Jag Review

3,152
review (1) 3 comments vote for this gear:
Jag Reviewed by: ketchil52, on march 02, 2011

Purchased from: Reaktion Studios

Features: J&D Jag, Fender Jaguar/Jazzmaster style. $100.00, shop-soiled off EBay (only bidder), RRP is about $450.00. Made in China 2010. 22 Frets, medium, 648mm scale, Alder (I think), Deep Sea Green/Blue in colour, 2xHumbuckers, Strat type trem, 1V/1T/1Switch, simple tuners nothing else. Simple, which is perfect for me. // 7

Sound: P-ups are crap, with or without sound effects, but then I didn't expect much for the price. They sounded like humbuckers but not much by way of flavour, etc... Were cheeeap Chinese made, but hey it was made in China afterall. The 3-switch worked and the humbuckers worked so I guess that's a "2" // 2

Action, Fit & Finish: This is where it all falls apart. Saddles were all in a straight line and raised to the top of their saddle screws, so action was way off and intonation non-existant. The pickguard was very badly finised in that there were burs hanging off all around the inside where the humbuckers sit. The neck had two badly inset frets one at the 12th which was sunken on the E/B/G, and one at the 5th which was sunken on the E/A/D. No amount of fret leving would solve the problem, only a fret replacement of those frets would suffice. SO bread and butter chords and solos just weren't on. The trem arm didn't screw in propperly either, though it screwed into another trem with no prob, so I assume the thread in the trem was neutered, because it was the thinner trem not the 5.5-6mm one. The truss rod was way way over wound and it took me quite some effort to move it and straighten up the neck to normal. This is worse than the TTM I got, but thank god I only paid $100.00 for it // 1

Reliability & Durability: As is, it was definately not reliable or durable, but now after I fixed, it's great, but it's not a J&D any more. I sold the tuners, nut and string tee's, the bridge, the humbuckers & harness, and the truss rod for $115.00 all up so, I basically got a body (which was solid & full size by the way, ie 45mm), scratchplate, backing plate and strap buttons for free with some profit. I gave the neck to a friend who wanted to try some fret leveling, so even it didn't get wasted, because I was going to burn it - just didn't feel right to sell it. I added a loaded Fender Squire "Standard" neck, a Wilkinson big block trem, Gretsch Filtertrons, and CTS pots, Sprague Cap and Gibbo Switch, (cost about $250.00 - but I had them lying about anyhow). Now it sounds and plays as good as anything out there in it's style. Better than a MIM Jaguar, for way way less. // 1

Overall Impression: Total pile of crap that a beginer would have ended up paying loads of money to get fixed, if he knew what the prob was. Been playing since the early 60's, and am still trucking. I build, rebuild and repair guitars as a side buisness since I've retired and gig regularly (about 3-4 times a fortnight), doing 50-80's rock mainly. I sold it for $550.00 and made a profit on outlay, that basically covered my time. and a bit more. It took me 4hrs to convert/re-build, and re-dremel the scratchplate, and the new owner is wrapped and so is the Mrs 'cos I made a profit hehehe!!!! If it was stolen as it was, I would have been out of pocket a $100.00, but I don't think the thief would have even got beer money for it.... (appologies for any spelling or typo's) Cheers. // 1

Comments