JD-LC3 review by J&D

J&D: JD-LC3

Price paid: A$ 150

Purchased from: Private Sale

Made in China (sticker at the back of headstock) or, by some sources in Taiwan. No idea how old but it was in good condition when I bought it second hand. It has 22 fret, the neck is very similar to the Gibson/Epiphone Les Paul necks. Tune-o-Matic bridge. 4 controls (tone/volume), 3-way pick up selector. Typical Les Paul stuff. Does not come with hard case. Equipped with stock high gain Wilkinson Alnico pickups. A solid Mahogany body, Rosewood fingerboard with block inlays and set Maple neck

Well. Let's make it clear. I am reviewing a budget guitar not a Gibson Les Paul. I guess J&D can be compared with Epiphone Les Pauls (Standard and Standard Plustop PRO and Custom - which I owned). It is also a ratio of price and what you get for it. I will elaborate further in my review. J&D is equipped with stock high gain Wilkinson Alnico pickups. I find them better than Epiphone Alnico or ProBucker humbuckers which I find a bit muddy. Clean sounds are quite good as well as distorted - good sustain and harmonics. I find sound variations between bridge and neck pickups better than Epis. It would suit best for blues/rock.

Lowered strings, Raised pickups. Put D'Addario 10-46 on. Neck is straight, No fret buzz. Neck is comfortable. No concerns whatsoever. Gold hardware a bit worn but that is typical for all gold hardware - hey, it is a second hand guitar. I got mine second hand for A$150 ($599 retail, had to clean it but under the dust there was quite a nice guitar. It stays in tune. Input jack was a bit loose and I had to fix it (it probably needs to be replaced some time in the future) but that can be due to previous owner mistreatment.

It will definitely withstand live playing. It feels like a solid, decent guitar. Hardware seem to be a Wilkinson Gold hardware - good quality. Solid strap buttons - a bit larger than standard. I would probably take a back up guitar to a gig - but that is just me, you never know what may happened :-). Paint job seem to be good. Except the gold hardware wear, no other complaints. As I mentioned not sure what the issue with input jack is - but can be fixed for a couple of bucks and in a few minutes.

It seems slightly lighter than Epiphone Les Pauls. Mine is white with gold hardware and black pickguard - finish seems to be quite good (again, similar to Epis). I play rock, blues, alternative, punk. I also have American Strat and an oldie Vox Custom 25. Wanted an LP style guitar without breaking the bank and J&D delivered. If stolen probably would buy it secondhand again at a good price. I would choose J&D over above mentioned Epis - they are cheaper but sound better and finish is quite similar.