JT-220 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-220

Purchased from: eBay

For the price, the sound is awesome and has great sustain. I use a Line 6 Spider II 212 and this guitar rocks. Did some adjustments out of the box and played some AC/DC and rattled the house. I have an Epi Les Paul Goldtop and I just sold an Epi Les Paul Standard Ebony and the JT-220 is every bit as good as the Epi. If I could afford it and was a better player, I would want a real Gibson Les Paul. That being said, this guitar rocks and is a great guitar for anyone that doesn't have a lot of dough. Out of the box the guitar plays well and with a little tweeking I set it up to my liking. I won't do it but if someone were to put some better pickups in, this guitar would be awesome. I can't tell you how surprised I was by the sustain.

I have had it for two years, play it every day and out on weekends and it is serving me well. I play rock, blues and metal and this guitar is really something. I have been playing, off and on, for more than 20 years. As far as a Les Paul copy, I have yet to find or play one better including the Epiphone. I still love the Gibson's but would not shell out that kind of money at this point in time. If this were stolen, I would buy another. I wish that Jay Turser made a Black Beauty with 3 pickups, that is the only thing I wish I had.

This guitar has stood up well over the past two years. I have not changed anything but lowered the action a little. Everything is still solid and great. All hardware is holding up well. I use this as my main guitar and would have no problems with this being my only guitar except I also bring a acoustic-electric with me.

The guitar was setup pretty good out of the box but I lowered the action a little. Neck was perfect and straight. Came with D'Adarrio strings and they were fine for my taste. The pickups were right on and sounded great and the electronics were solid. It has die-cast machines that I like better than the ones on my Epiphone LP Goldtop. The guitar is solid with a beautiful finish and binding. You can get it in Cherry Sunburst, Ebony and Vintage Sunburst. I always loved Vintage and she is beautiful.

Bought this Jay Turser JT-220 in Vintage Sunburst two years ago. I paid $190 including shipping. It is a 2009 Model Les Paul Copy. It was made in China. My local guitar shop has a 1968 Gibson Les Paul - Vintage Sunburst in a glass case and it has always been my dream guitar but the asking price is $6,500 and I am not worth it. My Jay Turser is a beautiful Vintage Sunburst, maples with rosewood fingerboard. It has block pearl inlays and 2 humbuckers.

TEKarma
    SlashWannabe1
    I agree with someone else who said each guitar you get is a mixed bag, I've owned and tried some JT's that really kick ass and others that were below the standard for guitars and fellow JT's in general. My first JT-220 from 2002 is practically unmatched by any epiphone I've ever tried and on par if not exceding some Gibsons for playability & quality as well as tone. Its kind of funny that my sister bought a JT-220 2 months after me in early 2003 and hers was below the standard of mine which was made in mid/late 2002. Personally I really can't hold stock pickups against a guitar for a tone rating, it would be like saying a car handles like crap in the rain just because it has bald tires. I put alnico 2's in my JT-220 and its my main recording guitar and I own real Les Pauls and a high quality Austin LP copy that I threw alnico 2's & orange drop caps in, as well and they all rock!.
    SlashWannabe1
    TEKarma wrote: I don't know how you can give a guitar a 10 for sound while saying that it would sound awesome with better pickups. Wouldn't the better pickups be closer to a 10, then?
    True to a point but if you look at it as Tone is a subjective entity, meaning just because the tone or output may not be the best for one style, the quality of the sound could still be a 10 and but not right for a certain style of music but it could nail someones style of music.
    SlashWannabe1
    Most important thing is to try ANY Guitar before you buy! Never trust a guitar will be great just based off a brand name, always try before you buy. Every brand will produce something mind blowing every once in a while, while sometimes each will produce something thats pure junk some brands more consistent than others.
    wblakesx
    one can buy a $250 martini and tell everyone how a $12 one sucks. it just posing though. posers
    slickrick78
    I own 2 jay tursers 1-a warlord and 2-a jt 220. Both are excellent guitars and for the money are well worth every penny. Maybe some people get lemons or maybe they're just not a good enough luthier to make it as badass as it can be. Yes mine needed a little finesse when I got but I'll say this. I own an 84 Ibanez dt450cs and its setup masterfully. Both my tursers play every bit as good as the Ibanez hands down. Course I can setup a squier and with a blindfold on youd be hard pressed to tell the difference against an American strat. So in essence its the skills behind the setup that determines the quality of the playability.
    sicmidic
    Top brands I paid too much for sucked! All the guitar makers steal from each other! I have a Jay Turser 133 and love it, I played an EPI studio and it looked like shit and played worse. I played a jt 220 a black beauty and loved it. I am going to pick it up this week! Great guitars at a real price.
    brl312
    I picked up a gold top from a pawn shop near ECU school of music. Dude this thing is awesome. The action is very low, the pu sound great, the playability feel is beyond anything I thought. I really do love this thing. Somebody spent some cash getting this playable, their lost my gain.
    peatea
    I have been playing for 50 years and have owned a few Gibson's. I wanted a newer Les Paul goldtom and saw this new on ebay for $220 and figured I'd take a chance. Plans were to change all the electronics and use '50's LP wiring plus Kent Armstrong humbucker size P90's. That was a big job and it came out well. Next was to change the name on the headstock to Gibson, another big job. This guitar looks, feels and plays like a dream. I gig with it often and have had many positive comments on it. I bought a Gibson case for it too. All in all I have about $600 invested in it and plenty of work. It came with a chambered body and is very light weight. It was a decent guitar to start with but now it is one of the best I ever played and heard and it is light and looks beautiful.