USA Select DK1 review by Jackson

Jackson: USA Select DK1

Purchased from: Portland Music Co.

I play mostly metal and this thing sounds amazing! I run it through a Crate 100W solid state head and a 4X12 Blue Voodoo Cabinet along with a Boss ME-20. With a noise gate, this guitar doesnt make extra noise very often. On the clean channel, the EMG's play like a dream, with a really full sound. On overdrive, this thing packs a punch that is more like a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick! This is probably the most versatile guitar I have ever played. The Floyd Rose is tons of fun to play with!

I've been playing nonstop for about 3 years now, and I like playing anything rock or metal. I also own an Epiphone les paul (doesnt't even compare) and a Crate half stack and a cheapo Fender amp. When I went shopping for this, I also tried a a usa Kelly (KE2) and this was a better guitar overall. It had a fully sound, and was a little more balanced. If this was stolen, lets just say there would be WW3, and I would "Take No Prisoners". The thing I love about it most is the locking trem... so much fun! I only wish this had a neck thru design, but then it would be a soloist. It's a great guitar, and I recommend you get one AND FAST 2008 is the final edition of the DK1.

the question isnt will this guitar withstand Live playing, it's will Live playing withstand this guitar? this thing is brutal tough, and I love it! I would definitely use this without a backup at a gig. So far, the finish has stayed perfect even with all the playing I've done on it! The Floyd Rose feels super solid on this, and the locking nuts can take a lot of force too.

This guitar was set up almost perfectly except for one of the string locks at the bridge was bent, but that was fixed at the store, and was not a factory fault. Other than that, this thing was set up perfectly! pickups were great, the finish was great, the neck was a little dirty, but easily cleaned, and like I said everything was as perfect as perfect gets!

This a 2008 USA made Dinky. It has 24 jumbo frets, with a 25.5" neck of quartersawn maple which, like all Jacksons, is super thin. I bought the transparent blue model, but it comes in various solid colors and graphic as well (same set as the SL2H). The body is a dinky shape and is made of alder and is super light with a bolt on neck. The DK1 comes with a Floyd Rose original tremolo, which stays in tune perfectly. It has a tone and a volume knob along with a 3 way selector switch. It has EMG 81/85 active electronics and it sounds amazing! it has Jackson tuners. I got a Jackson/Charvel case when I bought it, but it will vary store to store.

metal_666_man
    jackson guitars are usually reliable and when you pay that kind of money you're deffitly getting what you pay for
    metal4ever6328
    Lamb of Deth wrote: lame strat shape and ugly paint job (at least the pictured one,... anyone else calling a guitar "Dinky" is partially retarded?
    Lamb of Deth
    cukd7x-a2-
    Tyler Durden wrote: How can anyone rate a guitar all 10's - good review but you cant tell me 10's across the board?
    you just need to try the guitar it was brand new, never before played too
    cukd7x-a2-
    metallica92 wrote: i dont get why you dont just get the SL2...
    the sl2 and dinky are 2 different shaped guitars (same general shape though) and it has emg's, which are actually much better than the duncan's on the SL2
    Amuro Jay
    metallica92 wrote: i dont get why you dont just get the SL2...
    sl2s have duncans rather than emgs, and the dinky style is usually a bit bigger than the soloist. thicker. its personal preference, really
    Fuzzbox91
    divinorum69
    Well If you just paid 1800 for a guitar either its a great upgrade, or you are to happy to admit any flaws.
    S.Y.N.
    It already has active EMGs.
    Yeah well lots of people prefer passive Duncans!
    heminder
    Fuzzbox91 wrote: looks awesome, but why would you get this instead of an SL2 whcih has a neck through body?
    some prefer bolt-ons... a little less sustain, but they're easily interchangeable if anything happens to the neck...
    Tyler Durden
    beanhead
    a couple of flaws i found with mine is that even with emgs there is hiss at full volume, plus the trem is sooo unstable, bending strings pulls them out of tune so much. still rocks tho!!!!!