn hard rock maple. The body is alder and has the lightning sky paint job (witch is bad a-s). The Bridge pup is a Seymor Duncan Scott Ian sig and the neck is a JB. The Floyd Rose Orignal trem round out the Features of this guitar.

39 comments sorted by best / new / date

    DJ_Effrey
    What's with all the Gibson bashing at the end? Do you have some sort of grudge against Gibsons? Why don't you compare it to guitars that are slightly more metal specific (maybe an ESP or a Dean). Seems like a pointless addittion to the review.
    RedEyeShred
    I was so annoyed by this review that I had to create an account. There are so many things wrong with it. 1) I agree with Sakke et al about the Gibson bashing. Just unnecessary. Also, if Gibson don't make good metal guitars then why do Zakk Wylde, Bjorn Gelotte, Dethklok, Randy Rhoads (RIP), Doug Aldrich and many more use them? In my opinion, the Gibson Zakk Wylde signatures and the LP Piezo (with EMGs) are excellent for metal, maybe not the best neck for everyone, but since I have very long fingers they suit me fine. 2) The Floyd Rose trem can affect the Sustain. If you want a guitar which has amazing sustain go for a guitar with string-through-body build. 3) Comparing the guitar to 2 Gibsons and a BC Rich is just plain stupid. You should have at least tried the other luthiers who make "metal" guitars, such as ESP, Dean and Ibanez before writing this review. 4) Once again I have to agree with Sakke. You buy a guitar because it feels good and sounds good. This is why I have: A LAG Arkane (with passive EMGs and a floyd rose copy), An ESP-LTD MH-401 QMNT (with active EMGs, this is my favourite guitar of the ones I own) and an Ibanez RGR465M (2010 limited run with DiMarzio pickups and an Edge II trem which I am going to eventually replace with an Edge III or other compatible Ibanez tremolo). I bought these guitars because they felt, played and sounded good to me. 5) Did you actually try the guitar out at a shop before buying it from ebay or did you just see it on ebay and went for it? If you didn't try it out at a shop first then you really are a stupid F**k. 6) This one is about your reply to Shinzoku about your "opinion". No persons opinion is the truth, and never will be. Replying in that way means you are butthurt and will whine whenever someone even hints that there are better guitars than yours, which there are. I hope that this clears some things up for anyone, especially YOU hawk6611.
    Sakke
    This guy sure just likes to bash. I highly doubt that he has any sort of good amplifier, because with good amplifiers you will get good tones even with Epiphones and ESP-LTDs lower range for example. I also highly doubt that your V's clean sound is better than the sound of a Gibson Les Paul Standard. The reviewer sounds like the guy who bashed Gibson Les Paul Custom.
    I<3Gibson
    and the kv2 is one of the best guitars that you can buy. you dont get jewed in quility for the price you pay unlike some other well known guitar makers
    Sakke
    DJ_Effrey wrote: What's with all the Gibson bashing at the end? Do you have some sort of grudge against Gibsons? Why don't you compare it to guitars that are slightly more metal specific (maybe an ESP or a Dean). Seems like a pointless addittion to the review.
    It is totally a pointless addition. By the way, hawk6611, Jackson KV2 lists for 2300 euros at thomann (one of the biggest guitar stores in Europe), while Gibson LP Traditionals are from 1600 to 1900 euros and Gibson LP Standards are from 1900 to 2100 euros. Just did a quick search and proved you're wrong about the pricing. If you really bought this Jackson KV2 off Ebay, of course it's cheaper than the Gibsons. You made a good deal, but bashing any guitars in a review is complete nonsense.
    I<3Gibson
    what i am collection alot of hate. i ****ing love it. i did compare it to the bc rich. the rich plays better and the jackson has a better sound. and no Uncrator i compared 3 high end USA MADE GUITARS. so i didnt bash it unjustly so get off your goodie goodie fan club and go buy a good guitar. the gibson les paul standard gos for 2300 hear and the kv2 gos for 1900. im in the usa and thats from guitar center. so thats were i get my prices from. and i played a bunch of king vs before i bought this one. i chose between the kv2 a ibanez jem and a esp vII. damn crybabies
    jeffmetalhead
    Spell check, punctuation, and grammar for ****s sake! 10/10 I doubt it. Go home and try again.
    I<3Gibson
    i didnt give this guitar a 10. and i dont give a shit about spelling and grammer. its the ****ing internet.
