JT-50 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-50

Purchased from: Mike Carey Music, Wyandotte

I play rock and folk-rock, and this one did the trick. It sounds pretty good as-is, however, I'm considering switching to brand-name pickups. I'm using a Squier 15 practice amp for now and it works great with it. The sounds I've produced with the 'as-is' setup resembles that of the group 'Creed'. Drop D tuning, unfortunately, with the low action causes some ringing to occur, however it can be adjusted at the bridge. After doing so, no more problems.

I liked it from the first time I saw it. The pictures I saw showed gold-plated hardware; however, mine came in silver. I like the SG style, but can't afford a Gibson, and Ephiphone is too cheesy as well. Being a lefty there aren't any other choices really. Samick was an option but they don't make lefty guitars. Jay Turser did and at an affordable price in a styling I like and with quality that will ensure I have this guitar for years to come. Upon modifying it for my personal taste, you couldn't beat it with a Gibson if you tried. I'm quite happy with my purchase and as an 'intermediate' guitar student of 1 year, anyone could appreciate the value and quality of a Jay Turser.

The guitar is supposedly "lighter than the real SG" from things I've read, however, I've not had a real SG to test that out with. The finish is very nice and can withstand a beating. The strap buttons are well placed and felt padded to preserve the finish. The freboard finish seems a bit thin as already I've worn it off on my most-used frets. It isn't noticable at all unless held up to the light. Maybe in a few years it will have that interesting worn-out look that people shoot for wth their instruments- proving their worth and their years of honorable use. I can depend on this model to do the job definitly, granted you've corrected the tuner problem!

Right out of the box, the guitar worked o.k.- the D'Addario strings, however, were too low a guage for me and so playing any chords, espeically bar chords caused the tuning to get sharp. In a nut-shell, the stock strings suck, so look forward to that. The other problem is with some of the tuners, they're pretty crappy and in-sensitive, worth replacing for sure. Trying to get it 100% perfectly in-tune is a little problematic. What did you expect from China? Get something better and you'll be acing!

- Made in China - 22 frets -Rosewood fretboard - Cheap tuners - Humbucking pickups - 2 volume and 2 tone knobs