JT-200 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-200

Purchased from: String & Things Guitar Wholesale (ebay)

I play rock, hard rock, metal, blues and it fills all my needs! I'm using a Behringer GMX212 100 watt stereo combo with 2 special design Jensen 12" speakers, no foot pedals, only what is in the amp and the midi foot board to control it! This guitar ROCKS! Rich, full tone, singing sustain! Great overtones and pinch harmonics! It'll do anything from clean finger style to all out heavy freakin metal to rich singing blues! Very comparable to a Gibson Les Paul!

I've been playing for 30+ years, much of it professionally. I've had (and still have) Gibson Les Paul Customs, Studios, SG's, among others, and this is as good as any of them, it just doesn't say "Gibson" on it (AND DIDN'T COST $1500)! It's BETTER than any of the Epiphone Les Paul's or SG's I have. In fact I'm getting ready to put most of them on eBay! This is going to be my main guitar for sure! Not as heavy as a "Paul" (real close, about 7 lbs), but heavier and thicker than my '78 Melody Maker, and soundS and plays better! I play rock, hard rock, metal (Alice In Chains, God Smack, Soundgarden, Puddle Of Mudd, Ozzy, Pantera type) and some blues, and ZZ Top. It does it all! From clean finger style to all out rippin' metal to singing blues solos. If it were stolen I would buy another without hesitation, in fact I'm ordering another JT-200 Pro next week and a JT-220. If I had realized earlier that this Jay Turser is a fine instrument I would have NEVER spent my money on the cheap, inferior Epiphone, Gibson wanna be's. This blows them away for the quality, feel, finish, sound, and most important, THE MONEY! I've checked out a lot of guitars, and you can't buy a comparable guitar for anything less than TWICE what this cost! Don't waste your money buying that Epiphone name just because it's related to Gibson! It may be "cheap", as far as cost, but they have done a top notch job of building these axes. Don't waste your money! Buy one of these! You can't go wrong!

This guitar is rock solid! Should hold up to heavy gigging very well! The hardware seems good, not the best, best REALLY good for a $150 guitar, new. The tone/volume controls are smooth and tight, no scratching or obnoxious noises the selector Switch is tight, although it will probably wear out in a year or two of heavy use. The strap buttons are ok, but I'm installing strap locks (all my guitars have strap locks). EVERYONE should have some type of strap lock. Only takes one fall to make it firewood! I'm sure this guitar will hold up very well, barring any accidents, it is only made of wood after all. I would definitely use it for gigging without a backup, but I always have a backup axe in case I break a string or something. The finish is flawless, and you can see EVERY detail on the ebony finish! Beautiful!

It came VERY well setup, action is just right, neck adjusted properly and strings intonated. Neck adjusted perfectly. One string was out of tune after being shipped 1000 miles on the UPS truck! Pickup heights are just right, frets nicely dressed, no sharp edges. The neck is like a Gibson 60's slim taper, just how I like them. AND with binding! The finish is perfect, the chrome hardware is really nice, everything is tight and properly aligned. The tuners are excellent, nice and smooth and hold tune very well, about an 18:1 ratio I would guess. And the keys are adjustable for tension like Grovers, Schallers etc. This blows my Epiphone G400 away! And I bought it new for TWICE the money!

This is a 2010 model, made in China. Set neck (mahogany), double cut body (Melody Maker style), alder body with carved maple cap. 22 medium frets, beautiful, smooth, polished rosewood finger board. Ebony finish with cream body/neck binding, cream pickups/rings, gold knobs, chrome hardware. Tune-o-matic style bridge, 2 volume/tone controls, passive pickups (HOT!). Came with a cable supplied.