WRMG Warrior review by Jackson

Jackson: WRMG Warrior

Price paid: C$ 750

Purchased from: Long and McQuade

I play a variety of music. I mainly play progressive styles (more prog-metal than rock however), but also play a lot of general metal and rock, blues, jazz, classical and funk. I play it through either a small Vox (Pathfinder series), my Marshall AVT50, or my GNX directly into powered speakers (or either of my amps). Normally, it's not too noisy, but the factory set-up did not provide the best wiring (more on that in the next paragraph). The alder body gives it a very nice Strat-ish tone when you boost the mids, and along with the EMGs, give a VERY clear and articulated sound. This guitar performs extremely well under any gain settings, but on clean channels, the EMGs' power gives the guitar a bit of Hot-Rail Syndrome and sounds distorted. This can be somewhat solved by rounding off the tone knob, but the guitar should still be used for mid-high gain settings.

I've been playing guitar for seven years, and will play for anywhere from an hour to five hours (or more on special occasions) a day. I also own a Mexi-Built Strat (which I've customized and won't elaborate on) and various other instruments. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy a different guitar for sheer experimental purposes. The only thing I wish it had was an Original Floyd or a fixed bridge, because with double-locking trems I believe the clich "Go big or go home" applies. Metal guitarists also have a tendency to use alternate (meaning really, really low [verging on Baritone] tunings) and change a lot, and the Floyd is a huge pain to deal with. Fixed bridges provide more comfort and sustain, but sometimes have uncomfortable saddles to play with and can't make that splendid "Gueee!!!" sound that the Floyd is famous for. Though my guitar has given me some minor troubles, I'm sure that it's not a constant among all WRMG Warriors and I'm also sure that any gain-whore will love this guitar as much as I do.

This guitar has proved durable so far (the fact *I've* owned it for all of a month and it still actually looks new is jaw-dropping alone). The hardware seems like it will last a good while. As for reliability: during a Live application, I'd still bring a backup due to the Murphy's Law-like nature of active pickups' batteries dying out at the absolute WORST possible times (even after switching batteries just before gigs). Lastly, though I'm not one to complain about a scratch on my guitar, the finish seems durable and relatively resistant to scratching.

Unfortunately, there were some aspects of the factory set-up that disappointed me. Though most of it was completely fine, the wiring was not done very well. Occasionally, while switching to my bridge pickup, it won't be there. The pickups will also sometimes emit a LOT of noise, but this is partially due to faulty patchcords that I have to use sometimes. The volume pot also creates a lot of static while adjusting it (once again, only occasionally), which is unacceptable. The bridge was routed beautifully, was intonated to damned near-perfection and the action was incredible. The craftsmanship on this guitar (aside from the electronics) was very good, but electric guitars should have properly installed electronics...

I just bought an '08 WRMG Warrior, and I'm going to tell you that it exceeded my expectations. The Warrior is a 24-fret, Standard 25.5" scale guitar. The body is made of alder, while the neck is made of maple, with a bound rosewood fingerboard. The body style somewhat resembles an 'X' and looks really great. It's also surprisingly comfortable to play for such an oddly-shaped guitar. It comes with a liscenced Floyd. Despite the fact that some of these Floyd spin-offs aren't nearly as good as an Original Floyd, this bridge stays in tune extremely well. This is an "I'm going to whammy the living crap out of you like Steve Vai, and you're going to stay in tune whether you like it or not!" kind of bridge. It comes loaded with an EMG 85 in the neck, which is complimented (as with many EMG-loaded guitars) with an 81 in the bridge. It's a classic combination, and it works very well. There is a three-way blade Switch, and a master tone and volume knob.

cdechnik12889
    it amazes me at how people will buy a guitar with a floyd rose, an expensive guitar at that, and don't even know the first thing about setting one up
    Clabbe
    How's the neck looking on this guitar? Like what shape and so?
    kandex
    radicaldookie wrote: this shit never stays in tune....still sexy though
    oh look, another 12 year old raging about a guitar he doesnt know how to set up