JT-50 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-50

Purchased from: MusicLandCentral

I'm an SG and Angus Young fan, and this guitar can hang. The pickups are solid and produce suprising tone for a guitar in this price point. Don't get me wrong, they're no 490s, but miles above the microphonic crap they put on comparable Epiphone SGs. I play through Vintage? 1980s 100 watt acoustic brand solid state combo. I get great tone with the JT-50 and muddy feedback with an Epi. Only real gripe is the pots. They're cheap, don't taper much, and drop off around 3.

If you're a starving student on budget that likes SGs and rockin' the Young brother's riffs, then this guitar is for you. I've been playing 10+ years and I've played Gibson SGs, LPs, Ibanez and the big F-er. I tried out the cheaper Epiphone SGs and they don't hold a candle to the JT-50. My wife's made me whittle my collection down to this and an old Yamaha acoustic until I get my degree (and reward myself with an SG Standard and Marshall half stack. If it were stolen I would curl up in the fetal position and suck my thumb for a couple hours, then I'd wash my thumb, wipe my tears and go buy another one. At $200 a pop I might just buy second one for kicks.

MusicLandCentral set it up prior to shipping and did an excellent job (big kudos to MusicLandCentral/Sanatoga Music). I bought the guitar to practice setup/maintenance, so I've torn it apart and put it back together. Only flaws I found are a bit of stain slop on the neck joint and some crooked screws holding the pickguard and electronics covers on. Fret wire's a bit on the tinny side, but better than most at this price point.