JT-50 review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-50

Purchased from: Guitar Center. Tonawanda, New York

The "style" of music that I play, varies wildly dependind upon my mood. And this Jay Turser JT-50 is as versitile as my imagination is. In other words, this guitar can keep up with whatever I decide to play. The amp that I use most often with this guitar is my Fender, "Super Champ XD", along with my DigiTech "RP-50 Modeling Guitar Processor". Together, they provide a powerful combination that brings this JT-50 "ALIVE WITH A VENGENCE"! As far as the sound goes... the selector switch set to "Rhythm", provides a "Throaty" bass, while set to "Treble", can be somewhat "Tinny". However, with a little bit of experimentation... this axe can, "growel like a bear and screech like an ealge"! Your talent and imagination is it's ONLY limit.

Wheather I'm playing "Old Style Punk" or "Country" this Jay Turser JT-50 seems to keep up with me quite well. I'v been playing guitar for several years now, and have owned many a "low-end" guitar in the past; ie) First Act, Daisy, Squire etc... and as far as "low-ends" go, this JT-50 has them all beat! The only thing I wish it had is better pick-ups. The generic Humbuckers are fine, but I'm thinking about changing them to some Alnico P-90's. If it ever disappeared... I'd replace it with the same one straight away. And as for features... it has just about everything I need in a guitar. Overall, for the price and performance this guitar provides... other "low-end" guitars just can't compare. So if you're in the market for an inexpensive, quality guitar, give the Jay Turser JT-50 a serious audition. And as alway's, ROCK ON!

When I go out to play a "live" gig, this Jay Turser is usally my first choice. The sound, action and durability of it's overall construction is (in my words) OUTSTANDING! This guitar can withstand an enormous amount of abuse. I personally have dropped it, kicked it, knocked it over and it still comes back for more! As for bringing a back-up with me... I have'nt found a reason yet. The durability of it's finish is "average" though.. nothing special there. It will wear away and chip, just like any other "low-end" guitar. My only problem with durability is: I keep breaking strings. But that's MY problem, NOT the guitars. But the tuners are exceptional though, once it's tuned, it stays tuned. "Will the guitar/hardware last a long time"? Well, as with any other guitar, periodic maintainence is the key to longevity. And that all depends on it's owner.

The factory "set-up" was disappointing, practically nill. Almost everything had to be re-done from scratch. Bridge, saddles, truss... just about everything was off. Fortunately, the "Guitar Tech" at Guitar Center was an extremely knowelegable and talented professional. He had this JT-50, "up and running" in no time. Other than the issues listed above, everything else was fine. The pick-ups were tuned properly, frets were seated correctly, and all applicable hardware was securely fastened. The finish contains no flaws that I have noticed to date.

The Jay Turser JT-50 that I own, was made in Hong Kong, Peoples Republic of China, in the year of our lord 2011. This JT-50's body is made of Mahogany, and is of a "Double Cut" styling. The neck is also made of Mahogany, with a 22 fret Rosewood fingerboard. All hardware on this guitar is chrome. Starting at the top...This JT-50 boasts of a classic 1950's style headstock featuring Jay Turser's patended signature, along with their "Mother of Pearl" inlay logo. The tuners are non-locking generic ones, accompanied by an ivory nylon nut. Residing on it's fretboard are white nylon "Pearl Dot" fretmarkers. The body's hardware consists of two chrome covered Humbucker Pickups, two tone and two volume controls, one three-way selector switch, a "Tune-O-Matic" adjustable bridge and stop tailpiece and finally, a black plastic pickguard with a highlighted white border resting on a super high-gloss black luster "mirror-like" finish. The guitar came with no extras.

KillerKale
    I didn't have any trouble reading his review? What country are you from dude?
    rv_phoenix
    Jay Turser is a reliable purveyor of good budget workhorses. In fact, along with Cort, it's one of the most outrageously underestimated guitar companies nowadays. Tursers are not only good enough to play a decent gig on them, but, since they use proper wood, well crafted, are an affordable base for modding. Add two Wilkinson humbuckers, new Seymour Duncan tone & volume pots, a set of JinHo tuning pegs, rewire and reinsulate everything, and you got yourself a great axe, for less than 400 euros. That's a steal. I truly appreciate Jay Turser, too bad I can't buy one from a music shop in my country, since it doesn't have a dealer here (and I never buy axes online).
    Sorry, I'll "remember" that for the next review. lol
    Kurt1964
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Oh and when you say (with quotation marks) "guitar tech" it seems like you were sarcastic when you said that.
    I used quotations in "guitar tech", because I had some reservations about man himself. As talented as he is, he just seemed a little "odd" is all. I guess I should have pointed that out, or just left it out all together.
    MaggaraMarine
    KillerKale wrote: MaggaraMarine wrote: It annoys me how Kurt1964 uses quotation marks in his review all the time. Like Fender Super Champ XD isn't "Super Champ XD". Leave the quotation marks. And "live" gig? It's very hard to read when you use those damn quotation marks!!I didn't have any trouble reading his review? What country are you from dude?
    Well, I didn't have that much problems, I pretty much exaggerated when I said it's really hard to read. It wasn't that hard but it was annoying to read. Well, maybe I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, I mean that my grammar is not perfect but some kind of things really annoy me like using too much quotation marks. And I'm from Finland. So I understood what he was saying but I was annoyed.
    Kurt1964
    Hi guy's! I've just re-read my review, and I made an error. I paid $229.99 for this axe, and not the $129.99 that I listed it as. Sorry for the muck-up.
    eighteyedspy
    These guitars have a maple neck and an alder or basswood body, depending on the production run. They are not all mahogany.