Warlord review by Jay Turser

Jay Turser: Warlord

Purchased from: Private Collection

The sound/action is quite simply a shredders dream! The uniquely styled open Custom Humbuckers are engineered specifically to handle insane licks and leads, favoring the metal genre. Though I rarely play metal, when I do, the Warlord is my guitar of choice. The amp that I normally use for this beast is my friends 1969 Marshall Super Lead 100. Clean sounds great, with absolutely NO buzz/humm at all. And as far as effects go, this axe can easily handle any effect pedal you can throw at it! Depending on the setting/effect you use, this JT can... "Growel like a bear, or screech like an eagle". In other words, this guitar was born with PURE ATTITUDE! On it's own, it has a limited variety of sound. This is due to no tone control feature. But with today's modern effects, who needs it? What's the drawback of no tone control? You wind up by spending a lot of money on pedals and/or effects.

The style of music that I play is primarily is Classic Rock. But I occasionally enjoy loosing my mind, and busting out with some insane metal riffs. And this Jay Turser Warlord seems to keep up with me quite well. I've been playing for some time now, and have owned many a guitar in my day. And IMO, the Warlord is well suited for any form of fast and furious rock. Though I have always wanted a Jay Turser Warlord, I did in fact check out other brands of "V" style guitars. Gibson, Epiphone and Dean make fine guitars, but as for style sake (which is what I love the most), the Warlord has them all beat! And sure, I did pay a lot of money for this guitar, and you can most certainly find them cheaper all over the web, keep this in mind... The Warlord was designed for primarily metal, and thus the case, most used Warlords have had the heck beat out of them. So if you're looking for one in premier condition, take my advice and seek out a private collector, it'll be worth the effort. The guitar is great as it is, but what I wish it had is two vol's and two tone controls. I'd like to be able to play both pickups against each other. But I guess we can't have everything. Lost or stolen? First off, I think I'd be sick. But I would definitely get another one straight away. And if you ask me, the bottom line is this... If you're in the market for a Flying V Style Guitar and you want superior quality, give the Jay Turser Warlord a serious audition. Quite simply, IT WILL BLOW YOU AWAY!

Okay, lets talk about that. Here's the deal... The neck, body and all it's hardware is solid. No complaints there at all. It's superbly crafted body and it's electronic's are well suited for all live playing. It is this man's opinion that bringing a "back up" is completely unnecessary. But the guitar's finish is another story alltogether. It's clearcoat is less than adequate. It's suprisingly very thin. For a guitar that was designed for the metal style of play, one would expect the clearcoat protectorant to be of a higher quality. But that is not the case with this guitar. With all the hard playing, or abuse, that is associated with playing metal, the clearcoat is insufficient. It is highly susseptable to scratching and denting. Very disappointing. However, as with any guitar, regular preventive maimtainence is the key to longevity. And with regular maintainence, I can foresee this guitar lasting for a long time to come.

Since I purchased this Jay Turser Warlord from a private collector, the seller already had the guitar completely set-up, and with it's action set low, very low. The pickups needed no adjustment. The neck is spot on accurate, with no fret buzz at all. The stock tuners are superb. Once tuned, it stay's tuned. No drifting with this baby! Though as with any guitar, if you're bending strings... Guess what? You're re-tuning it. I've had this guitar for some time now, and have cleaned/conditioned it many times. And as far as I can tell, the body and most it's hardware is flawless. The Jay Turser Corp. definitely put an extra-ordinary effort in building and assembling this guitar, and can easily rival any Gibson or Fender Custom Shoppe(s). Doubt my word? Take one for a test Drive and see for yourself! Now to the Gold: As with ANY simulated Gold Finished hardware, a degree of "fadeing" is inevitable, and this Jay Turser is not immune. But the fadeing seems to be localized to just the tail piece only. The input port and volume control is solid(no scratching). The Tune-o-Matic Bridge is very well constructed as well, I have nary heard a saddle buzz the entire time that I've owned it. Pound for pound, this particular Warlord is worth every penny I paid! Here's the drawback: The simulated Bone Nut is designed for extra-thin strings only. It will not accommodate the diameter of a Traditional blues or jazz style string. So keep that in mind if you're planning on getting one of these incredible guitars.

The year of manufacture is 2005. However, I purchased this Jay Turser Warlord used in 2010, from a Private Collection. The country of origin is unknown(most likely China). So here's the run down (starting at the top)... The Headstock: Triangular in shape, it slightly resembles a Bat. It features the Traditional "Jay Turser" Signature Logo, Arched Triangular Truss Rod Cover, Six Sealed Diecast Tuners, and a Synthetic Bone Nut. The Neck: This guitar features a Set Neck. It has 22 Frets on a Rosewood Fingerboard mounted on a Maple back with a fully adjustable Truss Rod. The Fret Markers are Ablone Rectangles outlined with a Mother of Pearl border. The Body: A Semi-Traditional "V" with five cut-outs, giving the Warlord a unique flavour all it's own. This guitar boasts of two open, Custom Humbucker Pickups, a Heavy~Duty Tun-o-Matic Bridge with individual adjustable saddles, a Crescent shaped Tail Piece leading to a string-through body, one Volume Control, one 3~Way selector Switch, and a flush mount input jack located on the face of the lower wing. This particular Warlord is in Gloss Black, highlighted by a Mother of Pearl purfering border with white Binding. All it's hardware is simulated Gold Finish. The only extra that came with this guitar was a high quality GB Brand Padded Gig Bag.

Tarsplitter
    whencowsfart101 wrote: That looks totally crap. The BC Rich Draco worked, but this sucks.
    Compared to Draco this thing looks freaking amazing.