JT-133 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-133

Purchased from: www.music123.com

I'm using this through a Vox Pathfinder 15R, and an Ibanez Toneblaster halfstack. No effects. Really cool tone, especially for the money. Nice blues tone with either pickup. Fat with substantial cut, everybody's gotta love that. Sounds very rich. Not a particularly noisy guitar, with the humbuckers and all.

I play anything in the blues/rock area, to which this is well fitted. My other guitars are a Fender American Tele, a '50s Re-issue Strat, a '60s Ventura Classical, a POS Fender acoustic, an Ibanez Jetking, a Galveston Tele clone, and a Strat-ish something from the '70s that as far as the rest of the world is concerned, doesn't exist. This is a alot of crap, and this guitar measures up to everything else I have. At 130 dollars, it's the best deal amongst my instruments. You should buy this.

It's hollow so be gentle. This guitar should last as long as any other semi-hollow ever. pretty big strap buttons, not worried about a fall. I'm not so sure playing live without a backup is a good idea, but I'd be as comfortable with this as with anything else. Finish should take abuse well, but its nothing special so if it gets a little screwed up, it's no big loss.

Good action, great factory setup. Can't say that about my Tele or Strat. I bought this guitar for the Gibson scale, and this guitar plays really well. Decent fret job, not much buzzing at all. This guitar does have a sloppy finish. I don't care so much about that. All the hardware is pretty cool, except the tuners. The tuners blow. Actually, the nut is not so great either. It's cut improperly, and pings when you're tuning up.

This is a new JT-133 purchased from Music123.com. Its features include a set maple neck-kind of thin, painted black. It's a semi-hollow (335 copy), which is pretty cool. In the off-chance you were going to use this thing for metal, reconsider. This, like all semi-hollows I've ever heard of, feeds back uncontrollably in high gain applications. We have two no-name humbuckers here-pretty decent. Clear, kind of old-school sounding. Not muddy. 22 frets. Laminated maple top, body, and sides. Binding on everything, don't like that so much, but it's ok.

vvutever
    I agree with your comments. I just bought one of these guitars. The value for what I bought (around $200.00) is excellent. The finish is actually pretty good. The one small drawbackis that the tuners actually ping when turned. It's sometimes difficult to keep strings in tune then. The guitar is very light and sounds great on both pickups. When played blues style, the lower tone sounds great. Slight buzz on fretboard, but I suspect the guitar factory setup might need a slight adjustment on the neck which I am going to have done. On a scale of 1 to 10, I give this instrument a 6 or 7. Why go out and spend $400 or $500 dollards for an epiphone or other? Just treat this guitar well. Keep it in a hard case.
    SG6578
    Great guitar for the money! Sounds amazing when distorted to a punk tone. Supprisingly good sounding pickups. You might want to get different tuners though.
    elbluto
    I love the look of this guitar, the feel is great...(except two scratches by the head..no biggy). The tone is amazing. For the price it's pretty amazing. It's the second guitar that I own from Jay Turser, the other one is an electric resonator which has a plasticy feeling but wicked sound. The only problem that I found with this jt-133 is that the tuning, but that could be from the cold...I just received it on November 26/07. Bluto