JT-50 review by Jay Turser

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Jay Turser: JT-50

Purchased from: Musician's Market Place

I usually play rock, blues and metal simply cos I know my guitar wouldn't be able to handle jazz styles if I tried them. I'm using them on my Fender Princeton and my Fender Sidekick. Both are great amps but it has absolutely terrible sound. The action on it is mega high, so I have to use heavy strings, and buzzes like mad even when I'm just in distortion. It really can't do much of the crazy tricks I've tried to do, fast solos techniques won't work cos the fretboard is uneven, quick pick up changes can be heard so distinctly, and the volume controls are not even close to being sensitive.

Over all this guitar is arse but great for a beginner due to the mind blowing low price ($250 CAD, about $180 USD) came with a great set up. I've been playing guitar for about 4 years and other instruments such as sax and flute for 9. I wouldn't really care much if anything happenned to this guitar however I'd like to at least get enough to save up for something else. The guitar is pretty crappy, weighs a ton and plays like rough toilet paper. It gives the illusion of an Angus Young SG guitar, but can't even begint to compare to it. If you're starting off with little cash, buy it, but it definetely won't last if you get better.

The guitar can not really be used for live playing unless it's for simple songs which use one effect through out the whole song or something like punk, etc. The finish is well because it's laminated, transparent cherry red. It probably will last a long time and in terms of durability. Put it this way, if my house was getting robbed I'd rather pick up the 12 ton monster than pick up my katana (which is real and sharp).

The pickups were basically as said before, arse. You really can't do anything special when playing solos, etc. I can't really take the guitar and would love smashing it against something big for sometime even though it's the oldest guitar I have. The set up was arse because my G, B and E string always went out of tune. The tuners were fine, it was just my bridge. The action would always be too high causing mega feedback so, I'd have to use heavy gauge strings.

Let's see, this piece of 24 fretted piece of arse was made in China in year 2000. Has 2 volume and tone controls. Made with die cast hardware and 2 humbucking pickups. Rosewood fingerboard with maple set neck and the Double cUtaway SG shape. It came with 3 way pick up control and a red Angus Young style finish. The whole piece of arse came with a free set up, but the pickups barely pickup the G and D string.