JT-300 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-300

Price paid: C$ 130

Purchased from: Meriam Music

I've always played a lot of hard rock/metal guitar. The guitar came as part of a package, and I played it with the 6 watt amp it came with for almost 3 years. I now have a Peavey Vypyr 75, and it sounds MUCH better. The sound itself through both amps is very crunchy. I love it! I learned how to do pinch harmonics on this guitar, and they sound incredible every time I do them. The crunch really makes me smile, and I sometimes prefer the sound to my friend's Gibson Explorer. As for the clean. It's pretty warm. No real buzz or hum when you're on the clean channel. I'm not a clean player, but I'd say that the clean sound is probably a little better in comparison to the heavy sound from this guitar. Nothing lacking in either though.

Very fun guitar! If you want to out-heavy your friends' Jackson or Dean with a 130$ guitar, then this is the one for you! Guarantee, you will outsqueal anyone and watch people who actually know guitars marvel at how your cruddy Jay Turser is making that noise! I've been playing guitar for 5 years now, and this has been solid and reliable for anything I want to play. It's not the greatest guitar ever made, but that's not to be expected. (remember 130$?) You won't get a guitar that you're able to take on tours or record with, and it's not even that pretty to look at. But if you buy one of these, you will certainly get a whole lot of fun, and a great adventure that certainly makes it all worth it in the end! For 130$, I'd buy this guitar (hopefully with a working volume knob next time) over and over again. If it were stolen... well let's face it, no one's going to steal this guitar. Nobody knows the true adventure it holds but people that have owned and played it. I appreciate this guitar a great deal, and I'm very glad that I own it. It is and has always been my go-to guitar.

I this guitar could probably withstand live playing, I mean... it wouldn't fall apart or anything. I certainly wouldn't reccomend taking the equivilant of a Squire up on stage to play a live show though, strictly for quality of sound. The hardware seems durable, nothing's broken or chipped or scratched. Strap buttons seem solid, I wouldn't trust them too much though. I can always depend on this guitar to be sitting on my stand and ready to go. I practice with it more than I play my ESP KH-603. It's truly a lot of fun. It comes out of tune pretty quickly once you get bending and stuff, and don't even bother using the whammy bar it comes with... That will 100% throw your strings up to a half step out of tune. The finish has lasted this far, and I can't see it going anywhere.

Factory setting was fine, nothing was wrong with it at all, except for electronics. The finish was a nice, dark maroon and it was very nicely polished. Neck was calibrated perfectly, along with the bridge/pickups. Strings were a little cheap, but you can't ask for much for 130$. As for the electronics. The volume knob never worked. It drives me crazy! I've taken it apart and cleaned all the connections numerous times but I just can't seem to get the damn thing to work! When I'm not playing, you get terrible noises from the thing. It is never silent, mostly because I don't have a volume knob. Switching pickups makes weird noises too, but did you expect anything else? 130$ people.

I got this guitar about 4 years ago when I first started playing. I really didn't know much about it, and I didn't care to look up where it was made or anything like that. It's got 22 jumbo frets on what looks to be a maple neck and a rosewood fingerboard. Strat body... Look at a picture.

COREYTAYLOR721
    Yeah I mean if it was my only guitar and I was playing through a practice amp I would probably hate it. I have one with a maple neck though in the light blue finish. I have an AC15C1 and this guitar sounds pretty good with it. I had never really owned a strat or even any single coiled guitar (RGA42FM, PRS Custom SE). Overall though the neck feel better than a squier and it sounds good through my amps. Perhaps if people are not having luck getting it to sounds good practice some more because besides a bad neck pickup the guitar is okay.
    peatea
    I read all the reviews here and they seem like they are from 5 YO's. Of course they all know everything. I'm an old guy who has been playing for over 40 years. This is a great guitar, sounds more like a Strat than a Strat. I changed the neck to a 72 Fender neck and I replaced the tuners but nothing else. I have 7 guitars most made in the US and this is my primary gigging guitar. It has never failed me and it looks and sounds gorgeous. I play through a 1989 Marshall half stack (tube) and a Fender Super Champ (also tubes. I couldn't ask for a better playing and sounding strat. A couple years after buying this I bought a Jay Turser Les Paul. I don't like humbuckers so I changed them to P90's and 50's wiring. Another fabulous guitar for cheap.
    Kirkcrimson
    Hell, I've had schecters, first act, esteban, esp, Gibson lespauls, and many more nameless guitars, I purchased my jay turser 2014 after a six month stint on the streets with nothing, got a mg100hcfx half stack and have played my jt for six months or so. I can only say they make excellent guitars. No problems wit buzz or tuning, unless I have new strings on it, the pickups are a little weak so I replaced the neck pickup with one out of an old Yamaha guitar. Beef'd it up really nice like. Would recommend this guitar to anyone, regardless of experience. Remember, its not the tools, its the operator using them.