JT-133 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-133

Purchased from: Saratoga Guitar

This guitar is obviously built for a Jazz/blues/soft rock applications. I use it to play mostly blues styles and it works wonderfully. For no name pickups they are very nicely balanced, very crisp highs and nice full lows and a decent middle which tends to be a little treblely. At high distortion levels the guitar tends to feedback a lot due to the hollowbody design. the only thing about the guitar that I do not like is that the tuners are relatively cheap and I plan on replacing them soon with a nice set of grovers.

Overall I belive this is a great guitar for the money I spent on it and in talking to several players I could agree that it actually feels better than the 400 dollar Epiphone Dot, the sounds may be different but the feel is definately superior. I will note that the price I recieved this particular guitar at is cheaper than I should have gotten it for, I happen to know the owner of the shop I got it at so I got a small discount. Currently they are selling the guitars for around 289.00.

Being that I use this guitar to perform with I would say that it would stand relatively easy stage playing, it is not the kind of guitar that you can whip around and spin on stage but I feel very confident that I could play with it Live without the use of a backup.(not that anybody should ever play Live without a backup.)

From the factory the guitar was pretty much pristine. Being that I am OCD the first thing I did was search the entire guitar for any flaws what'soever. All that I was able to find was some flaws in the binding on the inside of the F-holes, nothing serious just a small chip on the inside.

This is a Jay Turser JT-133 semi-hollow body guitar. It consists of a set neck with rosewood 22 fret fretboard, semi-hollow body with two F-holes and what appears to be an arched top. There are two no name humbuckers, a three way selector and two tone and two volume knobs. The bridge is a stopbar TOM style. The tuners are permanantly lubricated and sealed, and the headstock is a 3+3 design (3 on each side) Overall features re pretty Standard for a starter semi-hollow.

bluedeadbear
    Brojo
    bluedeadbear wrote: I just bought this guitar at Saratoga Music Shop 2 weeks ago and this guitar kicks so much ass! I got it in Tobacco Sunburst and her name is Wendy. I play through a 15 watt Line 6 Spider III with full drive on crunch with bass half way and mild reverb. This thing sounds beautiful. I play for the majority at the neck pickup and I have barely any complaints. One issue though is that there were a few noticeable dead spots around the 10th to 15th frets. I recently got the action raised slightly and the majority of them have gone away. I bought this for 300$ after taxes and I am quite satisfied with my purchase. I also own a Fender Stratocaster HSS MIM that I bought last year, I can definately say that this no-name brand is certainly on par with my Stratocaster.
    Hey, i also bought mine at saratoga music shop, if its getting dead spots around the 10th to 15th frets, take it back in and ask for Ed to take a look at it for you (he's the big guy towards the back of the store) typically they fix me up quite well especially if you bought it and it wasnt completely up to par.