JT-133 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-133

Purchased from: Players Row Music Supply

I play mostly alternative and punk, such as Paramor, Sick Puppies, Social Distortion, Green Day, etc. Using a Spider III 15W at the moment but played it through my friends Fender Frontman and it sounded phenomenal for a guitar in this price range. Because of the humbuckers its not a noisy guitar but being a semi hollow it can feed back. The bridge pickup can be a bit harsh so I usually mellow it out with the tone knob, The bridge is perfect for distorted stuff and the neck pickup gives it almost an acoustic tone. Put a set of 10's on it and dropped it a half step and sounds way better.

The guitar suits my style just fine, been playing on the verge of 3 years now and have played Fenders, Gibson, Jackson's etc. This guitar can give an Epiphone Dot a run for its money for sure. If lost or stolen I probably would buy a Telecaster but whatever. If looking for a guitar thats cheap and plays good buy one, but try to play it first, there can be gems and turds depending on the guitar

I have used it for 2 gigs already and I have had no problems with it. I always have a back up no matter what the guitar is, but it seems like a very well made guitar. I think it will last for a while but I would replace the hardware before major gigging. If its nor beat on it will withstand quite a bit. Because I'm a reserved player I usually don't have this problem.

I don't know how it was set up from the factory because I bought it from a music store that sets them up prior but played really good when I brought it home. There are a couple of black spots under the finish but nothing major. The tuners will need to be replaced ASAP. Trying to tune is a pain in the butt. Once in tune though it stays in tune. Going to replace the nut soon but it will do in the mean time.

An '08 Jay Turser JT-133. It has a 22 Fret set-neck in a maple body. A copy of a Gibson ES-335 but I would compare it more to an Epiphone Dot. It has the standard Gibson controls. Two tone controls and two volume controls. 3-way switch with a Tune-O-Matic bridge and generic non locking tuners.