JT-220 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-220

Purchased from: eBay

I play pretty much your standard rock and blues. Some punk and a little country. I am playing through a Line 6 Spider III 120 with 2X10 120 with a Line 6 FBV board and I must say I was blown away by how the JT-220 sounded as soon as I pluged it in. We are talking a guitar that cost 159 dollars new. I have done a little digging and I belive I have one from the first run of this new model. The sound is rich and full even dialed up with little break up.

This is a good overall guitar for anyone who plays blues rock, rock, bules and country (twang). I have 2 Strats, have been playing for 20 + years and always wanted a set neck single cutaway guitar but did not want to shell out 3 or 4 hundred for one. If this guitar was stolen I would buy another one for sure. The only things that wern't so hot (the bridge & tuners) I replaced. As soon as I put roller bridge on it and set the inotation it really set it off. The tuners were just LP copy type so I replaced them with a set of wilkinson. I compaired a number of LP copies and an Epiphone or 2 that I had picked up at some of the locial music stors before I thought about buying this JT-220 based on a couple of JT-200s I picked up. For the price it can't be beat especially if you (like me) are not sure a single cutaway LP type guitar is something you will adapt to after playing Strats for many years. I think for 159 dollars for this guitar is a steal.

This guitar would stand up to a live playing and the hardware seems solid enough. The strap buttons are good and heavy. I think it would be safe to say it would be fine to gig with (I have been playing it every day for over 3 months now with no proplems) and the finish is so thick that I think it will hold well for many years. I used to refinish cars for a livein and the depth of gloss on this JT 220 is sick.

The set up was in the ball park the action was a little high but I atribuate that to the cheep bridge you will find on just about all of the LP copies out there. The pickups were in the ball park also ba little high. The Finish is un real. The only flaw I see here is a sleight run that was wet sanded out and is verry hard to see. All electroincs are fine no loose hardware. The only complaint here is that it has one of those composite nuts that seem to be popular these days even on the Epiphones.

It was made in Dec. 2007 A New Model JY 220 it has a set neck with 23 thin frets and is rosewood. The body is a Standard cutaway LP type with a sunburst solid top and wood grain back (great finish). It has a standard Tune-O-Matic bridge with your Standard LP copy hardware.

qotsa1998
    5th Its only a 22 fret neck. Otherwise, i kinda like it. With a few upgrades, it should be pretty good.
    the_axis
    11! and yeah, i got one of these as my first guitar and i was really really disappointed with it actually the sound is pretty nice, it plays....alright but the quality of mine was horrible within like 4 or 5 months, the pickup switch completely stopped working, now theres no sound out of rythym or mid, only treble. and the input jack was filled with sanddust on several occasions. and the tuners.... i just won't speak of that overall, i'm sure there were alot of better options than this. i've played an epi and liked it better
    Anjohl
    I just sat down in a music store for an hour and a half or so, and played a Stagg LP copy priced at $400, an american made Heritage LP at $2200, and a JT LP Copy at $200. I REALLY liked the JT. I have been palying guitar for 13 years, and I am far from a pro, but I know a good tone, and this guitar has it! Of course, with cheapies, each individual guitar is going to differ drastically, but I have to say, I was shockingly suprised at how good the JT LP sounded!
    Phoenix-Kun
    3rd Its a hell of a guitar, and a guitar maker, I have the Custom Version, with the Vine Inlays, and once i dropped seymour duncan mayhem pick-ups in it, it ROARS, its a hell of a guitar, deff worth the money
    toolhead1990
    LOVE this guitar, my dad has a gibson and most of my friends have ESP LTD's and i can get the same sound out of my jay turser with upgraded humbuckers. those that said the guitar sucks either do not know what they are talking about or just have bad luck and got an abused one. give this guitar a chance its a great deal. a beautiful guitar with an even better sound for under 200 bucks, thank you jay turser.
    SlashWannabe1
    Can you really take the reviewer seriously when he says it has 23 frets? I put Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro's in mine and it sounds right up there with the best of Gibsons. I'll post my review within the next month! I love my guitar alot I've had it since december 2002 learned how to play on it and have been playing ever since I got it toured with it and so far I only had to replace the 7th fret because of the shit in A tuning I do.... big deal $20 labor included and I was back on the road shreadin the fk out of it.
    RRW Whitey
    I agree totally, I don't think you can beat one of these JT series guitars from Jay Turser. The only thing I did was put a roller bridge on it. Dollar for dollar a fantastic guitar!!!
    Jeff the hippie
    I played the gt today and was blown away!! I put it up against a strat and the epiphone and there is no contest. The Jay Turser had a better feel better action and better sound and sustain. I am not a fan of the strat at all anyways. I didnt feel a connection with the strat and had a hard time playing it. But once I picked up the Jay Turser I played better than ever, like it was meant for me. I will be getting either the gt or the jt in black. I compared the finish to the epiphone and like the turser better.I used to play the famous yamaha gt2000 and a telecaster, hated both but got cheap. this is the same price as those were back in the 80s, Excellent value regardless of what the strat boys and critics say.
    JoelTheShredder
    i hte you for ruining the number chain
    appetite4gnr wrote: I've always avoided these in shops. It's cheap price suggests an obvious cheap LP copy, like so many others. but... A friend of mine bought one, and it sounds great. It actually plays really well too, very comfortable and smooth. Only flaw I found was that the knobs were a little off-axis. Its the perfect beginner guitar: cheap, reliable, classic LP styling. It's a great alternative to an Epi(since everybody has 'em)
    Vasser
    I'm really happy with my Jay Turser strat knock-off, and I think I might invest in this LP knock-off just because I've been so happy with my JT strat.
    Lasyk
    i might pick one up, definately a black one though, personally hate sun bursts xD itll be my first 6 string though, i am a bass player
    Phoenix-Kun
    Its not only for beginners, I've been playing nearly 4 years, and am no beginner, and i still get great tone and quality out of my Jay Turser, not only that, its one of the most gorgeous guitars in my collection. Stock its not the best, Put some Custom Pick-ups in it, and the sustain and tone really comes out in it, and it does play incredibly smooth, great jazz/blues guitar, it works for metal and heavy rock too, but its best suited for jazz and blues imo
    appetite4gnr
    pcell619
    my friends was stolen at a concert and given back to him because it sucked