JT-LTCUSTOMDLX review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: JT-LTCUSTOMDLX

Purchased from: eBay

This thing is astounding for the price paid. The humbucker provides a really good range of sounds in conjunction with the bridge single coil; bridge pickup only delivers a snappy twang much like the real deal, great for alt-rock like Modest Mouse, infact I use this setting whenever I'm doing chordwork as it sounds really snappy. Middle pickup is great for leads and chords, as it delivers body with the HB and brights from the SC. HB only position is very lovely; it's a kind of middy sounding smoothness that is great for clean blues and jazz, or with overdrive, sounds great as a velvetty lead. I was planning on replacing the pickups but after playing it for a while I'm not touching a damn thing (except for tuners and electronics). I run it through a Vox AD30VT combo amp which does everything from cleans to nu-metal rectified distortion and this guitar seems to have been just maaaade for the amp. Very very versatile guitar; people look confused to see such a bright and shiny looking guitar deliver evil sounds.

I play all kinds of music, from heavy distortion prog to clean Indie-pop, and it fits all purposes beautifully. It was a little hard to get used to at first; it's a naturally bright guitar (as it is all maple), but now that I'm used to it I use it for everything. I also own a Squier Jagmaster which I bought on a whim (and due to a it being an amazing deal at the pawn shop), and though it's a fun guitar, it doesn't hold a candle wick to the JT. If it were stolen I would not hesitate to replace it (though not before trying to track the SOB thief down first), and based on some clips of me playing this, some of my friends have expressed huuge interest in this (one actually ordered one recently). Not sure what else to say, if you're on a budget, buy this guitar. If you're not on a budget, buy one.

I haven't played a gig with this guitar yet but I've jammed several times and it has only ever been a great guitar. I'd rely on this guitar for sure. It's fallen a few times (family and pets), but you would not know it, the nut is a little chipped, but it doesn't affect the strings or the tuning whatsoever.

I'm good friends with a local luthier and guitar maker, and the last time he was over I brought my amp and this guitar down and asked him to try it out (and I put a shirt over the headstock). He played it for a while and asked where I got the money for the guitar, so I showed him that it was a Jay Turser and explained that I paid $210 for it. Needless to say he was very impressed; quality of wood, construction, and tone were all far past his preconceived notions of a $200 guitar (and mine as well). It arrived in good intonation (thought out of tune, being shipped from the states to Canada), and I've not done a single thing to this guitar since I got it (It is now March of 08, and I received the guitar in June of 07). Very well put together guitar.

This is a Telecaster clone I bought off eBay new for $210CDN shipped. Flamed maple top, maple neck, MOP pickguard, gold hardware. Humbucker in the bridge. Standard Telecaster features; string through bridge tone and volume, 3-way switch, passive electronics. Pretty beautiful looking actually, and built quite well. The frets were all very smooth. 21 fat-ish frets. There is also a cream binding on both top and bottom. Made in China I believe. The tuners are more or less cheapies, which I plan on replacing, and the pickups are unnamed, but sound quite nice. The electronics need some replacing (the volume knob isn't as tapered as I'd like), but it's all here and it all works.

teknotard
    I am glad to see people like the Jay tursers. I have been contimplating buying one for sometime. Too bad I just got a 2400 car bill.
    acerst
    ugh sucks for the car, i have a jay Turser Semihollow. amazing. you can mess with the tone soo much. its awesome
    BluesGuitar23
    ..i like the tele style. very cool i like the big fat gibson lookin humbucker and srry, bout the car bill dont worry, 2 weeks and u might hav it! =]
    alex_hnatiuk
    It's a cheap enough guitar that you shouldn't have too much trouble once your payments are in order.. priorities! =]
    MacAdam
    i got a jay turser but i duno what kind it is (its not on the site nd i think its a warlock copy) if u think u know what it is check my profile plz
    teknotard
    yeah- if i wass woring itwouldnt be such aproblem with the car- but i go to school full time and there is no time to work