JT-200 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-200

My favorite part about this guitar is the sound! I play mostly Rock Music (Guns N Roses AC/DC style) but I do a fair amount of 50s-60s-70s-80s-90s music and it plays them all and fits most genres of music. The sounds this guitar can make are pretty wide which is why it's been my main guitar for the whole 6 years I've been playing and surly many more years to come! If I put the pick up Switch in the middle it blends both rhythm and treble pickups to make a country sounding almost Strat type sound depending on how you roll back your tone and volume knobs. Of Course these are Humbucker pickups but you can get a good country sound out of this guitar as well. The Rhythm channel of this guitar is just pure gold and sex on a guitar, This is it's strongest point hands down it sounds so natural so bluesy most of all JUICY. 1950s Elvis Presley/Scotty Moore tones are not out of the question on this guitars Rhythm channel, add a bit of reverb and go to town! The natural resonance through the wood of this guitar is just beautiful, it feels good in your hand and you can feel it through your amp as well. 1 year after I bought this guitar in 2003 I was shooting for early 90s Guns N Roses Live tone, I switched the pick ups to Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pickups. My cousin Who strictly buys top name brand guitars like Gibson and Fenders had to do a double take at my guitar when I played it at my Sisters wedding. He was totally sure I had taken the Gibson markings off somehow because of the Rich thick tone this guitar produces with good pick ups. He said tone wise the guitar was right up there with a Gibson and blows away most Epiphone Guitars in the same price bracket. I use a Fender Bandmaster with 2 2X12 cabs as my main Live rig. For effects pedals I use a Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss Metal Zone MT2, Boss GE-7 Eq, Boss Reverb and Delay unit RV-3. One of my favorite tones is just plugging the guitar straight to the amp with no effects and just turning the amp to 5 for volume and letting this guitar loose. It has enough bone stock quality to need no effects for a straight amp plug in and clean jam. I'm rating the sound on this guitar a 10 not only because it's my first guitar not because I'm trying to glorify a cheap under $500 Guitar but because it produces sounds that I expect to be in a guitar, Sounds I wanted to emulate before I started playing guitar and sounds that are clear and jump to the forefront of The Music I play. The sounds that come out of it are what I judge other guitars by.

The thing I like about this guitar is that the neck can accommodate my big fingers for easy chord changes or blistering solos. Most guitars you find in a music store for under $500 seem to have been made for the starving Pygmies in Africa! But Not this one! I have been playing close to 7 years, I have much time to devote to playing so I'm not a young 7 years I'm a experienced 7 years. I must say that when I look at other guitars to buy or to just play I judge them by this guitar, from the look, sound feel and playability. When I pick up a real Les Paul I judge it to how it feels to my Jay Turser and let me tell you this 2002 Jay Turser is one hell of a good factory instrument and with a few upgrades it can be a mythical dream. Its such a good guitar I'm buying another one today in fact so I don't have to detune my guitar between certain songs that require a different tuning. If it were lost or stolen I would stop at nothing to get it back in one piece. Good buy for the money and with a little upgrades in the right places you can have yourself a great performing instrument. I Can't say there's anything I dislike or hate or wish was on this, it's got everything I need and nothing I don't.

As with most Guitars you wouldn't want to intentionally break them in anyway but just playing Live and doing neck bends(not smart)the thing will hold up great I don't see any reason I wouldn't be able to go even 6 hours with this guitar except if the strings went bad but that's a string issue not a Guitar problem. I have been playing this guitar for 6 years heavy now and I can say that only 1 fret had to be replaced just recently and it was a cheap $20 fix due to the design of the frets being easily replaceable. Its as reliable as you make it and as reliable as you should expect it to be. I have depended on this guitar for 6 almost 7 years and it plays like new and with proper care, pot cleaning and fret/string replacements I see no reason for this guitar not to work even 30 years down the road. The guitar is a tank it weighs almost as much as a Les Paul, the strap buttons are solid and the Finish hasn't given any signs of wear after 7 years.

The Action from the factory was set up very well of course I have tweaked it a few times to get the most out of the Guitar. Finnish was a very Deep Purple Stain that accents the wood very nicely. The finish on the guitar I bought was what actually drew me to the guitar it was hands down the most shiny, deep rich looking guitar I have seen even to this day. Jay Turser may not have the overall quality of Gibson guitar but they are damn equal when it comes to finish and staining of the wood (at least on my Jay Turser).

I don't know where it was made... Don't care. Was made in 2002. I'm not a wood expert don't know! This information was never given to me. All I can say is I never played a guitar in my life prior to buying this guitar and I walked into The Music store and liked the Les Paul design and color of this guitar and I bought it for $220 and here I am 6 years later with such a wonderful performing instrument!. After playing Gibson's and Epiphones and countless copy's and many different name brands of guitars I realized that for blindly buying a Guitar this Jay Turser Les Paul Copy was a damn good investment for a beginner as I was 6 years ago. The stock pickups will get you by they sounded good, how good? don't remember that was 5 years ago! Most guitarists Who are in it for the long haul will go directly to upgrading to their own style of pickups that suits them best as I have with adding Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 pros to my Guitar. I'm not a EMG pickup fan but Even I thought EMG pickups sounded great on this model of guitar! Tried one in a music store with EMG's and for once they didn't sound sterile and lifeless. Most people Who are a Guitar enthusiast weather it be this guitar or a $5000 Gibson are going to change the pickups on their guitar (especially if they are inspired by a specific guitarist) to meet their needs. Stock Pickups will satisfy any beginner or semi pro but a professional will change his pick ups any way so asking how the stock pickups sound is kinda irrelevant. It has 22 frets, solid body guitar all one piece of un molested wood for the body. Don't know what type of wood the body is but the Fret board is Rosewood. All I can say about the wood in the body of the guitar is that it's NOT compressed fiber board or any junk like that it's real wood with visible grain the whole way through very hard and tough. Guitar came with Silver hardware, adjustable bridge, t bar and tuning pegs.

warrenguitar
    Dont like the color at all, but a nice guitar. Always good to have a Les Paul shape. I love Arctic Monkeys!
    gdkid2010
    This guitar is great. I bought it last winter and I am in love with it. It has great sound and it is durable. I would definitely recommend this to any guitar player who wants a great guitar for a little price. (I bought it for $260 at my local West Music... can't beat that)
    ePOWsa
    I bought one of these about 3 years back, I really like it. I play it all the time, the stock pickups are pretty good. Sounds just as good as an Epiphone.