JT-50 review by Jay Turser

• Reviewer's score: 5.4 Decent
Jay Turser: JT-50

Purchased from: Sam Ash Music

I play (try to) almost evrything within the rock, bues, jazz, and punk genre. Sometimes metal. I haven't really defined what I play. This guitar has okay cleans, but leaves more to be desired. Driven sounds suck due to the fact that I'm running it through an Marshall MG10. I have played it through a Yorkville amp and a Vox, but it's not that much better.

I've beeen playing for 3 years now. I don't have a lot of gear, just this guitar, the crap MG, and a nice Yamaha acoustic. If this were stolen I'd laugh my arse off at WHY someone would steal it. If Ihad to do this again, I would have kept my Squier '51, an overall better guitar. Right now I'm looking at getting a Mustang or a Telecaster. I hope that comes into the scene soon because this guitar is just dying for absolutely no reason, and theirs no value or worth enough to bring it back.

This guitar could gig if you wanted it to. The hardware, besides for the input jack is sturdy. No issues with the nut of bridge. Strap buttons hold up suprisingly well. You could gig without a backup but I wouldn't cause I think this guitar sounds awful. I don't gig and the finish is already suffering massive damage. I can't imagine it gigging.

Action was suprisingly okay from factory. Nothing loose or shakey, at first. Now I'm having trouble with the input constantly falling apart from the inside (washers on the inside fall out of place)I've had to fix this a few times now. The finish as I said is complete rubbish. The flaking is ridiculous. The slightest bump and a huge chunk falls off. And I'm not voilent with it. The pickup selector has held up through rapid switching though.

This guitar was made in China and has 22 frets on a nice rosewood fretboard and is basically an SG copy. I can't find out anything on the body but judging by it's weight I'd say plywood. It has the Standard SG layout but for some reason the tone controls aren't that responsive. It's two humbuckers and a Tune-O-Matic. Tuners are generic. It did come with a shit cable and an allen wrench. The finish is very sloppy and prone to chipping relativly large flakes.

COBHC_inurface
    i own one of these beasts and paid 179 for it. i put gauge .11 dadario's on it. i tuned it to drop-c and the only problem i had was i had to lower the action and adjust the tuno-matic because i drop the tuning and put on heavier gauged strings. it sounds great and fits just about every style of music possible. i've played it playing jazz, rock, punk, grunge, heavy to thrash metal, and blues. it fit's all styles. it's versatile, lighter than most sg's out there, and gets a great sound. my jt-50 came perfectly made. no loose connections, no chips, scratches, or looseness, and the pick-ups were raised perfectly. as soon as you lower the bridge for the action, it solos great. it also fits rythm excellent too. palm muting, harmonics(pinch and natural) come out great. speed picking, sweep picking, and hammer-ons and pull-offs are brought out great. for this price, this guitar is a steal. if someone stole or it, or i lost it somehow, i would deffinately get another one. first i would kill who stole it and the steal that person's wallet and buy another.
    Angus_Junior35
    I own one, and it is definetly my guitar of choice. P.S. guy number three: it's you, not the guitar!