    Parkesie959
    ...I do not think I really need to go into why this review is just terrible, everyone here has pretty much said what needs to be brought up. What you need to realize Mr. Hawk6611 is that although the Gibson Les Paul is not your favorite guitar for metal, there are many people that do use it and that is a matter of choice . And just to be clear, I'm not a fan of Gibson either, but does that give me the right to needlessly bemoan the players that have chosen to use them? I didn't think so. As it has been mentioned before, there is more than one tone in heavy metal, that doesn't necessarily mean that yours is the better one, some people prefer a much more crunchy tone, some like a guitar that squeals like a pig when you want it too. Personally I like the sound of Dimarzio's stacked single-coils for metal neck pickups - That's my preference, and no one else's opinion means that they are correct and are the Tsar of all things right and wrong, you must be really immature if you think that way. Comparing your custom-made metal guitar to a USA made production Les Paul is like having a drag-race between a Lamborghini and a jalopy - Obviously the modern sports car is going to win that race, but people like jalopy's for the classic vibe, and the nostalgic value - Two very different properties; it's all a matter of taste. By the way, spelling and grammar is a necessity - No one wants to read an illiterate review. Just from what you said ("i dont give a s**t about spelling and grammer. its the ****ing internet.") in response I can already tell that you are probably either really immature, or a little kid...Or both. The internet was not created so people like you could demean the English language - Go back to school please, lean to use capital letters, use more variety of punctuation and improve your grammar you ignorant little f***er. Good day to you good sir. ~ Parkesie959
    I<3Gibson
    the les paul custom is a peace of shit. yeah it has a tone but so dose my ass after spice mexican food
    jeffmetalhead
    hawk6611 wrote: and i dont give a shit about spelling and grammer. its the ****ing internet.
    You should because what's the point in giving a review if noone can understand the point you're trying to make. Go read my reviews and see if you can pick anything wrong with my reviews. You will try but you will fail.
    The Uncreator
    We can all agree this is a terrible review, and honestly the unceasing need to constantly compare this against Les Pauls is retarded.
    Now don't give be the you can't compare argument because its 2 diffrent guitars. Because the Jackson also sounded better doing clean stuff as well
    Ok Les Paul fans this is were I own you. don't tell me you can't compare the paul to this. You say you can play metal well on your pauls. So I compared it to the Les Paul Standard and the Gibson V
    Aside from the weird and somewhat disturbing manner in which this reviewer seems personally offended by the existence of Les Pauls, this adds nothing to your review. Do you realize that people give this EXACT same review to $150 starter guitars? This might be one of the worst reviews in a long while on here.
    Parkesie959
    Yes, I realise I mispelled "learn" in the last paragraph, but that was an accident - What you do is intentional.
    jeffmetalhead
    Parkesie959 wrote: ...I do not think I really need to go into why this review is just terrible, everyone here has pretty much said what needs to be brought up. What you need to realize Mr. Hawk6611 is that although the Gibson Les Paul is not your favorite guitar for metal, there are many people that do use it and that is a matter of choice. And just to be clear, I'm not a fan of Gibson either, but does that give me the right to needlessly bemoan the players that have chosen to use them? I didn't think so. As it has been mentioned before, there is more than one tone in heavy metal, that doesn't necessarily mean that yours is the better one, some people prefer a much more crunchy tone, some like a guitar that squeals like a pig when you want it too. Personally I like the sound of Dimarzio's stacked single-coils for metal neck pickups - That's my preference, and no one else's opinion means that they are correct and are the Tsar of all things right and wrong, you must be really immature if you think that way. Comparing your custom-made metal guitar to a USA made production Les Paul is like having a drag-race between a Lamborghini and a jalopy - Obviously the modern sports car is going to win that race, but people like jalopy's for the classic vibe, and the nostalgic value - Two very different properties; it's all a matter of taste. By the way, spelling and grammar is a necessity - No one wants to read an illiterate review. Just from what you said ("i dont give a s**t about spelling and grammer. its the ****ing internet.") in response I can already tell that you are probably either really immature, or a little kid...Or both. The internet was not created so people like you could demean the English language - Go back to school please, lean to use capital letters, use more variety of punctuation and improve your grammar you ignorant little f***er. Good day to you good sir. ~ Parkesie959
    Well said
    WaddleDeee
    In other related news.... I'm going to put up a proper review of this guitar in just a moment...
    WaddleDeee
    Accidently closed out while sending review, nevermind LOL Long story short soundwise: Distortion 10 Cleans 9 Use a Peavey 6505+ Head, a line 6 PODXT, and a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Cab.Don't feel like going more in depth than that.
    Shinozoku
    However, the aforementioned defense doesn't discount the fact that the guy is a bit newbish and unjustifiably bashes Les Pauls, not taking into account there is more than one guitar sound in heavy metal. A true metalhead would realize this...
