JT-220 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-220

Purchased from: Firehouse Guitars and Music, Conyers GA

It suits my style pretty well. I play grunge and post-grunge and some metalish stuff. I also play cleans. This guitar suits both of those pretty well. I use a DigiTech RP90 with a Danelectro Fish n Chips EQ and a Fender FM65 with it. It's not noisy at all (humbuckers) and it's got a good sound. The sound isn't exactly bright. The clean sound is only good on the middle and rhythm positions, but distorted is only good on Treble. I'm shocked at how good the Treble position is distorted. It's pretty clear. You can do everything from "Nutshell" by Alice In Chains to freakin "Back In The Day" by Local H and it sounds fine.

I play grunge, metal, post grunge, and some lighter stuff. It's a very good match. I have been playing 2 years as of last month, and I have an MiM Strat and no other really good guitars. There's nothing I wish I would have asked, other than a setup. But it's not Jay Turser's fault. If it were stolen or lost I'd probably buy it again, unless I had enough money to get like a Gibson or something. Which wouldn't happen. Jay Turser it is. I love that it's versatile, it looks great, it's weighted great, it sounds great, and it gave me hope on Les Pauls after getting an Epiphone LP Special. I hate nothing about it. Other than the strings need changing. My favorite feature is the pickups - they're soooo shiny and they match the guitar perfectly. I compared it to an Epi Standard I believe and I liked it better. I chose this one because I liked it and my birthday was soon so, you know, why not? Nothing I wish it had. Other than it being my dream guitar (HHH, 3 coil taps, 3 on offs and a kill switch) but hey, how are you gonna find that in $190? This is a great guitar.

I think this guitar would withstand live playing. It sounds great and it's got great weight to it, and it looks like it'd hold up (it also looks great). The hardware seems very solid, 3x as good as my Epiphone Les Paul Special. The strap buttons are fine and have never come loose. I can depend on it for sure! I would use it on a gig without a backup, but I'd probably bring my MiM Strat with me for songs in different tunings. The finish seems it'd last an eternity assuming you're not spilling beer on it every other night.

I have no idea how it was set up at the factory, it was used. I had to set it up myself after I used it and it was very easy to setup. The pickups are adjusted well. No flaws. There are a few chips from the other person (and me) but that's natural. Builds character!

It was made... Before my birthday in 2009 (bought it used and no serial so I dunno). Alder body, rosewood fretboard, not sure about the neck. Black finish, Les Paul body style, ToM bridge, your average Les Paul controls. HH. So, basically a black Les Paul. All you need.

JonnyMonster91
    I just paid $140 dollars for one of these beasts. I couldn't be happier right now. Good lord. It's beautiful and it sounds as good as it looks. If you're looking for a two humbucker setup or a Les Paul copy, look no further. For the price, this takes the cake.