JT-300 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-300

Purchased from: Ardens Music

This guitar is awesome in ways and bad in others. For the price this guitar kicks ass. Its best sound quality is in clean electric, the notes are bright and clear. Distortion is where this guitar lags behind. Chords are sometimes hard to make out, and the pickups hum really bad. You can get rid of this hum by selecting 2 pickups at once, but then the sound quality is lower. I'd give it a 4 for acoustic and maybe 3 for distortion...

This guitar doesn't compare to Gibsons, or Schecters, any famous high quality guitar manufacturer. This guitars strong point is its value. This is a cheap guitar but it doesn't sound it. I was amazed when I played it and it sounded good. If your looking ti be the next big thing, this isn't your guitar. If your learning or need a cheap back up, this is it. Overall a good guitar, (you get more than you paid for).

This guitar isn't really made for live performances. With an awesome amp it might hold up but with the unclear distortion amplified to a huge proportion it might just sound like ****, (I haven't used it live). The hardware is durable and could withstand a live concert, but I'm not sure about the bridge. The bridge itself is reliable but I find that the strings will break easy if you pound on it for too long. Yeah I know thats always an issue but last night playign smells liek teen spirt I managed to bust the A string so i dunno, getting caught up in the action live and whaling on your guitar might be a problem. But if your just screwing around by yourself or with a couple of friends thsi guitar is great for it. At a concert this would be the back up. Gonna go with a 3 for action.

This guitar is well put together. It's durable, fairly light weight and balanced really nice. When you get a strap on it it rests perfectly flat against you. The pickups were fairly well adjusted (their pretty cheap so they are probably at their full potential). One thing I found were the strings and pickups didn't line up. They're about 2-3mm off centered, that might be the reason it hums. Also the entire guitar becomes magnetised by the current, so that also causes hums. The pickup selector is pretty loud but at least its durable. The bridge is excellent and adjustable for your needs or preferances, and all the hardware was well attatched when I got it and still is. The wood is good quality and nice and smooth. The handle is so smooth you almost forget your holding it at times. One fault that I know of from my friends who have older guitars of the same design are that the tuning and vome knobs, and the tip of the pickup selector get loose and either break or slip off. But that also depends ont he care given to it by the owner (they got theirs used).

I got this guitar brand new (2003) on sale. I'm not sure exactly where it was manufactured. Probably China like everything else. Now I know what your thinking. Why the hell are you doing your review on one of the most popular guitar designs in the world? Well I want people to know how affordable and durable it is. This guitar features 22 jumbo frets, a solid top, 2 tone 1 volume and a 5 way selector. All 3 pickups are single coiled humbuckers. I have no idea what the pickups are, probably just Jay Turser or some small company. Body is made from umm.. solid wood lol.. I really like the color scheme of the guitar. Simple white on blue, but if you look closer you can see the wood streaks through the paint.. a pretty cool effect. The bridge is a string through body, and it has locking tuners straight over the bridge. The neck is average, not fat but definatly not thin (it's about 2 inches at top and maybe 2.5 at the bottom. I paid $499 and got this guitar, a strap, carry case, cable, strings, and a crate 15 watt amp with reverb and distortion. A great deal. The fretboard is maple, and there is a whammy bar.