WRMG Warrior review by Jackson

• Reviewer's score: 6.2 Neat
Jackson: WRMG Warrior

When the guitar does work properly it sounds great, it has a great cutting edge for lead, and a low crunchy tone for rhythm, which surprised me because of it's lightweight. It can be as loud as you need it to be, with the right equipment, but it can maintain a quiet sound without sacrificing any tone. The clean channel is also incredibely clear and has great tone. It can go from raw and cutting to low and crunchy with the flick of a switch and turn of a knob. Keep in mind though that the sound doesn't always work like it should. The rating is an 8 for when it does work, but not a 10 because, as I said, it doesn't always work. As a lead singer and lead guitarist in a thrash metla band, this suits my needs, when it freeking works.

I play in a thrash metal band, and as I have already said, when it works..the guitar is truly a fine piece of work, buyt for the most part there eems to be something missing. I wish I could find out what it is because I would love to begin playing it only a normal basis, but I don't see this happening anytime soon. I have owned it for about 4 years, and it was my main guitar for a year and a half. However, I got pissed off with it's unreliability and bought a Studio Gibson Les Paul, it's been my main guitar ever since, no backups on stage, and no problems. Pros: body, pickups, sound quality (when it decides to work), tone control, floyd rose. Cons: it goes out of tune constantly (in the time it has taken you to read this sentence, the guitar has gone out of tune), gets dirty easily, not worth $699.99, basically Jackson made a rare mistake.

The guitar withstood somewhere around 20 shows or so without a problem, but after that it went downhill. The hardware is a focal point of the guitar, stainless steel. The strap buttons are extremely thick and dependable, I have yet to drop it and I have not put straplocks on it yet. As for would I play it live without a backup, no, not by any means, especially after my dissappointing experience with it. As a matter of fact, I only use it when recording lead guitar tracks, excellent cut.

Overall the finish is gorgeous. Everything appears to be in it's place, but as we already know, something is wrong.Just so readers don't think it is only my axe that's not working, I have had similar experiences on friend's Warriors.

The guitar is beautiful, it gets dirty very easily but it's also very easy to clean. The body is extremely lightweight and the neck is really thin, very fast. But here are the downsides to it: It goes out of tune almost constantly, I literally tune it, plug it, and it is already out of tune, I'm not joking. It also doesn't always respond to what you play, at first I thought it was the battery, but I switched it out and it still didn't work. I'll be rather honest with you, the first time you play it, it will be a wonderful experience, but after a while, you grow bored and move on. It's moderately priced, so it's really not a big deal in that category, but then again I will be calling Jackson for my refund.

Wykidtron
    Oh yeah the guy who gave this guitar a bad review saying it goes out of tune constantly and works only intermittantly is clueless. He doesnt mention specifically what is failing electronicly(probably because he has no clue and its probably as simple as weak springs/bad connection at the output jack) nor does he mention which model he has(probably a WRMG judging by his purchase price). While the Floyd Roses on these guitars are the licenced version vs. the original, they are still quality tremelos and WHEN PROPERLY SET UP INCLUDING BEING INTONATED they stay in tune...period. It must be understood that on a floyd rose, when you put new strings on it will go out of tune a couple of times as the strings settle, even if you pre-stretch them, but after that its dead on. Its initial going out of tune is more noticable than on a string through guitar because on a floyd rose the tuning of one string effects the tension and tuning of all the other strings. Proud owner of a WRMG w/ 10 guage D'Adarrios tuned a step down and sitting at just over a millimeter at the 24th fret with just the slightest fret buz on low E. I love this guitar.
    Wykidtron
    ^youre on the right track. When they first reintroduced the WRMG Warrior, in 2001 I believe, they came with EMG hz's and yes they were passive. However these models came with the "TurboCharger" which allowed for a 20db pregain with the help of a 9 volt and this was activated by the pop-up volume pot others have mentioned. I forget which year they started making the EMG 81/85 combo standard, but all current model MG series Warriors come with these pickups, which of course are active so they stopped putting the turbocharger on them. If you see a WRMG with emg hz's for sale as new, the seller is lying and selling you old backstock as new.
    SB_Haggard
    I have the electronic problem with my WRMG as well, its a beautiful guitar in every way except the dumbass who wired it put the neck pickup wire under an extreme amount of strain, so i had to re attach the pickup a couple times...also ive had to re solder the wires a bunch of times due to a cutting out when i switch pickups, the guitar will hesitate and I'll have to slam down on the strings if im playing with distortion for the sound to kick in...its really annoying, i havent been able to use it for shows, I would also rather buy something with an origional Floyd...guess ill stick to my ESP DV8-r for awhile longer
    TheReverend
    i think a lot of you are reviewing the wrong guitar here. this is the Jackson WRMG. It has ACTIVE EMG 81/85 PICKUPS. NOT HZ's. Also, those of you who have tuning problems, this thing has a licensed floyd rose. which is still a double locking trem. it DOESNT go out of tune if you SET IT UP properly and LET THE STRINGS SETTLE. anyway, ive been looking at a lot of guitars, and i must say, this one seems well worth the extra cash. not to mention that i love jacksons. ive had an esp viper 400 for a long time now, so emg 81/85's are kind of a necessity for me. i want something with a floyd rose and here is what seems like the perfect guitar for me. definately will be my next investment.