    The Uncreator
    hawk6611 wrote: i would like to know how i unjustly bashed the les paul. i think the guitar isnt good
    If your default opinion is that it is not good, then comparing your favorite high end superman be-all end-all guitar to it is unjustly bashing it. Comparisons should be unbiased, we get you don't like les pauls, anyone who does like them though has no true method of comparison other than your well known disdain for them. You SHOULD compare this to your mythical BC Rich Handmade, or whatever it is, since that seems to be as good or better on some levels than this, THAT would be a better context for a review.
    anarchous
    fender's rule all of these guitars.... ihave a FENDER YNGWIE MALMSTEEN MN VW UPGRADE and it rocks everything....
    Slaytan666
    Seems like more Gibson-bashing than reviewing going on here.. But I still want this guitar. It would look great sitting beside my RR5
    Sign of War
    This thing is the best sounding metal guitar I have ever played
    lol i should hope so for $1600.
    Shinozoku
    T00DEEPBLUE wrote: Hooray. Another useless review. It's a shame because i was genuinly curious as to what the guitar is like, but this review explains nothing helpful. It's a Jeff Back pup in your bridge. What gave you the Scott Ian idea?
    It might have aftermarket pickups, considering the guy has had it for 3 years.
    AcousticMetal99
    Shinozoku wrote: However, the aforementioned defense doesn't discount the fact that the guy is a bit newbish and unjustifiably bashes Les Pauls, not taking into account there is more than one guitar sound in heavy metal. A true metalhead would realize this...
    i quite agree. He hasn't taken into account anything other than 1 Jackson, 2 Les Pauls (which i personally define more as Rock than Metal guitars) and 1 BC Rich - it'd hardly a large selection. I was also looking forward to finding out more about this guitar.
    AcousticMetal99
    not to mention, Floyd Roses can affect sustain. i have a Floyd Rose (well, a copy actually). Point being, I have tons of sustain off the thing. Why? Because i don't have the locking parts fully locked - only lightly at the top of the neck, and not at all at the bridge. Besides that, i have the bridge itself fully down to the body.
    dale-banez
    Holy shit. How can you compare a stock Les Paul, or a stock anything, against your SPECIFICALLY modded for metal V (Scott Ian = 22K ohms), and then bash it for not being as good at metal? Also, your jumbo frets are what makes the V feel faster.
    Charlie4
    Great guitar. BUT, Comparing apples with oranges it seems, either way telling Zakk Wylde to his face a Les Paul ain't a metal guitar, well I'm sure he'll convince you otherwise.
    Sakke
    steyn wrote: whats with the gibson loving?
    Well, I for one am trying to prove that this guy is wrong on more than occassion. I don't only like Gibson guitars, I also like Jackson, ESP and Ibanez guitars. I just want to play guitars that feel good, not care about the brand that much.
    I<3Gibson
    i think that the clean sound is better on the kv2 than on the paul. and sakke i have a peavey jsx stack. and i am the man you "bashed" the custom. i thought the guitar was shit i dont care what you think about it. If you want to know more about the king v than ask AcousticMetal99 i can tell you. i would like to know how i unjustly bashed the les paul. i think the guitar isnt good. Charlie4 i will tell Zakk that his paul isnt a metal guitar and he will never convince me otherwise because he dosent play metal. and it is a scott ian in the bridge i put the ****er in their.
    I<3Gibson
    the orig floyd rose has the most sustain of any trem out there. even more than the les paul. the neck thru construction my have alot to do with this but the kv2 has the most sustain out of all of the guitars ive played(besides my BCR handmade.) and ive played almost all the high end guitars out their(i havent played a Ran or a Bernie Rico Jr) the KV2 is a great guitar you wont regret buying it and when you get it you will see why im so aganst gibson and their fan club
    I<3Gibson
    thats not a kv2 its a kv3 i think. made in japan. if its just the paint job though its a awsome one. even if it is a made in japan kv3 or kv5 they are still great guitars but nothing compaird to a usa kv2
    I<3Gibson
    hey Shinozoku stfu amature. my opinion is the truth. i didnt ****ing lie about what i think. just because you dont like it dosent make you somehow better. DJ_Effrey. the gibson hate comes from all the people hailing them a the best guitars ever made. people who say that "nothing compares to a Gibson" well iv compared my Jackson to 2 and it is made better than both for almost half the price of 1 of them. the price tag is my main beef with them. if they sold for 600 to 1600 then it would be a diffrent story but 2k or more their are far better guitars than gibson. i have compared the kv2 to a jap esp vII and i think the kv2 has a better neck and the sound is way better imo. the build quility is the same they are both very good. i havent compared it to any Usa deans. ive never been a fan of the necks on deans so i have never owed one. my Handmade bc rich blows this one away on playibility and build quility. i also paid alot more for my BCR. but i still think the jackson sounds better. most of this is stated in my review.
    T00DEEPBLUE
    Hooray. Another useless review. It's a shame because i was genuinly curious as to what the guitar is like, but this review explains nothing helpful. It's a Jeff Back pup in your bridge. What gave you the Scott Ian idea?