JT-220D review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-220D

Price paid: € 215

Purchased from: Mediastore.hr

The guitar I played was made in China and it was made this year (2016) if I remember correctly. I played it in the shop for a few hours, so I cannot ready what year the model is, but I'm a long time player so I know what I'm talking about.

It has 22 frets, rosewood fret board on a set-neck mahogany neck on a mahogany body. The guitar isn't as heavy as a Tokai LP model for instance and therefore lays on the torso better (for me particularly, as I do not like extra heavy guitars). It also has a TOM bridge, two passive humbuckers, a three-way switch, 2 volume and 2 tone knobs. I played one in Trans Red finish which looks extraordinary. The out-of-the-box setup was very well done!

The only reason I've given it such a low grade in this section is the fact that the bridge volume knob was not correctly set into the body of the guitar - it actually touched the body while spun and that made it hard to manipulate while searching for and doing some dynamics in my tone. That mustn't happen. The rest is made very well and fits an LP style guitar quite nicely.

I'm a guy that mostly plays metal on ANY guitar I take in my hand. Literally. I first try some clean chords and tones (to see how far a guitars' range goes, how clean it sounds on a clean channel and how articulate the tones are in particular chords and on particular frets). If it sounds good clean, then I gladly put the beast in high gain amps and/or sound presets I use on PC.

Just to let you know, I played this on Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18 Twelve. Take that as a notion, as that is not some random cheap-ass amp people seem to do reviews on when buying cheap guitars.

First of all, the tone is a banger. It's articulate, has a lot of punch to it, the sound is at bright as it gets on the bridge and sounds really, really full on the neck. You can get tons of sounds out of this guitar. The guitar itself has a particular bite one might search for when playing thrash or death metal, or even rock. It sounds really good for blues stuff too, as I like to play that after all the growling is done.

If you get this piece of gear for yourself, you'll be very, VERY well pleased with it! Trust me :)

As I already said, the out-of-the-box setup was done very good. The finish was flawless and it definitely looked like it can take a bump while not compromising the looks and quality of the body finish. All of the hardware was chrome, as well as the pickup covers. The guitar also had a cream-white pick guard which looked really nice on it, knowing the fact that I do not like pick guards very much. The neck was really smooth to play, polished so it doesn't tire the hand while playing (my hands are pretty small and I had a bumped small finger on my left hand so that's quite notable). Nothing bad of note here as all was done very well.

I would use it as a first guitar on stage, as it is really sturdy and seems very reliable for the use. I bought an LTD MH-1000 recently so I have no need of a JT on stage, but if I had some extra money I'd most probably take one - especially the Serpent model as it looks MINT! Wouldn't gig without a backup though, but that is mainly because I have a tendency to break picks and strings on live plays. I get pretty aggressive while playing and have a VERY hard picking style and pick attack. All of the hardware was done nicely and it would withstand even some of the hardest beatings (trust me, I've done those a lot).

At some point though, I'd get myself a better quality guitar as I am aiming towards living as a musician, so it wouldn't really be fitting to demolish a guitar like this by traveling to gigs all over Europe.

The guitar really left a good impression on me as a picky guitar player. If I got myself one and got it stolen, I'd probably skip getting another one simply because I'm simply a guy that loves to experiment with equipment under 400€. For its price range though, the guitar is absolutely gorgeous and plays like a dream. Would definitely recommend getting one yourself!

The only bad subject I stumbled upon it was that volume knob, but I'm sure it was only effed up on this particular guitar (as others in the shop had their pots well made). Other than that, I warmly recommend them to people of the world. I hope the review helped you guys decide. Cheers!

CoconutBackward
    "Plays like a dream". This is about the least descriptive way to describe how a guitar sounds and for some reason this is in practically every review of a guitar I see on the internet.
    Shiverize
    I did not inted that comment as a critic to its SOUND, but how the guitar felt when I played it; as in fluent. One cannot "sound" like a dream. Sorry if it turned out badly, I'll try and improve on my further reviews
    jmonk2112
    My niece started out on one of these. The only drawback I discovered with it is that tuning would slip quite easily.With all cheap guitars, the main issues usually come down to cheap parts and the electronics. Better tuners and a better bridge and this isn't a bad little player.
    fuchead
    I have to say these guitars have gotten way nicer since I had one like 15 years ago
    Metallichemical
    Agreed! I got one for Christmas 13 years ago when I was nine years old. A strat copy. I still have it, don't play it though. It is not a great quality guitar, but these newer ones seem great!
    XxInFaMoUs
    At my old place of work we sold Jay Tursers. They are without a doubt one of the better brand of guitars you can get at such an affordable cost. Have yet to try this model in particular, but if its quality is aligned with the rest of their guitars, I look forward to sitting down with it!
    Anjohl
    They are actually pretty darn good. One of the best Tele's at under $1,000 I ever played was a JT, and I regret not buying it.
    mobidguitar
    If you want to be taken seriously, don't take a ford tempo to the drag strip. Would you really play a Jay Turser on stage?
    Shiverize
    Yes, I would. I played an ESP LTD EC-50 on stage for years actually (as I'm not a guy that has tons of cash, plus Croatia isn't the richest nor the most grateful country in the world when talking about money) and it served me very, VERY good. I don't think that it's important which instrument you take on stage as long as it sounds, plays and feels good
    mobidguitar
    Croatia! oh my apoligies. There are not an abundance of guitars in the area. What kind of amps are you running there, and are they 120 or 240 volt?
    Shiverize
    Yep, it's a shitty situation down there, although recently we got a site similar to thomman.de, so there's somewhat more choices than before. The amps are mostly 230/240 volt, haven't seen anyone use 120 so far
    markomaricgameogre
    Hi im from Croatia too (i live in Vinkovci) and can you pls tell me what is the site similar to thomman.de?Also can you tell me what is a good guitar for beginners that is Les Paul shape?My budget is 2000kn.So far im considering this one from the review, Encore E99 BLASTER Series and  Epiphone Les Paul 100 Which one is the better?(btw. i know that they all aint special but i cant really go higher in price cuzz i get bored on annything i like fast )